Joining a fitness club

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lucy1953, May 14, 2006.

1. lucy1953

lucy1953 New Member

Does anyone go on a regular basis to a fitness club? I feel compelled to do something other than walk for 1 hour per day. I can feel myself getting in worse shape. Has anyone gone to a place like "Curves" or any circuit training gym? I am afraid to commit to this as I feel that I have already had the workout without the exercise. Can our muscles be agravated by exercise? I have sciatica Or piriformus syndrome if you ask both my Fam Dr. and Chiro. Two conflicting opinions. My chiro says don't exercise until my condition improves and my fam doc thinks back exercises will work leaving me in the dark.
  2. RunninCrazy

RunninCrazy New Member

I have joined a fitness club that has a therapy pool (a pool that's kept at 92deg.) and I try to go "upstairs" once a week to use the eliptical machines. The water is amazingly therapeutic. Talk to your doctor to see if there's a place in town that offers water therapy. That's how I found this place. It's amazing for getting a workout, toning muscles (that, yes, can be aggravated by too much) and, best of all, pain management.
  3. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I have been going to Curves since Jan 2005. I really enjoy it. And it has helped me so much. There are days when I don't feel well enough to go but I try to go at least three times a week. It has helped me with the stiffness and I have lost 21lbs and 32 inches. I am happy with the way I feel and look. I went from a size 14 to a 10. I would still like to lose 5 more lbs but it seems to be the hardest. I work out after work because I am really tired after but then I can go home and rest. It was hard when I first started but it has gotten better. I just had to stick with it. Its worth trying anyways.
    I would just make sure you check with your doctors before starting an exercise program. And I know that water areobics is also good and less impact. So you may try it instead. [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2006]
  4. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I joined the YMCA last summer and I do water arobics at least once a wk. It has saved my sanity and maybe my life. YOu do 16 times the resistance that you would do outside of the water and when you are in the water, the pain goes away. somedays I almost cry as Im walking out of the pool because the pain is back.

On really bad days, I just do what I can. Sometimes, it will put me in bed for the next 2 days but it is worth it. If you are still working, you might be able to do more out of the water. Gook Luck

Suzette

5. atpeace

atpeace New Member

I've belonged to Curves for about 6 months now. I absolutely LOVE it! I go 3 times per week, and I try to walk on my treadmill for 30 minues at least once a week.

The exercise isn't really harsh, and it doesn't make me feel any worse. Actually, I feel worse when I haven't had any exercise/stretching for several days.

Baby steps...build up to what you feel comfortable doing. Don't over-do it, but don't underestimate what you can do!

Lori

6. voiceteacher

voiceteacher New Member

I switched from curves to Inches a weigh. I love this new gym for my fibro because of the supportive tables for exercising. They have trainers that help you at each session and also a nutritionist that comes with the package. Please consider this option, it is great and is less impact for me than the curves workout!
  7. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm now strong enough to start some form of exercise. Going to try the BANDS first, go very slow. Been in treatment for almost 1 year!

Cindy
  8. berrytired

berrytired New Member

LOVE going to the gym. For mind and body!