Job is the pits

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Christinawensell, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

Hi I have posted before, but never about my current working

postion. I have been employed with a company doing bank

accounting for the past 5 years and have been sick every

single last one of them.

My last review was in March and they said I was an awesome employee (blah, Blah, Blah)

and that they valued me etc, etc, etc but the only thing

they have a issue with is my attendance.

Then this last May I was put on medical leave for a month

during then no one was covering my position, until one week

before I came back and this person was not trained well so

they might as well have left everything. The information

like payroll and accounts payable that he could not do was

backlogged for 2 months. They were thrilled to have me

back. At this time I told them I was not well only coming

back because I needed the position. We'll since then I have

missed at least 2 days a week from work due to being ill or

going to doctor's appointments followed up with tests etc.

We'll yesterday my boss asked to speak to me. She brought

me in and said I know you are not feeling well today (since

she asked I told her earlier I was really sick- duh I missed

work on Tuesday and Wednesday) She said that my attendance

is not acceptable and they were putting me on a wriiten

warning and if I did not improve my job would be terminated.

I felt like she gave me a kick in the teeth. I have given

so much for this company and continue to give. I have

so many people who say even up to this month I am the best

worker they have had and hardest worker in this area since

the company has been around. They say that if I was not here

they would burn to the ground. We'll me being all emotional

and all ( I think I am very depressed) I started breaking

down crying. Never let them see you cry I always try to

say but it never works. My eye's do not cooperate with the

program. :-(

Anyways I have taalked to Human Resources today and I am

going to the doctor on Monday to talk about doing a

intermittent family leave.

I am just very depressed today so I needed to get that off

my back to some people who really care.

Thank you for listening

disgruntled employee
  2. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I do know what that is like. I lost my job this year because "they didn't want to put up with a year like last year" that meant absenteeism, doctor time, and in general not being with it when I was there.

To some degree, I could understand it, but after 10 years I would have thought they could have tried to work something out.

It wasn't like I was partying my butt off on the days I wasn't there... I was literally in bed or the bathroom.

I'm so tired of it all.
    Tigger
  3. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Christina:

I all to well know what you are going through. I worked for a company for 15 years when my FM and CFS was manifesting itself. I started to miss work at least two or three times a month. Then I was diagnosed and got worse. I was a very valued and treasured employee until I started missing 4 or 5 times a month. I too was called to speak to and was told I had to get my "medical problems" under control.

All companies are the same. You are a great employee until you get sick, then you are a liability. I decided I had to leave the job before the stress of knowng that they would fire me happened. It is three years and I am now goingto see the SSD judge on Monday. It has been very tough but I stuck to it.

Taking a leave may be a good idea. You can take stock of your situation and if you are to ill to continue working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, then seek disability if you can wait it out for two or three years before you get any money from the SSD.

Good luck hon, I will be praying for you.

Hugs,

Francey54
  4. Jessa34

Jessa34 New Member

I have been on intermttent FMLA for the past five months and have
    gone through over half my allotted time for the year. I know I
    should be trying to get out of there but don't know what other kind of work to try and get and financially it's not possible now to not work, plus I need the insurance. I've gotten to the point where I hate going in because I have a hard time getting through full shifts and even if I feel ok I just feel like everyone's wondering what's going on or just waiting for me to be unreliable.
    When I got sick I tried to find the silver lining in the situation and thought that now I might be able to care less about what people, anyone, thought of me since that takes too much energy. But that is impossible to do when the work situation is messed up.

Try and hang in there - I'm having a depressing day today too so I know that it's hard - hope it gets a little better soon :)
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm glad that you are going the H.R. to talk about FMLA, because that is what I was going to suggest.

If you get your doc to sign FMLA papers and state that your problems have been in existence since _____ (date back to first of year or even last year), will your company allow you to amend your weekly time sheets to reflect that your absences and doc appts were all due to FMLA? My company did. You should discuss with H.R.

If you could correct your absences to be FMLA, then it is not ALLOWED to be counted against you and your boss can NOT bring up your absenteeism in your performance appraisal--only if it's NOT FMLA.

However, they STILL know that you're not on the job, which does create a problem for them, but it should not count against you. But then, if they really need somebody to do your job on a daily basis and you are not there, they will just find another reason to get rid of you. They always win!

I had a problem with my absenteeism during my last year of work, so I really know where you are coming from--the "talks" with the supervisor, etc.!

I know our boss used to tell everyone in the office that it didn't matter WHY you were absent, it was the fact that you were not on the job, and they needed you on the job that day or they would not have hired you, and if you could not make it to work and could not be counted on as a dependable employee, that you would not last long as an employee. Period. He reminded us of that very often, unfortunately!

I sympathize with you--hope you can work something out with the FMLA benefit.

jlh

Edited:
    Have you tried some of the meds out which help reduce the fibro pain .... such as Cymbalta and Neurotin? I take both of them and they both help reduce my pain and have helped me a lot. You have to start out slow on them, though, so they don't make you too sleepy, but after you get used to them, the sleepy effect just seems to disappear.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2005]
  6. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

IN addition to what J said, if there are more than 30 employees, your employer is OBLIGATED to tell you about FMLA and offer it to you.

If they are just now doing it, there many an opportunity to change your previous reviews that state the attendance thing.

ts
  7. Christinawensell

Just to respond to some of the previous responces I had to my job situation. I have been so upset about the whoel situation lately that I did not have time to come on to this sight to be able to get a hand up.

I went Monday to the doctor and she filled out the intermittent family leave papers right there in front of me

usually it takes 7-10 business days to get them back the

office said, but my doctor did not want me to have to wait

and have them stress me out the whole time.

Yesterday I turned in the paper work and I am just waiting

for Hr to send me a response.

The answer to one of the questions is yes, I have told them

for five years now that I am sick and have been going to

doctors the whole time. They just do not care. I am also

going to try to see about having them look at my previous

reviews to see what can happen on them like you said. Actually

Hr said the same thing.

I guess I will be seeing a mental health doctor in the next

couple weeks too. Add that to all the other doctors I already

have. I am so depressed lately. I just want to cry all the

time. I am the person that every said always had a smile on

there face no matter what, and they never thought I was

down. Little did they know. Now I don't even talk to anyone

here much. I just want to get the day over with leave and

go home and go to bed. I feel liek crying all the time.

Thank you for listening and thank you for all your support.
  8. Christinawensell

I forgot to say as far as sleep medications and pain meds I

am allegic to all of them they have tried to give me. The

doctor is afraid to let me have anything besides tylenol or

ibuprofin for the pain. I have really bad reactions and

have had several trips by ambulance and my husband getting

me to an emergency room fast. I am taking flexerol right now

and besides that I have not been able to take anything else.

Does anyone else have reactions like that?
  9. Christinawensell

LOOKING FOR ANY RESPONSES.
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

would have been my suggestion too.

I agree with what someone else said about how they love you until something happens, health or otherwise and then they see you as a liability. It is like all that other work history and their lofty praise just vanishes and they act like all they know about you is that you are sick.

I know of 2 people who were out with CANCER that were fired at different places. GOOD GRIEF how is that for nerve!!! I love all that "we are family" talk. Yeah, we are family as long as I am working my butt off for you, but if I can't, we are going to be getting a divorce!!!

Sonya
  11. Christinawensell

Sonya:

Thank you for the laugh. Yeah I think a divorce is something I need to do
  12. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

christinawensell:
    I went throught the same thing, but remember my last day of work. I was leaving and thought 'I never have to do this another day of my life'. It was such a relief: like a burden was lifted from me.
    Now I do not have to worry about 'performing' anymore.
    I see my doctors, take care of my personal business and do not have to hassle with employers. It feels pretty good once you get into the groove of doing it.
    People tend to judge other people on 'what you do' and 'what you drive', but once over that hurdle it is clear sailing.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    NyroFan
  13. craziC

craziC New Member

I'm in the same place as you are right now! In fact, I was suspended last Monday due to my absentees. Next up would be termination!