Join Me in a Morning Hymn

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by LittleBluestem, Jul 29, 2007.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I put Psalm 100 in the Between Heaven and Earth thread tonight. It says “Come before His presence with singing”. The are a number of verses that exhort us to sing to the Lord. Psychologist have found that music activates a different part of the brain than the spoken/written word. It is a good way for those of use who are academically oriented to tap into our emotional/spiritual side.

I have decided to start each day with a hymn. I am inviting any of you who would like to, to join me.

My current plan is to use the Hymn of the Week posted on the Center for Church Music website at www.songsandhymns.org/ . I figure after singing the same hymn for a week, I will be a lot more familiar with the lyrics even if I don’t get them memorized. You can print it out or copy it to a file so you don’t have to log onto the site every morning. You can even download an MP3 file to sing along with, if you have an MP3 player.

I am not going to be real rigid about this. If the mood strikes me, I might chose another hymn instead. You, of course, can choose whatever hymn you like and use it for however long you like.[This Message was Edited on 07/29/2007]
  2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I think you are right, music, praise and worship are very important in our spiritual life.

I choose the song, "All for Jesus" for this week.

Thanks for the great idea, what song are you choosing, maybe we can have a chat about our songs at the end of the week??

Take Care,
    Misty
  3. LittleBluestem

I’m doing “This is my Fathers World”. It is the Center for Church Music’s “Hymn of the Week” this week. I was able to sing it from memory this morning, but in a few weeks, I don’t think that I will be able to. Nothing stays in my head anymore.

Remember Hangin,
    “though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet.
    This is my Father’s world: the battle is not done,
    Jesus who died shall be satisfied
    And earth and heaven be one.”
  4. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

this is really good I sing Hymns all the time.
    I love them, when I"m in the store sometimes I hum to myself.
    when I"m really sick at night I sing Jesus loves in my bed it helps me to go back to sleep.
    I have sang since I"ve been alittle girl,use to sing on the public bus and people would give me nickles,
    what a memory, I use to wear a navy pe coat, My Mother was so pretty we used to ride from the small town we lived in to a larger one, it was such a treat for me.
    Boy do I miss my Mom,shes been gone 5yrs now. but I know shes with the Lord and that makes me happy.

Blessings Sixtyslady
  5. skikat

skikat New Member

THIS IS A WONDERFUL IDEA THAT YOU HAVE COME UP WITH. JESUS LIKES TO SING TOO. SOME DONT KNOW THAT AND SOME DO. I SING TO HIM MANY TIMES THROUGHOUT THE DAY. A LOT OF TIMES I ALSO SING THE PSALMS. OR I JUST MAKE UP MY OWN, WHATEVER IS IN MY HEART. YOURS IS A GREAT IDEA, AND I WILL THINK OF YOU FROM NOW ON WHEN I AM SINGING. IT WILL REMIND ME TO PRAY FOR "YOU" MORE OFTEN. LOVE-SKI-
  6. LittleBluestem

Welcome to our little choir! We may not sing the same song at the same time, but we are still a choir at heart.[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2007]