Job application DISCRIMINATION?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meditationlotus, Aug 11, 2008.

1. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

Today I filled out an application with a local temp agency.
    While filling out different forms, some nosey questions were asked. One was "Have you ever been on food stamps".
    (I haven't, but in my situation that could happen.)

Now, why would they ask such a question? It sounds very discriminatory. Can anyone think of a logical, good, nondiscrimnatory reason why they would ask such a question?

2. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

can't think of why they would ask, but one employer told me "I don't hire single mothers, they are not reliable"

Could be the same thought process.

I would ignore the question as if I just skipped over it.

3. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

Do you have the app. still? I worked for a large group building job aplications and the question about food stamps is beyond the boundries they are allowed to use. If I were you I would contact your local Better Business Bureau.

4. k5334

k5334 New Member

I have been in Human Resources and that question is illegal. I would go to the government's Department of Labor website and find a number to report their application.
  5. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

They can get a kick back from the government for getting people of ssi. had that question last yr. so thats how I know.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Asking if you are on food stamps or statements such as a policy on single mothers, are indeed illegal.

They are also reportable.

You would think in this day and age people would know better. I can't think of any logical, nondiscrimnatory reason for asking such questions.

I would be curious why they would ask such a question. Like the above poster advised, I would just leave the question blank.

Good luck.

7. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

I am really nervous about working for this company. I have been a substitute teacher for a school corporation. I had it worked out with them that I would call them on the days that I felt up to it, because I never knew from one day to the next how I would feel. They have a new superientendent who decided to outsource the substitute hiring to the temp agency. I don't know how sympathetic they would be to my illness, especially after reading that discriminatory question.

The teaching jobs will be listed on the computer or automated over the telephone, and I can accept and reject the jobs on my own time, which for me would be that morning. That part I am comfortable with. But now I am worried that the teachers in the school may think that I am sitting too long (I have neurally mediated hypotension) and report me to this agency as being "lazy". (The school corporation office would have tolerated this because they were desperate for substitutes, but this agency sounds pretty cold.)

Can I report them anonymously to the government or Better Business Bureau? If I reported them anonymously, is there a way that they could still find out it was me? Also, do I report it to the State Government Department of Labor or the Federal Government?

Thanks for all of your answers.

[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2008]