jobs you can do

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by jibba, Aug 14, 2007.

1. jibba

jibba New Member

Hi i'm new. I have had cfs for 5yrs now and it has just got worse (worse in the sense that i have had to give up my job) and it doesn't look like i will be going back to my job even tho i loved it.

I am hoping to get better. But i don't know where to go/what kind of job to get in the hopefull future.

my roundabout question is what you some of you on the boards do for income/careers.

It would be great if some of you could reply cos it would give me a bit more direction when (hopefully) i get better.

thx
  2. Charleen

Charleen New Member

Hi
    If you have read any of my early reply I have been on here for quite a few years. I have been a jack of all trades so to speak. I was a reporter/Editor, teacher, vet assistant and much more. I have been married 32 years and raised two boys. Most people I chat with have learned that it is very hard to work with this illness.

I was denied disability by a female judge. I wish like heck I would have fought this but I was so upset and angry I droped it. Please if you do go try get disability ask around find a good lawyer (I had a very bad one).

I was going to try to go back to work this year as my hubby had surgery and we have no money comming in right now. My family doctor who has become my friend said I can't give you a clean bill of health to go back to teach (I taught handicaped).

I don't know if this helped or not but if you do try for another job it needs to be with very little stress. Stress is the worse of fibro and cfs. Right off hand I do not know of any stressless jobs.
    I wish you all the best
    Charleen
  3. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

and welcome to the board. I only joined recently myself.

I have not worked for just over four years and am hoping to return to employment soon. I think part time working is probably the best thing (although financially not so great). As for what kind of jobs to do, thats difficult to answer. I am study part time and by distance learning and hope to use my degree in the future to maybe teach other mature/distance learners mostly online. That way I can work from home and dont have to go into a workplace everyday. Thats my general plan at the moment anyway. In mean time am going back to former work (office worker) in an unpaid work placement capacity.

Good luck with your recovery. Take it at your own pace.

shaz
  4. jibba

jibba New Member

That was really helpful everyone. I can see that maybe i am thinking about work to soon.
    Thanks Charleen i did search for 'jobs' posts just after i posted my own question and found a ton that ppl had talked about in past yrs and that was very helpful.
    thanks again for the info/help.
    jibba
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Yeah, that's my thing, too. I'm not okay consistently. What are we supposed to do, tell an employer we might be in today, but we might not be in tomorrow. Maybe we'll be in two days next week and out the rest. Or maybe we can come in every other day. Or how about, excuse me while I lay down on your floor? I need frequent breaks, much more so than all your other employees, do you mind? LOL. I don't think that's going to work.

What can we do? Ebay? I'm not sure what else.
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

WANT WORK TRY THIS ONE THEY ARE NON PROFIT 501 (c) (3) Corp 08/11/07 04:41 AM

They hire handicap.
    If you go to their sight they have 16 openings right now.They are non profit and work out of Massachusetts .They have work at home positions like medical transcripts.They pay 8.00 to 15.00 an hour working at home.They will make sure you do not make over your max for ssdi so you do not loose benefits.

READ nticentral.org NTI Work At Home For Americans With Disability's .NTI stand for>>>National Telecommuting Institute Inc.
    ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>READ ON

About Us
    What We Do
    National Telecommuting Institute (NTI) is a unique educational/job-matching organization pioneering the development of telework jobs for Americans with disabilities. NTI staff bring together employers who have agreed to "go virtual," advanced communications technology, and vocational rehabilitation agencies to enable individuals with disabilities to train for and work online in environments that are more easily accessible to them.

NTI prepares qualified individuals with disabilities primarily for work as customer service representatives, but also as technical support agents and medical transcriptionists. Equipped with voice and computer connections, NTI employees have provided service for customers of organizations and companies such as the Internal Revenue Service and AAA Roadside Assistance.

For more detailed information, please visit the appropriate portion of our site:

Apply for Jobs
    VR Counselors
    Hire NTI to find teleworkers
    Our History
    NTI was incorporated as a nonprofit disability organization in Boston in 1995. NTI grew out of the efforts of a small group of rehabilitation professionals searching for strategies to help the large number of talented and motivated individuals with disabilities who strongly prefer or require home-based work.

In the past 10 years NTI has gone down many paths, selecting those that show the most promise.

We're the prime contractor on contracts from federal agencies such as the IRS and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Using special set-aside legislation for people with disabilities, NTI has hired hundreds of home-based Americans who now answer calls and take orders for the IRS Forms and Publications Order Line or who perform medical transcription work for Veterans Administration hospitals.
    We're a subcontractor providing qualified remote agents with disabilities to commercial contractors who operate call centers for agencies such as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Department of Labor, and the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
    We provide qualified applicants to commercial companies performing a variety of tasks suitable for remote workers. We've matched home agents with disabilities to companies such as Ticket Master, Home Shopping Network, Alamo, Lens Express, GE Financial Services, AT&T Language Line, 800-Flowers, Phase2Solutions, Staples, The GAP, JLodge, Signature Group and AAA Roadside Assistance.
    We advise our commercial partners on general remote workforce screening, training, and management strategies. We also provide access to NTI's innovative distance-training infrastructure.
    We continue to research new occupational niches and experiment with new strategies to further our mission.

Legal Structure
    NTI is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, incorporated in Massachusetts.

Although our goal is funding operations from revenues from our client organizations and companies and from participating state vocational rehabilitation agencies, we also obtain funding through competitive grant programs and charitable donations.

Organizations and programs that have generously provided grants and donations to NTI include

The AT&T Foundation
    The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
    The Fidelity Foundation
    The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
    The U.S. Department of Education: Learn Anytime Anywhere Partnership
    The U.S. Department of Education: RSA Project With Industries
    The U.S. Department of Labor: Office of Disability Employment Policy

Site sections: Home • Apply for Jobs • VR Counselors • Hire NTI • Work from Home • About NTI • Employees

Sue

7. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I have FM - work full time. I became quite educated reading the boards here.. I learned about FMLA and I USE it.

I've been on intermitten FMLA for the last 2 years.. I can use 12 weeks a year in hours/days or weeks.. I am out of "paid" time, but still, my job is safe. I can leave early, come in late, call off and nothing is held against me.

It's a fantastic way to hold onto your job and try and maintain some of your health.

Sharon
  8. Ladeedah1116

Ladeedah1116 New Member

I have been off and on a "medical leave" of sorts from my medical transcription job over the last few months due to neck and carpal tunnel surgeries. I'm playing the "referral game" at the moment and still waiting on getting formally diagnosed with FM right now. It may be another 2 months before I can get to a doc who specializes in FM. *Sigh* :*(

The good news: My current job is with an MT service that only does Veterans Administration hospitals, too!!!! I am completely familiar with their system (of sorts, since it varies from hospital to hospital), their formats (C&Ps, CPRS, H&Ps), capitalization/punctuation preferences, the various document specifics and especially VA medications (mostly generics).

I have spent so much time feeling so helpless and useless to that company because I feel as if I'm not helping them in the big picture. They don't have a daily minimum line count, so that has helped, but I know what "other MTs" are doing daily and it makes me feel so terrible that I just cannot compete with them--or even come close. Plus, getting paid "by the line" is a recipe for financial disaster. We really, really need my income! A hourly-paid job would do just that!

I have resisted even applying for disability because I WANT TO WORK. I spent 20 months in the top MT online school (M-TEC, Inc.), and I graduated with a great GPA. I know the work well and love doing medical reports--plus, I feel like I'm helping our troops and veterans, too!

Wow. There just may be a light at the end of this dark tunnel.

You just gave me some hope. How can I thank you enough?
    Kelley :D[This Message was Edited on 08/15/2007]
  9. dm0905

dm0905 New Member

I am going through the same thing but not sure how it works. I stay at home because I am sick and my boss calls me and ask have you been on line, call in for this 2 hour conference call, etc. it that right???
  10. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

I work full time as a law enforcement dispatcher.

Some nights I feel like I can't possibly to it but it is a sit-down job. Crazy stressful. Calling in sick isn't really an option because it puts officers in jeopardy working without a dispatcher (assuming no one can fill my shift--small department).

For me, it's one night at a time. And I just get through it. Many nights, I don't even know how.

Jules
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

This question comes up often. I feel anything you can do with your brain, not body - eg. talking on the phone,computer skills, etc.

If you had a computer, fax, printer and dedicated phone line at home you may be able to discover work you can do from home. You would also need a quiet place to work.

If you are proficient with computer skills and phone - you could look at the classified ads and see if anyone looking for a clerical person, wants a "telecommuter".

It is very common now for companies to have people work from home. You could be doing many things like data entry, taking phone orders, etc.

Many large insurance companies have all their claims people working from home.

For instance, if you have computer skills, phone ability, fax, printer, work place and phone - you could send a resume/application to various companies indicating you want to telecommute.

Let them know you have a office set up in your home. Most likely they would want you to be a independant contractor. There are reasons for that - one is is is hard to have workers' compensation coverage on someone working at their home.

I started my own business 11 years ago, doing the same work I have done for 30 years. Many of my customers are small business owners who have started from scratch and really done well.

You would be surprised. One lady recently told me (she is 72) she started a post office box business. She gets $15. a month from each person. Her p.o. boxes look like they are street addresses. I guess many companies want a street address in certain towns. I am sure she had over 200 mailboxes so she is getting a tidy sum each month.

Anyway, she has done very well just having her p.o. boxes. She is funny. She started her business because of bad health and could not work for others.

Another business (you could not do) but ingenious... one started a biz cleaning up dog waste from yards. He has regular customers and is very professional with a hazardous waste truck, uniforms, etc. Too cute. The name of his business is also cute. Anyway, after 3 years his annual sales are close to $300,000.

People think of all sorts of things, it is amazing.

At the library there are many excellent books with ideas on working from home. I read today there are millions of people working from home - it is huge.

As for me, I worked from home in the beginning but after a while it was too much. I needed to get it out of the house.

[This Message was Edited on 08/15/2007]
  12. jibba

jibba New Member

THese all sound very interesting and look possible tho some don't apply cos i live in Australia. But the working from home line looking like a real goer.
    thanks, jibba