Job search: How do I explain my disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Katseye, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Katseye

Katseye New Member

Hi,

Unless I want to live on the street, I need to return to work. after many years out of work, how do handle the dreaded question of "can you explain this lapse of time on your resume?" I'm afraid if I'm honest and tell them I was (and still am) disabled due to FM and arthritis, amoung other ailments, no one will hire me. Any advice on handling an interview?
    Incidentally, I was turned down three times for disability. I hired a lawyer and appealed in front of a judge. If it wasn't for the generousity of friends and family, and COBRA, I would be a bag lady. (with alot of pain)

2. Katseye

Katseye New Member

Hi,

Unless I want to live on the street, I need to return to work. after many years out of work, how do handle the dreaded question of "can you explain this lapse of time on your resume?" I'm afraid if I'm honest and tell them I was (and still am) disabled due to FM and arthritis, amoung other ailments, no one will hire me. Any advice on handling an interview?
    Incidentally, I was turned down three times for disability. I hired a lawyer and appealed in front of a judge. If it wasn't for the generousity of friends and family, and COBRA, I would be a bag lady. (with alot of pain)

3. Rene

Rene New Member

If you have been "cleard' by your dr to work x amount of hours you could state that. Also you could explain your illness as a chronic Illness. I don't think they can ask what illness it is which would cover a wide variety of illness. Could you go back to your old job part time and then go to a new job you like better? Then the gap may not seem so noticed. The good thing is you can work and thats great! I'm 22 hrs bed ridden so I dream of going to work.
    Good Luck
    Rene
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

ask the reasons for the break in employment. If they do I would not tell them you were disabled. Why not tell them you were off work due to personal reasons or whatever? Once you start a new job you can ask for accomodations to help you continue working due to the American with Disabilities Act. There is such controversy over Fibromyalgia I would not share it with a potential employer. My sister is a director of Human Resources and she told me that they can not ask a person why they were off work for an extended period of time. I suppose you could say you had a family medical situation that you had to be off work to take care of, and that would be the truth without exposing your hand. I'm sure some will disagree with me but I've been on the other side of the fence and if they knew the real reason they would probably not be inclined to hire you. Good luck, I hope you can find something that suits you and will be willing to work with you regarding any accomodations needed.

Dara
  5. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I truly hope no one asks, but, if they do here's a few suggestions

1. I was at stay at home mom while my children were younger.

2. I assisted in my husband's business which of course All of Us Women do even if our hubby doesnt own a business LOL!
    Or even a family business (family could be a great great niece, godparents etc - get my drift?

3. I took off time to help my family

4. This one is true for me - I took off a 1 1/2 to help my son when he was a senior in high school as he was so active and he did not have time to apply for college, grants, scholarships and so forth.

I've been employed at my present part time job now for a little over a year. I didnt tell my boss about My Fibromyalgia until about 2 mths ago. Of course, he doesnt know what fibromyalgia is but he seems to be more understanding because I've missed quite a few days these past 3 mths.

Gentleness