Joint Pain Elbows, Knees, Wrists Is this Part of FM????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, May 31, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi everyone... I have FM and was wondering if this is all part of it or may be something else. I get excruciating pain (off and on) in my wrists, elbows and sometimes my knees and lower abdomen. It feels like a knife is stabbing me or turning in those areas. It will usually stop after 20 minutes or so. By that time I am hunched over grabbing the area that it is affecting with tears in my eyes. Is this part of FM or I am I just possible having other issues. Just wondering what your experience is. My knees seem to be swollen... they feel tight when I move them and the elbows hurt when I swing my arms out in front of me (on top of the other type of random pain I mentioned). Is this common with Fibromyalgia in your experience? Thank you - Kim
  2. jarjar

jarjar New Member

My suggestion is to get an Igenex Western Blot taken for lyme. This sounds like classic lyme syptoms so it should be ruled out.
    Best of Health!

jar
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I have tested positive for Lyme twice - I was wondering if it ever goes away or if it is a chronic illness - does anyone know?
  4. diva42597

diva42597 New Member

I have the same thing...occassional shooting pains in my wrists, finters, ankles and elbows. My mother also has the same symptoms and she says it's not part of the fibro, it's something else..I think it's part of her lupus. I'm not sure because I've been tested for lupus also and has come out negative. But the doctor said that that doesn't necessarily mean I don't have it it just means it hasn't showed up yet. But...maybe since it seems there are a few in here that have this symptom it's part of the fibro??? Anyone know???
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I have had a my ANA come back positive but they never identified what autoimmune disease I had, if any. My doctor looked at me sad and sent me to a Rheumy after he saw the results... then I go to the Rheumy and he says the blood work looked okay (not too concerning) and diagnosed me with FM. I read the results and - the options were NEGATIVE, LOW POSITIVE & LOW MEDIUM POSITIVE... I had the LOW MEDIUM POSITIVE, which makes me wonder why I was not identified with a certain autoimmune disease like Lupus, when it clearly said it was positive. I did not think that would be a diagnosis for FM. I am getting it rechecked - but feel like I have to coordinate all of my care. I just fax my doctor what blood tests I want and he writes me the lab slips. It is really scary being your own doctor. I have also had a blood clot in my lungs which can happen with autoimmune diseases but I am just written off, even by (what I thought were supposed to be) the best doctors. There has to be more to this.... I guess I will have to keep searching for help. Thank you for your response. Maybe someone will post to fill us in more.
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I also have pain in both elbows, wrists and knees. My Dr was convinced I had rheumatoid arthritis. Two bone scans say no.

I get swelling on the inside to the left of my kneecap. It comes and goes as does the pain in my elbows and wrists. When it flare up, I can't turn a bottle top or twist my wrist at all.

I guess, for me, it's just part of the FM magic!

Eileen
  7. jarjar

jarjar New Member

From America On Lyme web site:

AOLyme STATEMENT ON LYME DISEASE

"Lyme disease is a multi-systemic illness. It can effect most every
    system in the human body and mimic many other illnesses. It is important
    to note that the symptoms of Lyme disease are so wide ranging that it is
    often misdiagnosed as illnesses such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus,
    fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) to name a few. Lyme
    disease is truly the "great imitator"."

You can research more on google for lyme and misdiagnosis.

[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2006]