Joint Pain relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, Jun 6, 2010.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

I know many on here also have arthritis or joint pain. I need some help. I know I have arthritis in my neck and back, but I've had it so long that I have learned to deal and have a few coping skills for it.

The problem now are my other joints. Both hands feel like they have been hit with a 2x4 or something. My wrists hurt so bad I haven't done anything for the past 2 days and I am scared of housework now. I can't even hold up a small book b/c of the intense pain from my shoulders to my fingertips, that and my hands and arms start to tingle and lose sensation after 4 minutes.

my lower joints hurt too, but not as much.

Any suggestions? I am willing to try anything at this point.
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Sorry to hear about your nasty situation. I think spinal arthritis is THE WORST. You may want to consult w/a rheumatologist, if you haven't already done so.

I've found that a few sessions with a skilled physical therapist can be extremely helpful for spinal arthritis issues.

Are you able to tolerate NSAIDs, OTC or RX? Those are often the first types of meds that docs will order. If you can't tolerate oral NSAIDs, consider asking for a topical RX NSAID compound -- but you may need someone to help you apply it to your back.

Supps I've found helpful: EPA fish oil (molecularly distilled only), Hyaluronic acid, MSM (I tolerate only 500 mg. oral/day, but it helps), Vitamin D, magnesium (muscle spasms can complicate joint pain, esp. in spine), ASU (avocado-soy unsaponifiables: for OA).

I am fortunate in that my arthritis is partially responsive to dietary intervention. By removing nightshades from my diet I was able to greatly improve the pain & swelling in my fingers & wrists, within the first two weeks.

Studies I've read suggest that approximately 25% of individuals with RA may benefit from dietary intervention. The trigger foods may differ from person to person. Yes, dietary restriction is a pain, but with the knowledge I have, I get some control & can decide: is that spaghetti sauce with tomato worth 3 days of pain? -- If you haven't looked into diet connection, you might research it.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2010]
  3. kat211

kat211 New Member

I am going to talk to my fibro dr next week so I'm going to see what she suggests too. I think they have a rheumatologist in the office too, so maybe I can see him/her too.

I'm just frustrated b/c I am too young to feel this old. 3 ibuprophen worked for a couple of hours, so I might just try it again when my son comes home. I don't want to overdo it with the NSAIDS. I just got over an ulcer and some kidney issues, so I don't want to do it agian.

I tried mobic years ago after an MVA, I think it worked if I remember correctly.

I'm going to look into the dietary restrictions. I am already dairy (allergy) free and gluten free. I also am very restrictive on eating anything with preservatives or that is prepared. I'm not sure I can handle going tomato free though. I still make spagetti from scratch and it is a favorite at my house.

I'm also going to make a list of the supplement advice and do a little research when my hands aren't feeling so bad to take to my dr.

Thank you all for your inputs.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I understand about your hesitation re: dietary restriction. I myself am gluten, dairy & egg-free in addition to the nightshades.

May I suggest you run a baseline on your pain for 2 weeks to 1 month before making dietary change. I did this by rating any area that was red, swollen or painful on a 1 - 10 scale, twice per day. It's pretty quick to do -- the pain draws your attention. In doing this, I got weekly, daily and "location" averages. Then when I did the diet change I continued the scoring. As I saw my totals decrease, I knew I was on the right track. If those numbers had not been budging, or if only a bit, I would not have continued on with NF diet.

FWIW, there are recipes for "no-mato" and "no-tato" substitutes. My family likes "no-mato" carrot-based sauces, which can be an attractive color & have their own unique, delicious flavor.

BUT occasionally I am able to cheat with the nightshades, suffer some yes, but sometimes it's worth it. I don't cheat on gluten, too painful (not arthritis).

One possible nightshade clue is, are you in any way sensitive to second-hand smoke? Many nightshade-sensitive people are, as tobacco is a nightshade, though of course there are other factors in cigarette smoke that people can react to.

Not everyone with diet-responsive arthritis has nightshade triggers. Corn, soy, egg, beef & pork are some other common triggers.

I hope you find SOMETHING to help reduce your suffering.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2010]

PITATOO Member

My hands are bad also, along with most of my body. I use arthritis gloves. It radiates up into my arms, shoulders, or does it start in my shoulders/neck downward, hard to tell sometimes. For my neck and shoulders I use an ice pack on my neck when lying down and a pillow under each arm for support. For reading a book I have to support it. It is difficult for me to write with a pen, I can barely make it through writing one check, thanks goodness for computers but even that hurts. I just to be able to take hot bathes but can't get out of the tub anymore. Got a hot tub last fall but waiting for someone to hook up the electric, but worrying about having to keep it clean etc. It takes me a whole weekend to just clean the house because I can only do about 10 minutes then have to rest, my lower back is bad so standing and doing dishes is horrible. In one way it is a blessing to live alone in that I don't have much to clean but then again no one to really help. I'm only 46 and should not be in such bad shape. Have you had a bone density? I am a male and fairly young but have advanced osteoporosis. I have started BHRT Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy a month ago, hoping to build bones, build muscle and lose some weight. So far I have lost 12 lbs and feel a little better, but could take months, but I think BHRT is a great benefit but what I read may take 6 months to see improvements in bones and joints? Not sure if any of this helps, I also read Arthritis magazine a lot of ideas on how to makes things easier.