Joint pain part of FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Oct 23, 2012.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have been having pains in my fingers and figured it is the start of arthritis. So I was doing some reading about it on the internet and one site mentions that it can be a symptom of FM?

Is this true? Does anyone have this? I thought FM only affected muscles.

2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

my hands are the first thing that hurts. Then as the time wears on, it seems the achiness will then go to my arms and shoulders, then my back and down to my legs. I have several rice socks and I usually heat one up for me to hold in my hands.

The times I've been checked by a rheumatologist they spend a lot of time examining the finger joints.....apparently this will point to other types of arthritis.
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Does the pain feel like its in the joints? I have been having pain in my arms and legs like the burn of lactic acid but this feels like its in the second finger joints. I DO NOT have stiffness like arthritis, nor do I have pain in any other joints in my hands. Just the knuckles in the middle of my fingers.
  4. sunflowergirl

During a flare when my hands hurt then yes, my joints hurt. I don't think there's much muscle in your hands so it's got to be joints. A doctor checks to see if there's swelling in any of your finger joints as this points to rheumatoid arthritis.
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Its fibro :( However, I suppose that is the good news. Who needs another condition? And sunflower girl, you are right. He asked about my other joints and felt my finger joints, which do not hurt and are not swollen. So no arthritis.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2012]
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Yes, I know it is good not to have another condition but I am a bit worried about this winter...but I said to myself on the way home from the doc, I'll just face it head on just like the rest!
    Take care.
  7. When I first started with FM about 16 years ago, I too wondered if I might have arthritis... but it puzzled me because I thought I was too young to have arthritis... I was only in my early 30's at the time. But I remember waking up one morning and feeling like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz! All my joints hurt and it was difficult to move. I had to slowwwly and ever so gently begin to move one joint at a time (although without the benefit of an oil can!) until I could finally get out of bed. There was no swelling... just pain and stiffness. The muscle pain soon followed.

Eventually, I went to a homeopath (after not getting help from my docs) who started me on a health drink that included an Omega fatty acid oil called Udo's Choice. It is a blend of plant-derived oils that really helped my joint pain and stiffness. I would take 1 tablespoon a day mixed into my health drink (a mix of protein powder and vitamin/mineral powder). Between the health drink, Udo's Choice, exercising and hot soaks, I was able to keep the FM in check (although if I seriously overdid it physically, I might be out of commission for a day.)

About 8 years later, the ME/CFS struck me down and all bets were off! Exercising became "out of the question" and I went from being VERY active to not being able to do ANYTHING! And again, was left wondering what was wrong with me... nothing I had done before (to help the FM) seemed to help my condition... and what's worse, I was left wondering and searching for answers for almost 7 years before I was diagnosed with ME/CFS... but I digress... sorry!

Hope you can find something that works for you to help with the joint pain. I do still take the Udo's and it seems to help. I also take hot soaks in epsom salts when I'm really hurting and it helps both the muscle and joint pain. Hope you find relief, Sonya!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

First I want to say thank you for your time to write to me and for your suggestions. I sympathize with your condition, especially the CFS. I can remember when I first heard of CFS when it struck down all those people at that conference and people were calling it the Yuppie Flu. I have heard a lot of stories about how people are treated by others when they have this, but I know that not everyone feels that way if they are not affected.

I was a teenager, I think, when I heard of CFS and YEARS away from FMS but I remember thinking that it was the worst thing I had ever heard of, to be exhausted all of the time with no relief. I felt horrible for ANYONE who had to deal with that.

Today the bottom of my feet hurt...but God is MY strength also and I said to Him this morning, I trust You. 2 sundays ago we had a guest preacher and he prayed for me for healing, 2 weeks later I am WORSE than I was that day, but you know what? I STILL TRUST GOD COMPLETELY.

If He allows it, I accept it. God bless you today and I pray you have a wonderful day. ?
  9. Thanks so much for your kind and understanding words, Sonya! And I couldn't agree more... I trust God no matter WHAT I'm dealing with. A verse from Ecclesiastes comes to mind: "He makes all things beautiful in His time."... in HIS time... I have to remind myself of that often. And I do KNOW that he can bring beauty out of ashes... and that He works ALL things together for good for those of us who love Him and believe in Him... And I know this to be true because I am stronger spiritually because of what I've been through with my health... and I am closer to the Lord because of it. It still doesn't make the physical part of this DD any easier though, does it?

But I know that without my faith, I would have given up a lonnnng time ago... and it breaks my heart that many fellow sufferers with ME/CFS have resorted to taking their own lives because of how difficult and seemingly hopeless this disease can be. We will never know how many have died this way... and it truly breaks my heart. Like you, I accept that God has allowed this for a higher purpose... and He is teaching me things through this very difficult experience that I would not have learned otherwise.... Do I have my days when I've had enough and just want my life back? Absolutely! But I choose to trust God and wait on HIS timing.... and I am thankful for getting to know the wonderful folks on this board in the process... one of the blessings I wouldn't have known were it not for this disease.

Btw, I love your "user name"! I love Jesus too! :)

10. sunflowergirl

I have to say I also agree with both of you......I do trust God for what he's doing in my life, he must have his reasons. It's been HARD and doubt and anger have overtaken me at times, but I know that he's using this "situation" to grow me, and to make me more empathetic as to the suffering of others.
    I love this board, for how we can share with others.
  11. A big "thumbs up" to your response! This board has been such a blessing... Sometimes I wish I could see each of my friends here in person... and give each of you a BIG yet GENTLE hug! I get a little sad when I notice that one or more of my friends here haven't posted in a while... because I know that means they have likely taken a turn for the worse. But I keep lifting them up in prayer... as I pray for all of us.

God bless you, Sunflowergirl! (Love your username! I used to call my oldest daughter "my sunshine girl"!)

12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Gonna post a devo I wrote about my issues with FM is a new post. I was thinking of it today on my way home from work as these new and scary pains are upon me. Today I had the burning in my arms and hands and a shooting pain up one side of my back and started to get a bit freaked out...

If you want to look for it, it is called New Pain Same Tools

13. Sonya, I will def read your devotional... thanks for sharing it with us. I suspect the moderators may move your devotional post to the sprituality board though. Either way, I look forward to reading it! I'm sorry you're having some new and scary pains... I think anyone would be concerned if they were experiencing that! But thank God we can turn to Him and rely on His help, peace and strength no matter what comes our way.

Could you have a pinched nerve maybe? Do you have a chiropractor who could check for this? In the meantime, sounds like a hot soak in epsom salts couldn't hurt... I like to mix the plain epsom salts and the lavender scented epsom salts together... verrry relaxing and smells wonderful! (Lavender can help with sleep too!)

Sunflowergirl, I just wanted to mention that you're not alone with having moments of anger and doubt... after all, we're still human... and those are very human responses to a very difficult situation that seems to have no end. I, too, have my moments here and there. But God understands our weaknesses and is there to support us, comfort us and sustain us. So its ok to have our moments... as long as we remember to keep trusting God and allow Him to help us through the most difficult parts of our illness(es)...

I will continue to pray for both of you! And I will look for your devo, Sonya!