Job Going Well

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, everyone. I hope y'all are doing well. Just wanted to post an update to let you know that the job is going well for me. It can be a bit physical but I think I'm at the point in my healing that I need some exercise. I was really sore after the first few times I worked but it's getting better all the time. I worked six hours on Wed. and y'all can imagine how busy a supermarket is the day before Thanksgiving.

Our store prides itself on giving the best possible customer service and people really like it. I told my kids, "How nice to be paid for just being nice to people." I think my body will benefit from the increased exercise (geez, I'm being paid to exercise too :) and I know my outlook and emotions definitely improve with the good-natured give and take with the customers.

On Wed., they catered a feast for us for lunch. We had turkey and ham with other goodies, including pies. It's a family- and employee-owned chain. We get profit sharing bonuses and stock and I will get raises. The pay isn't great but there is absolutely no pressure. There is also no supervision. I know my job and just go in and do it. I think this is going to be perfect for me.

Thank you all so much for your support all the time I was job searching, recovering from the cold I got at the first place I tried to work at, and your sweet and kind good wishes for success. I've always said it, "You guys are the best!"

Love, Mikie

LEFTYGG Member

ive been on this board a long time and have always admired your knowlede of this dd aand your kindness.

i dont post much cause my typing skills stink and i get frustrated.

im so happy your job is going good. we have a condo in n ft myers we will be there in dec would you mind if i stopped in the store to meet you

i wouldnt interrupt just a hi if youd feel uncomfortable with that i understand thx love gail
  3. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

It sounds wonderful.

Knew you could do it!!!

With much love.

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

glad to hear you're doing so well at work and a Thanksgiving dinner on top - excellent!!

Being happy is the most important thing not the money and you certainly sound like you're enjoying it.

I like to hear how you're getting on at work.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Gail, it would be great to meet you. Thank you for your kind words. My store is quite a way from NFM. It's pretty far south on MacGregor and Gladiolus. It's already getting crowded down here with the Snowbirds. We are also getting a lot of European visitors as it's really cheap for them now to come here. They buy a lot of thing to take home. This is the bright spot in the horrible housing slump going on here.

Again, everyone, thanks so much for all your support and interest.

Love, Mikie

LEFTYGG Member

we go to macgregor to the beach ill write nearer the time to see your schedule,

we ll be there dec 22 it would be fun to see you

thx love gail
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

It's great to know your job is going well! Even better knowing you work with kind people who respect each other.

I admire you very much. Many prayers have been said, hoping all was well. Looks as if they've been answered!

Take care Mikie!

Gentle Hugs,

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Last night was my first night of closing. I worked til 11:00. I knew I had to clean the vestibule where the carts are kept but I had no idea what all it involved. I had to move several hundred carts by myself. I had to vacuum, sweep, mop, and clean out garbage cans. I thought I was going to die. I have been in pain all day. I am going to tell them I can't do it tomorrow.

Also, I've only been getting about 14 hrs. a week even though I told them I needed 20-24. I found out that no one is getting that many hours and after the Snowbird season, the hours will be dropped. I'm upset about it because I turned down another job with 24 hrs. because I had already started this job. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if that job is still open. I don't understand why they either lie or don't tell the truth when hiring. It just causes turnover. This is the second job where they said one thing about scheduling and then didn't live up to it. In any case, that's a moot point. I simply cannot do the closing which entails such hard labor and strain on the body.

Thanks again for all your good wishes. I really do appreciate them. Eventually, something I love and can do, with the right hours, will turn up.

Love, Mikie

BILLCAMO New Member

You're feeling good enough to return to work !

You may not see this in time , but it may be best to "exercize" a little patience too. After reading all the good you've been experiencing , they may work with you and give you what you need in the near future. Even good companies sometimes throw out "tests" for their new employees. And they will "flex" for exceptional people.

With someone as good as you , they may find the flexibility to work with you AND give you more hours. It will most likely take a little more time. But , they don't have the experiences with you in both time and what you have done on this board as we here have had the blessings of having !!!!!!!!!

All I can try to do is return some of the same support & help that you have given so many people on this board over the years.......I hope this helps YOU!......

Blessings ,

( But it can be difficult to be patient when you're hurtin' & suckin'[This Message was Edited on 11/25/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2007]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your kindness. I'm about to jump in the shower and go see the guy from Toyota who offered me a job after I had taken the one at Publix. I hope it is still open. In either case, I will be calling the store today to tell them about my problem. I doubt it will do any good. They seem to not care how well anyone does. Everyone is just another body to them.

I can't let any job put me back into remission again. The bagging was just the right amt. of exercise but the closing is too much. IF they were to give me the hours I need and IF they were to tell me I don't have to close, I would stay but the chances of that are about the same as a snowball in hell.

Take care and thanks again for being such a nice guy.

Love, Mikie
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Wow! The perfect job for you. They pay you to be nice and they treat you like an important family member. Who could ask for more?

I'm very thankful you have found this job, Mikie. God has perfect timing, and this is an example of that.

Hope the week goes well.

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know whether or not I will have a job. I'll find out tomorrow. I told them I could not close and do the heavy cleaning involved. My mgr. said to work my shift tomorrow and she would see what she can do. I hope she can fix it. I really do love the job and, without the closing duties, it is just the right amt. of exercise for my at this point in my healing.

Again, thanks for your kind good wishes.

Love, Mikie
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

You like the job, they like you...and now this. I'm sure the closing will be much too much physical activity for you.

So, you'll work tomorrow and they will let you know? I surly hope it all works out.

However, I do recall, I think, that there was another job opportunity that came up after you took this that still an option if this doesn't work out?

It's a little irritating, you know. You get hired and then there are the things they don't tell you before you, you may have to close.

Praying for a good outcome. Sheesh! I was so pleased with your report.

It will work out for the best!

BILLCAMO New Member

positive vibes , 4-leaf clovers , crossed fingers , and everything else good in hopes this works out the way it should !!!!!!! :>)

Blessings ,

15. victoria

victoria New Member

Oh Mikie, hope they'll work out something with you tomorrow.

They sounded SO "pro-retirees" I was hoping it would all work out for you... it doesn't seem like, to me, that some of the older people working at Publix here could do all that either?

Very strange they all would lie like that, it does seem really counter-productive on the employers' parts... how sad!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! -and hoping you don't have to do closing again so soon, so you're not thrown into another flare! Hmmm, if you're supposed to, maybe you shouldn't? Please take care!

All the best,

16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I will know by today what they decide. I shopped at the Publix near me and a retired man says he only works weekdays and never beyond 6:00 p.m., so I know that, depending on the mgr., they can accommodate people.

I stopped in at Toyota and the job is being offered to a man today. If he doesn't accept it, the mgr. said he will call me. The guy will probably take the job, so I'm not counting on it.

I believe everything happens for a reason, so if this works out, great, and if not, I'll find something else.

Thanks again, everyone. I hope you find a job, Elaine, and I hope everyone else who wants to work can find a good job. It is really hard one which works out well.

Love, Mikie

BILLCAMO New Member

I hope no news is good news !!!!!! :>)

Blessings ,

18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am being trained as a cashier. They scheduled me for every day this week, more than 30 hrs. I need to talk to the mgr. and get her to understand that I just can't do this. Oy! First, too few hrs. and now, too many hrs.

Thanks for your interest. I'm giving it two weeks to see if I can get a decent schedule worked out.

I just got back from Atlanta today. My SIL had his hernia repaired and I've been there since last Thurs. At least, the store is good about giving time off when requested.

Love, Mikie
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Glad you're able to pick up some extra cash. I think I am going to have to get a lot more creative about working but I'm not sure how. It's neigh impossible to find part-time work here for 20-24 hrs. a week. I think a lot depends on the store. I met an older man at another store who bags only daytime hrs. and never weekends. I don't mind weekends but they have me scheduled 7 1/2 hrs. some days, 8 1/2 hrs. with lunch. That's just too much.

Best of luck with the babysitting.

Love, Mikie
  20. desertlass

desertlass New Member

That closing job sounds like something they should have a young, strong teenage boy doing all that, especially if it's at night.

Anyway, when I hurt my back and got sick six years ago, I had to use a nanny service. It sounds like Jam is her own agent, but I also discovered that there are tons of agencies that hire and place people for all KINDS of jobs.

Some of them were-- sitting with elderly people as a companion to read their mail, or help with small tasks; or run errands or be like a concierge service to the wealthy-- personal shopping, driving people to where they want to go, housesitting, pet sitting, tutoring, it just goes on and on.

For the nanny service, I think the pay rate was ten dollars an hour with a four hour minimum. I don't know what other services charge. I imagine it depends upon the service and the experience required, etc.

It seemed like the best part was getting to set one's hours, and then if you didn't like the person/place you were working for, the agency would take care of it and find another position, with no uncomfortable scenes.

I just was amazed at this whole self-employed part-time world that I didn't even know existed that was an alternative to retail.

I have no idea what is involved in terms of any possible benefits with these agencies, but I just thought I'd mention them, in case you just want some options to explore.

I can't vouch for this being a good route to go, because I had just started looking for part-time work when everything went awry.

I wish more people saw their job with the public the way that you do-- getting paid just to be nice to people. Wow, can we clone you to work in every store?

I hope and pray that just the right thing works out for you. The workforce will miss out if you're not in it!