Job Interview On Mon. Yea

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As y'all know, I've been looking for a part-time job which I can do and will not run over the SSD cap for earnings. It's $900 a month this year and will go to $940 in 2008. I really don't want a career or big deal job, just a job that gets me out and helps supplement my SSD.

I had filled out an app with the Publix supermarkets here. There are four stores close enough and all can tap into the computerized app. I've been stopping in to introduce myself to the mgrs. when I'm in the stores. I had one call but the mgr. was looking for more hrs. She may call back but I haven't heard from her.

I talked to the store mgr. at the market I was in today and he seemed interested. As we talked, he became more interested and paged the mgr. who oversees the cashiers and customer service people. She also became interested and originally was just going to look up my app and call me next week. Then, she said, "Let's just set up the interview now for next Mon."

After talking with her, I ran into the store mgr. and he asked if I got to talk to the woman he had paged. I told him she set up an interview for Mon. He said, "Great! I look forward to having you work in our store."

Now, I know you shouldn't count your chickens but there seemed to be such a positive response from them both. The store is short handed and they liked it that I can work any days. I made it clear that I am only looking for 20-24 hrs. a week. The mgr. said that would be no problem. Publix is known for working with their employees, especially retired people, to work out schedules.

I'm soooo pumped. That job counselor is getting zilch response and just judging from all his excuses, I doubt he's sent out my resume like he said. It's hard to get a job just sending out hundreds of resumes but I don't have the energy to do it, so if he is, it can't hurt. I just doubt he will be of much help. He seems to think I need a big job even though I've told him I don't. The retired people working in the markets seem to be the happiest.

I'm sure it's difficult for a young professional (or, at least a professional wannabe who doesn't know how) to understand that retired people who go back to work don't want big-time stressful jobs. We've been there, done that. I'm sure he sees it as a waste of my experience, skills, and education to take that kind of job. I don't. I've been in the pressure cooker and I never want it again.

I didn't want a job where I had to stand but at the market, I can wear sneakers with the insoles which take the pressure off my back.

I'll let y'all know after I talk to the mgr. on Mon. Any prayers are much appreciated.

Love, Mikie
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

Sounds good to me especially since they seem so keen to employ you.

You will be in my thoughts on Monday.

TC, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2007]
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

The whole experience sounds so positive. It sounds like you got the job already but of course best to be cautious.

We are rooting for you! Like you said who needs a hi pressure job, surely not I ! I can't take much pressure from anywhere really.

Let us know howit all goes for you.

Go Mikie !!!

Warm hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 11/02/2007]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sounds positive, they want you!! I hope it works out for you Mikie - sounds like a place that takes care of its workers.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your good wishes. The people working there all seem to enjoy themselves so much. That particular stores just has a good, friendly vibe when you walk in.

There is an Albertson's closer to me but the employees are all grumpy and disgruntled all the time. They will stand in front of customers, without even acknowledging them, and complain about management and their jobs. Yikes! I'm sure not all Albertson's are like this but this one is horrible.

I'll let y'all know how the interview goes and thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

This sounds like a great job!!! You can buy some of those new tennis shoes I've been seeing on commercials. They looke real comfy and are great for standing a long time.

7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you for a great outcome Monday! I know you'll do great.

Love, Erika
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

I hope it works, sounds like there are nice people there.

It IS weird how you can tell the 'ambience' of a place, isn't it, by their workers?! More stores and businesses of all kinds should realize that.

I guess that is what 'mystery shoppers' are all about, but imho, I doubt stores hire them often enough!

Anyway, my thoughts are with you!

All the best,

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You guys are the best!

Love, Mikie
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

My prayers are with you..So glad you are feeling up to trying work again..Know what you mean about needing to supplement income..I sure could use one..

I am working 25 hrs. a month assisting the church sec..that is about all I can do..I sure could use 25 hrs a week but couldn't do it..

Keep us posted,
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, I aced the interview and the job was offered and accepted, pending the background check and drug test. I'm squeaky clean (litterally; I just stepped out of the shower :)

I am testing for the TSA, a job I had applied for before this one. The pay is so much better that I could only work two days a week. Don't know whether they'll allow that or not. I can't work nights because I would relapse. I have my sleep regimen all worked out, with the help of the Klonopin, and nothing is worth messing with that. Still, it does hurt to keep the options open.

Love, Mikie