Job Interview Yesterday

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had a really good job interview for part-time customer service. It seems like a perfect fit for me. It's a call-in center for insurance claims for broken auto glass. They set the customers up with appts. to have the replacement glass installed. It's a bit farther to travel than I would like but the pay is better than most part-time jobs here and there are benefits if you work at least 20 hrs. a week. I did a telephone app., filled out a paper app., and met with an HR person for an interview. I also got to sit with a customer service rep and listen to her take a call.

Jobs are really few and far between down here. I'm working with the state vocational rehab center to try to find a job but they won't help me until they get my doc's records. I hope I get a job offer from these people. I would still have to get a physical and drug test.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Any prayers appreciated.

Love, Mikie
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Can I ask if you are being forced into work because your social benefits (USA?) have been stopped or is it because you now feel able to and want to work????

I hope its the latter and I sincerely wish you will get this job. New horizons!! Wonderful.

I've always missed work

[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2007]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope you get the job. Hope the glass business doesn't prove to be Pane-full!

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rosie, I can continue to get my SSD benefits, including Medicare, but it's not enough to live on. I'm digging too deep into savings. SS allows us to work part time on disability but caps our monthly earnings at about $900. If we exceed that for any nine months, we stand to lose our benefits. I really want to work part time and feel that I can manage my symptoms and do it. My doc released me to work up to 20 hrs. if I can stretch for a few minutes every hour and don't have to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. I'm really looking forward to it. I've provided, though safe investments, for my later years when I probably can't or won't want to work. Right now, though, with the cost of everything going up, it's just causing a cash flow problem for me. A part-time job would solve that. Thanks for your good wishes.

Oh, Rock, groan! I just love a good pun and that was a great one! I can see clearly now that this is the job for me. It's the window of opportunity I've been waiting for. Thanks for your good wishes, and the pun, too.

Love, Mikie
  5. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Mikie,

Sounds promising for you. I too miss working and as you said SSD doesn't always leave enough for basics never mind any extras. Most of our area here in Maine has lack in the job market too. I had tried the telemarketing a few years into my health issues but it was out bound calls for sales and completely computer generated so the stress levels were horrible to put it nicely.I walked out with full blown migraines most shifts from the bs some people gave us. In coming calls the person on the other end made the call so it's most often better so I was told.I don't think I could do it right now. Do you feel that you can do 20 hours with the traveling involved? If you've not worked in some time it can get you overtired for awhile. Oh yes be sure that you get a headset if at all possible. Those help so much it's worth the price to get it.

Hope this works well for you.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that was a silly thing for me to say, obviously if you need to work or just plain want to work, I hope you get the job.

I think if you're up to working then it will do you the world of good, I wish it was me. What a feeling to get out there and do something again.

So good luck.

7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Sounds really great. I know how much you've missed working, and I'll keep fingers crossed and prayers comin' your way!

L, Jeannette
  8. jmq

jmq New Member

It sounds like a perfect match for you. I am also glad you are up to it.

Got my fingers crossed for you!

9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I really hope you get the job! It sounds like you are exited about it.

Good Luck!!!!!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rosie, that wasn't silly. It's an honest question because so many of us face financial problems and a lot of us miss working. I appreciate your good wishes and interest.

Weezie, this is customer service in insurance claims and involves no selling. Even though I was always in sales, I just don't think I could do cold calling telemarketing. I'm sorry your job didn't work out for you. They provide really expensive ergonomic chairs and footrests and they also provide nice headsets. I wore one while listening in on a call.

Jeanette, JMQ, and Dar, thank you all so very much for your good wishes too. I really appreciate it.

Love, Mikie

11. justlooking

justlooking New Member

You are amazing. In all the years that I've been on this board, your desire to get better and continue to work despite your setbacks, has been nothing short of inspiring.
    I've never met (or messaged LOL) anyone who is so dedicated to getting better, even when faced with setbacks.
    You are a very strong woman and I stand in awe of your determination for better health.
    I hope some day to have the persistence and fortitude you have shown us on this board.
    I'm not there yet but you make me think about the "what if's" of being a contributing member of the working world again. Maybe someday =)
    Thanks for the inspiration!
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am blushing, I'm so overcome. Thank you so very much.

I have seen how the most successful people become obsessive about success and never give up. I have tried to apply that to healing. I don't think it's healthy to become obsessive to the exclusion of everything else nor is it healthy in the long term; however, it can be useful when researching new treatments. Each treatment has been researched as thoroughly as I am capable of and only tried if the perceived benefits outweigh the potential risks.

One of my goals has been not only to get well, but to encourage others along the way so that they don't feel our illnesses are hopeless. It breaks my heart when I read posts in which you can feel the desperation and feeling of hopelessness.

It does appear that all these years of trying to get well enough to work part time have paid off. I'll know more after I've worked a while. What I do know is that if I had done nothing, I'd likely still be bedridden most of the time and on Morphine and that just isn't acceptable to me. My path may not be for everyone; we are all different, but my hope is that something I've done will be helpful to someone else.

Again, thank you for your good wishes. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Sounds like a good job and that they really try to make it comfortable as well! Amazing really, in this day and age! I really hope it comes thru for you...

I'm curious tho, as to how the call center is set up? My daughter worked for Haband call-in orders. She hated it because they had to work in cubicles, thus couldn't easily meet co-workers, so she felt it was really isolating.

I've worked in a similar situation of people calling in (used to take classified ads in Chicago when in school) but it was totally open where we could talk to each other during slow times etc. I don't think I could work in the situation my daughter was in.

All the best, you deserve it!

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is a HUGE area with all these people sitting at phones. The work areas can't really be called cubicles as they don't have walls except around the computers. When you walk in, you can see almost everyone. I saw groups of people sitting together in the break room. As I mentioned, they looked happy and the HR woman said they really have nice employees.

Years ago, this isn't a job I would have considered but at this point in my life, it's just about ideal. I'm not sure I would want to do it full time. I don't have much of a social life anymore except for my friends in the neighborhood and aren't really interested in socializing outside of work with my co-workers, so it really won't be an issue. I do enjoy getting out of the house and prefer this to working at home. I guess if I get it, only time will tell whether I'll like it.

There is training available to upgrade to learn other positions and get raises but I don't know that I'm really wanting to do more right now than just go to work and get paid. I do enjoy helping people navigate stressful situations and I think helping people with their claims will give me fulfillment.

I'll let y'all know how I like it if I get the job. Training doesn't start til the 23rd.

Thanks for your good wishes. I hope you are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate the encouragement and help (crossed fingers :)

They told me to hurry up and call to get my background check done so I could get my physical and they could make an offer. It really sounds very positive right now.

Love, Mikie
  16. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I wish you the best of luck. I was wondering. Did you say you once worked in the insurance industry? Could you sell health insurance coverage from home?

I started my P&C agency from home office. (I was really lucky to be sponsored by The Hartford). I was thinking about Blue Cross of Blue Shield.

I believe they supply marketing materials free. It doesn't take much in a month to make a decent income.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I surrendered my license because of not using it and having to take continuing ed classes. I have found that health/life insurance, like real estate, requires more than full-time hours and isn't usually for part timers. I'm sure there are exceptions. I'm glad you are able to work from home and make it pay.

One of the reasons I don't want to work at home is that I think it's time I got out in the world more often and working outside my home would do that. There are customer service jobs where you can work at home and the hours are really flexible.

I'm looking for a change as well. I've been in insurance for so long that I think a change of pace and scenery will be good for me.

Thanks for your ideas and good wishes and I also wish you the best of luck with your own home business.

Love, Mikie
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate it. Hope you are doing well. Take care.

Love, Mikie
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so happy for you that you have a job you can do. It's really hard full time, especially for a single Mom. Best of luck. Wow! Company car; that's great!

I appreciate your good wishes. Waiting is the hardest part. I may not get it but if not, I have to believe that there is something even better down the road.

Love, Mikie
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I will send up a prayer that you find what you want. I'm a bit excited about it.

Love, Mikie