joint pain severe in morning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by uggyj, Feb 17, 2004.

1. uggyj

uggyj New Member

The last few days I have been waking up with severe joint pain..mainly my wrists, ankles and especially my shoulders. Yesterday it took me an hour before I could move much..My hands are always very stiff when I wake up..and does anyone else do this...I noticed that I always sleep with my fists clenched and my thumb usually tucked in. This joint pain is not new, its just more severe lately and it usuallly is gone in about an hour. I never notice any swelling, just the pain. Anyone else have this when they wake up? Thanks........
  2. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

Mornings are the worse times for me almost everything hurts to some extent. Joints included.
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Uggy:

I too have severe pain the morning. I cannot remain in bed, and even though I know how painful it is going to be, I get up and walk around...makes me feel better....I also try to take a really HOT shower...helps me loosen up. Ideally, I would take a quick dip in the Jacuzzi, but sometimes it is just too cold or foggy to deal with going out that early (especially when it is dark). I creak and crack to the bathroom, and then take some advil right away and then hit the HOT shower.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  4. 30feeling80

30feeling80 New Member

I experience this, too. It's the pain in my hands that usually wakes me up. If it's not in my hands, it's in my hips. I can finally sleep (thanks to Klonopin) but paying off any sleep debt is impossible, waking due to the pain.

I do not sleep with my fists clenched, I have no swelling. I sometimes even sleep with my hands on my abdomen and my microwaved herbal packs on the tops of my hands. I still doesn't seem to do much good.

Yes, mornings (and evenings) are toughest for me, too. Maybe I sould start carrying around an oil can (think Wizard of Oz) hahahahahahahhahahahah

peace,
    Darlene
  5. inChristService

inChristService New Member

Hi Uggij, I can certainly identify with you. I have had cf and fm for six years. maybe even longer.

When I wake in the morning, my hands, shoulders,feet,legs,any joint will hurt. I take two pain meds. oxycontin for long term pain and then oxycodone for break through pain.

I try not to take the oxycodone or ( percocet)except when really necessary but I usually lose and end up taking it.After about two hours of getting out of bed and getting my meds in me and moving about, then i start to function. I am determined this thing is not going to beat me. the more you move the better.

water therapy is great. it has helped me more than anytbing. I don't take as much of my meds in the summer. i have a pool. I can't afford it as much in the winter. i can't go every day. i try to be in a heated pool at least twice a week and that helps, but every day is wonderful and you will be surprized at your pain decrease and the amount of your mobility will increase.

I hope this was a help.

In Christ Service

Ann
    [This Message was Edited on 02/17/2004]
  6. maxtout

maxtout New Member

I have many days when the pain in my wrists and hands are especially severe. It almost brings me to tears just trying to push the blankets back to try and get out of bed.

What I have found that helps is wearing wrist splints to bed at night. They sell them at a lot of drug stores. They're made out of "ACE Bandage" type material with a metal splint placed beneath your wrist to keep you from flexing your hand inward.

These were originally given to me by my doctor for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but it helps keep my wrist in a neutral position while I sleep and I think that's what helps make it feel better after a couple of nights. It seems to help my neck and shoulders too.

My ankles and shoulders are also stiff and very sore every morning...some mornings are worse than others. I attribute it to doing something the day before as to the degree of pain and stiffness I wake up with, i.e. doing too much walking/standing (ankles) or sitting too long and driving too much (neck & shoulders).

I'm sorry you have this kind of pain in the morning, because I know just how you feel, but if it helps, at least be assured you're not alone! A couple of Advil and a hot shower really helps loosen you up and for me helps to relieve the pain, first thing in the morning. If it wasn't for that hot morning shower every day, I don't think I'd be able to move at all.
  7. txangel

txangel New Member

Hi Uggyi

The last month has been the same for me. I'm having good hours instead of good days. I'm ready for this flare to be over, nothing is working right now for the pain.

Anyways I to sleep with my hands the exact same way and have for ever. I also do it when I'm just sitting. The doc saw it one day and said " you know thats a sign of chronic anxiety" I said ok and left.

I was in there for pain not anxiety. I did some research and it said it tightens your muscles all the way to your shoulders. And we don't need any help in that area.

I hope this info helps and you get to feeling better!!!

txangel
  8. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

With me it's my leg, arm and neck muscles that ache the most...especially in the morning and when I've been sitting for a while (like at the computer). Once I get moving it seems to be a little better. Also, a nice hot shower helps too.
  9. intuition1

intuition1 New Member

Hi uggyj,
    my mornings are horrible too, I take 10mg of Vicodin upon waking and it takes at least two hours before I can do anything constructive. My legs and knees don't "work right", I can barely move my arms, my hands are stiff and shakey, it is hard to even make a pot of coffee and the pain is every where and most severe in the am's also. I have had Fibro for over 12 years and this morning thing while always a problem has gotten really bad in the past 1 1/2 to 2 years. I am definitely not a "morning person"!
    Good thoughts and gentle hugs,
    Suzanne
  10. JP

JP New Member

Dear Uggyj,

I am saddened by the pain filled replies to your post. I wish there were some way to take away our pain symptoms.

I too have joint pain and swelling with every other type of pain in the AM. All of my joints are painful. My mornings are the worst time of my day, even with the helpful medicines. It takes me a good two hours to get the edge off, every morning. Some mornings are worse than others.

I hope your joint pain subsides and your mornings get better. I have a number of things going on, so don't feel discouraged by the shared pain you are reading.

Take care,
    Jan
  11. marw

marw New Member

Hi
    I am new to this board and have not filled out my profile yet. Sorry. I belong to another board for not-smoking, which is my priority now, so I will try to spend as much time here as I can, but more later.
    Just had to respond about the morning pain. I did a search to find this, and it is why I joined this board (and I have been told I have FM). I rarely know what to do about anything, but I do know about the hands and feet. THe curling of your hands into fists is not caused by Fibro, it is osteoarthritis. I used to place heavy books on my hands to try to keep then from curling, but they did anyway, and always hurt badly. THe arthritis doc I see told me to buy a tub of hot wax (any drug store carries them) and wax both my hands and feet for 20 minutes 2 times a day. It works. Follow directions that come with it. THe deep heat will keep it almost cured. Also, you can buy electric gloves at beauty supply houses, but be care that you do not get a burn. For the feet, I no longer even have to wax, I just wrap my feet in a big heating pad summer and winter, and wax occationally, if they start to go bad.
    My nick name is marw.
  12. fllfibro2003

fllfibro2003 New Member

I guess it is from being still for a few hours and then trying to get up and move, really bad pain.

This morning I woke up on my back with my left arm above my head. I never sleep that way.

Anyway, I couldn't get my arm to come down, it hurst so bad to try and move my shoulder.

After I got up I noticed that the inside of my left arm was covered with little blood spots just under the skin.

It looks like someone put little hickys(sp) all over my arm.

Very strange.

FLlfibro
  13. basethound

basethound New Member

Ann you could of wrote my story except I have been dx under a yr I take the same meds my hands are always asleep when I get up my pain is the same way, I have told everyone it takes me two hrs to get up on some days,I know if I take a bath the night before it helps uggyj I really think the weather has change so much, everyone is achy and in more pain. hope you get to feeling better Barb
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had the same problems you are having in the mornings, but since I got a 'mattress heating pad' its a gentle heat, not hot like a regular heating pad, a Cuddle Ewe on top of the mattress, and the mattress heating pad on top of the Cuddle Ewe (a Featherbed will do too), I am not in any serious pain. or , so stiff in the morning now.

I also take ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6), 2 capsules before bed.

I used to clutch my hands when I got in bed , I have even cut my palms with my finger nails while sleeping it was so bad.

I believe the magnesium has helped with that, its actually called natures tranquilizer. It relaxes, and heals the muscles while we sleep.

Clucking the hands is a sign of anxiety, and magnesium had solved that for me. It also stopped my RLS.

I use a Down conforter for cover, and 310ct cotton sheets on the bed, winter and summer.

I have a one cup coffee maker on the bedside table, I make it up at night, and just have to push the button for a cup of coffee before I get out of the bed in the morning! Works great.......

The only problem I still have is the morning grogginess, but it only last about an hour now, before the bed paddings, and the ZMA I was a total mess till one or two in the evening!

Sure hope you are feeling better soon.

Oh yes, be sure to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water a day, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt. It also helps with the stiffness and the grogginess.

Shalom, Shirl

15. danaroo

danaroo New Member

It took a month of taking 2 a day before it built up but it really helps the hand, fingers, hips, elbows etc. It's a huge relief on the joints!!! good luck
  16. marw

marw New Member

For Ann, or anyone else,

Does oxycontin work better than Vicodin? And what is percoset. Someimes Ithink I could be much better if I had the right pain drugs.
    Margaret (marw)