Joint pain and POPPING! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalina, Jun 17, 2006.

1. kalina

kalina New Member

This is really strange! It's got me a bit freaked.

I primarily have CFS -- my FM pain is noticeable, but with the exeption of my headaches, pain is not as bad as my fatigue and cognitive problems.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, but left big toe started hurting like I had given it a good whack with a hammer. I know I didn't do anything to cause it to start hurting. The pain faded after a few days, but it's still there.

Now, within the last week, I have had the same thing happen to my left index finger. later spreading across all the knuckles on that hand, and then my left wrist. My wrist hurt so much I couldn't touch anything with my hand.

The worst of it is now in my right big toe, same place it was on the left one. It isn't swollen, but when I try to wiggle it, it barely moves. It often makes a loud POP if I just move it a little, and then it hurts like crazy!

I also have numbness of my skin around the painful areas.

What the heck!? Is this normal for FM? Anyone else?

Kalina
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006]
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

if its normal or not. Lately, when I get up in the morning, my right foot, middle toe, hurts and I also can hear it popping as I walk. It does go away, but it just seems weird!!

About a week ago, there was a bruise on my left big toe, and I have no idea where it came from. Right by the "knuckle". It did eventually go away, but where it came from??? Not a clue. I don't remember banging it (but then again, what do I ever remember!) LOL

What's next!!! Heads start popping off???? LOL
  3. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

my right knee gives me a lot of grief have had it xrayed just the start of oa but I knew the pain was from fm my knee pops when i start to walk some people can even hear it so I guess it is part of the fm I am not going back to dr just to check
    Linda
  4. kalina

kalina New Member

The POP can be very loud, like someone snapping their fingers. And the pain gets worse!

This is scary because all of it is happening so suddenly...

Anyone else experience this???

Kalina
  5. kalina

kalina New Member

dleaning, I'm also wondering WHAT'S NEXT???

ellie, you mentioned your popping knee showed the beginning of OA. I was wondering if that could be a possible explanation. Can you describe your knee problem? My knees pop sometimes when I walk too, but it's more annoying than it is painful, and this new thing seems to be different. Did your popping come on suddenly?

prickles, when your joints pop, do they hurt even more? Do you also have any numbness or immobility in those areas? I agree, it's very, very irritating! It hurts just to have the bedsheet even touch my toe.

Any further input would be appreciated!

Kalina
  6. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Seems that many of us have another condition, as well as FM, called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Hypermobile joints is a part of EDS as is early OA. Read up on Ehlers Danlos and see if this is something that applies to you. Unfortunately, it's not well known by many doctors yet it's been around longer than FM. A genetic doctor will know it though. Hope this can help someone.
    H
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

Snap crackle pop. My joints pop a lot. Mostly my knees, joints in the shoulders, wrists, and ankles. A lot of times someone will ask me if that was my bones popping. Nearly everytime I shift my body or stand up something will pop somewhere.

Kriket
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

The pain can go anywhere.Today it's my entire left knee and all the way to my Hips.My back is very sore too.I somtimes can't hold anything or lift my arms.This is all fibro,and yes I get popping in my knees and neck mostly.Linda
  9. kalina

kalina New Member

MtnDews, thanks for your info on Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I looked it up, but I doesn't seem like this describes my probem (my affected joints are the opposite of hypermobile!), but others may find this useful.

prickles, my problem does sound very similar to what you describe. I also get that feeling of tension and building up of pressure at times. The worse the pressure, the worse the pain is when it does pop. I'm sorry you are having these problems! I'm glad the sauna is helpful for you. I haven't tried that (I'm trying to think of where I might get access to a sauna), but this just suddenly started with me, so who knows...

I don't see my doctor yet for several weeks, but will bring this up with him. Lately I had been checking into finding an LLMD for Lyme evaluation, but I have just stepped up my efforts! I understand joint pain and numbness can also be part of Lyme, but I can't find anything about popping!

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

Kalina