Joint pain and swelling - Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happygranny, Jan 15, 2009.

1. happygranny

happygranny New Member

I was at this board a lot in 2003-04 etc until I went down the road of Lyme disease in 2005.

After almost 3 years of antibiotic treatment I feel worse (except for improvement in energy levels).

Especially in my extremities, and most especially in my hand and feet joints.

Some of my knuckles are swollen now - index and pointer fingers on both hands.

I can find nothing that says FMS causes this kind of symptoms.

I also have many other symptoms that fit into the FMS categorie, and starting to think that maybe I never did have Lyme. There is so much common ground between the two that I am confused.

Anyone else have the knuckle joints sore and swelling?

2. outofstep

outofstep Member

that sounds like arthritis happygranny-have you seen a rheumatologist?
  3. justshea

justshea New Member

I to have knuckle joints sore and swelling with my Fibro, but it's not actually in my joints, it's the tissue around them where my pain is. My elbows, hips, knees, feet and fingers have all of the same pain. But, of course, they give me something for arthritis.
  4. daylight

daylight New Member

It sound like (maybe) osteo arthritis,or RA. I'd get an auto immune panel done just to be sure.
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

The diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia relate primarily to tender points, which are near muscle insertion points on the body. Joint pain is not a primary diagnostic criteria for fibro.

However, many people have both fibro & some form of arthritis. I have fibro & several different forms of arthritis.

Throw lyme disease into the mix ... who knows. It takes a lyme literate & perty smart doc to sort that all out. Lyme treatment can be very tricky & take a long time.

If the joint pain & swelling have not been pointed out to your doc, please get it checked out.
  6. zena01

zena01 New Member

Hi, from what I understand, fibro does not cause joint or inflammation problems. After diagnosis with fibro, I used to tell my doctor that my joints hurt, my bones hurt and he would tell me that it was just my muscles hurting, that fibro doesn't make joints or bones hurt.....I knew what was hurting!! and kept pushing to find the cause and tested positive for lyme disease, and babesia, which does cause inflammation, joint swelling and pain.

I started treatment in Feb 2008 for babesia, then started lyme treatment.....many of the babesia symptoms (air hunger, low grade fevers accompanied by chills and sweats) are gone. I still have the joint swelling etc, but working on that with the lyme treatment.

The thing that I understand, is that the longer you were sick, the longer it will take to get well. Also, I was told that I would feel much worse before I got better and I can certainly attest to that. I haven't got my energy levels up at all yet. The fact you do, gives me hope.

Lyme causes a type of arthritis -- inflammation in the body. My LLMD also told me that my proir diagnosis of fibro is true -- that lyme is one of the leading causes of fibro and that when my lyme treatment is done I will probably still have fibro -- we are just hoping that once the lyme and babesia is gone, that the fibro symptoms will be more manageable -- and I can get my life back. My thought is that maybe lyrica will actually help me then. who knows.

Like you, my hands and feet are pretty bad but my ankles rank up there too.

Take care,

7. hensue

hensue New Member

my doc saw my fingers swell so bad that he had them xrayed. Come to find out he thought my thumb was broke that wasnt even the ones that were swelling. The other knuckles on my right hand were all swelling. Then ss says you can grasp and pick up things hello! It hurts so bad i drop them. Is this osteo? Then the orthopedic doc said i had a lot of arthritis. i go to a Rhuemy who i dont like in Feb that is the first appt i could get. So why did they not have the orthopedic doc on my records and what he said. I did not know my thumb was broke nor do i know if the Rhuemy is going to test for anything????
  8. 28years

28years New Member