(Joints) Great Lakes Hydrolysate Gelatin

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by jaminhealth, Jan 21, 2014.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I deal with advancing OA along with FM and just plain messy joints, all worse in the last 5 some yrs.... I've taken many types of collagen supps and never with noticeable relief and joint support.

A friend put me on to Great Lakes Gelatin (green cannister) and I'm on it now for about 1 month, I've read tons of reviews on it, talked to the company that produces it and convinced it's HELPING me....

I'm still STIFF and mostly in the morning after in bed all night. and I do sleep pretty good all night...

I've been seeing my rheumy for a couple yrs for acupuncture and recently more Prolo injections.....this product, and I'm HOPING big time, may keep me out of her office for I hope a while....

I started with 1T two times per day, morning and before bed...and now take up to 4T per day, some days more....the company said some take up to 9T per day....

This product does not clump, melts right into any hot or cold liquid, some even add it their foods....

Just reading more this morning on the cannister:

Hydrolyzed collagen is the same collagen found naturaly in bones, skin, and cartlidge..It is a bioactive prodouct containing 90% protein easily assimilated by the human body. It promotes rapid cell growth producing synovial fluids to first lubricate joints, then build tissue......

Over the last 8 yrs or so I went thru 2 sessions of the synovial injections with no help, just a lot of money to big pharma..... This product makes so much sense and is doing a good job on my joints, SO FAR.

I've come upon a blog run by an MD out of Mass and most on the blog rave about the great lakes gelatin...I may post the link.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. jaminhealth

Yes, I get excited when something is WORKING...I noticed I can get up off the couch with less effort:

www.naturopathnsw.com.au/gelatin
    Sep 11, 2013 - When I first read about the health benefits of gelatin a few months ago, I began ... as well as my patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. .... I recommend Great Lakes gelatin (use the green bottle for mixing into ...
  3. jaminhealth

Just talked to my gf down the street and she's on great lakes hydrolysate just about 1 week and already feels a shift in her joints.....and she had been waking up during the night in pain and says she has not since taking this gelatin.....she thinks she slept better last night too.....

Now my gf who put me on to this product just bought a six cannister deal online and she brought me over another can last night....so I'm in good stock now, a can lasts over a month as I see it.....she says she wants to give a can to a couple of her friends who have joint issues....such a nice thing to do to share something good with friends, for friends.....

Again, I continue to feel better with the joints and sleep is definitely better too......

Who knows maybe in 6 months I'll be so improved, oh that would be wonderful. jam
  4. jaminhealth

JK, I did the green lipped mussel for probably 6 months and really didn't notice a change, I don't think...I stopped it.....the great lakes product has given me a significant shift, one knows when they feel a shift....I've joined a blog and get reports almost everyday with those using the GL product and having good results.....the price is right for sure.....go for it and keep me posted here...jam
  5. jaminhealth

Here is what one person said about using GLH 3+ yrs, but I get the impression she didn't use it faithfully as I plan to....when I feel something working I stick with it.

((I've used the Great Lakes gelatin for a 3+ years now, it was recommended on Dr. Ray Peat's site and he's written/talked about it in relation to assisting thyroid function. Found it in my research on how to help my thyroid, seemed like a good thing to add. I was persistent about using it until this summer, but just started back a few weeks ago when I noted some "old hip pain" returning that I'd not had for a long time - it now just about taken care of, just a glint of pain now and then vs. sudden grinding pain, so I do know the only thing I changed was the gelatin. I buy the green can type by the way.
    Generally I add it to my am cup of herbal tea or to a fresh juiced green, last night I added it in with my diatomaceous earth.

I'd never heard of it helping w/insomania, so will start taking it at night, as I do suffer from this during stressful times, like now with a heavy work load.

I historically have noted less joint pain and better nails when taking this consistently.
    Has NOT helped me with my thinning hair or hair quality or helping hormones in any way, I do not think it helps thyroid function, only perhaps the joint pains caused by being hypo.))
  6. jaminhealth

I check the *A**** reviews on the GLH and there are 5-6 new ones today, here is one from a week ago or so:

((If you need to rebuild collagen then this is the product for you. It dissolves instantly in any liquid and is tasteless. I have been using it for about 2 months and my arthritis in may hands is 75% better. I will never stop using this product-it is miraculous!!))

It all depends on how chronic one's issues are, I'm hanging with it FOR SURE...my stuff is long long chronic. I don't think I'm the only one here with Joint Issues, and can say, one is missing the boat by not getting on this product for joint collagen rebuilding. jam
  7. jaminhealth

I follow so many taking this "collagen" and hear from many with points of view I don't think about...and this one makes TOTAL SENSE..

((After much research about meat in our diet and the fact most of our meat is with out bone...I realized that we needed to supplement this. Now I do look for meat with the bones in and I do make my own broth from chicken and beef bone. Our diets have been depleted of this very important elements....bone and marrow! the Collagen Hydrolysate coming from Grass feed beef became very important for us as a family to supplement this missing element. No wonder there are so, many hip and knee replacements... This sure hits home with me....and all my misery from hip replacement.....

So, far this has been a success for us..with in a few days my husband and I notice a difference...and my hair is growing again! A side benefit...that I love. soreness in my hips has all but disappeared and my husbands back has been strongly affected by the elements that this product provides.

This will be a staple in our diet..and folks...Cooking meat with bones is critical!))
  8. jaminhealth

A health practioner from Israel that I've met on another board posted this "history" of collagen in our bodies...find this so interesting and informative. This person said to please share with others and so I'm doing so:

Our bones, skin, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and muscles are made of collagen. Babies produce the most amount of collagen for their weight. This phenomena can be seen by observing how easily they can thumb through books without even licking their fingertips. They have sticky fingers! And their fingers are sticky even when they haven’t indulged in ice cream.
    Collagen is defined as insoluble fibrous protein. Thus, it does not dissolve in liquids, it is fibrous, like plant stems, and is a protein comprised of many amino acids. Most people experience collagen depletion with age, usually after the age of 40.

Types of Collagen
    Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, making up between 25% – 35% of the whole-body protein content. The most predominant collagen type found in the human body is type I, making up 90% of all collagen in the body.
    Collagen makes up the essential structure of the body, such as endomysium. Endomysium are delicate bands of connective tissue interspersed among muscular fibers.
    Fibrils are tiny fibers that comprise the structure outside of a cell wall, not unlike plant root fibers. These fibers join together to form collagen. A simplified list of major collagen types found in the body is shown below.
    Fibril-forming
    Collagen type I Skin, bone, teeth, tendons, ligaments, interstitial tissue
    Collagen type II Elastic cartilage, eyeball fluid
    Collagen type III Skin, muscle, blood vessels, liver, lungs
    Fibril-associated
    Collagen type IX Cartilage
    Collagen type XII Tendon, ligaments
    Collagen for the Skin
    [​IMG]Collagen molecules are much too large to be absorbed through the skin, so skin creams containing collagen are useless. Instead, collagen should be ingested orally. From the above table, it can be seen that types I and III collagen are the ones associated with the skin. There are collagen type I & III pills available on the market. Taking such pills will make skin more flexible and line-free. Both marine and bovine sources of collagen are suitable for the skin.
    Collagen for Athletic Performance
    [​IMG]Bovine (cow) skin is the common source for type I collagen. On an equivalent weight basis, collagen type I is stronger than steel! It is type I collagen that keeps bones, teeth, and, and tendons strong. As we age, the body substitutes the inferior strength type III collagen where type I is preferred. So for joints, collagen type I alone is preferred. If possible, a supplement containing type XII collagen in addition to type I collagen would be ideal.
    Collagen for Flexible Cartilage
    Chicken sternum is the common source for type II collagen. For[​IMG] those having problems with osteoarthritis, type II collagen is the right type to ingest. Athletes who are engaged in repetitious activity such as marathons will benefit from ingesting type II collagen because it will replace worn cartilage. In the past, glucosamine was the recommended supplement for joints, but it was later discovered to be almost useless. Since glucosamine only makes up 1% of cartilage, it is clear why it is not worth the money. By contrast, type II collagen comprises two-thirds of the cartilage.
    Type IX collagen is an ideal compliment to type II collagen, if you can find such a supplement.
    Increasing Collagen Production in Your Body
    The amino acid L-Lysine is largely responsible for the production of collagen, and is therefore a useful supplement. This amino acid is naturally found in eggs and red meat. Also essential for collagen production is adequate amounts of vitamin C.
    Recently, it has been discovered that the lubricating fluid found in joints, hyaluronic acid, is also helpful in collagen production.
    Hydrolyzed collagen is available on the market as a supplement to regenerate joints and other connective tissue. Hydrolyzed collagen is prepared by using acids, such as hydrochloric acid, to break down protein. The more the protein is broken down, the better, as it is easier for the body to assimilate smaller pieces. The measure of protein size is the dalton. When purchasing hydrolyzed collagen, look for particle size below 20,000 daltons.
    A supplement that reduces the natural process of collagen breakdown is Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA). General purpose amino acid supplements containing L-proline, L-glycine, and L-lysine are recommended as these amino acids are the fundamental building blocks of collagen.
    Hyaluronic Acid: the Catalyst for All Collagen Types
    [​IMG]Hyaluronic acid is a viscous fluid carbohydrate found in connective tissue, synovial fluid, and in the eye. Hyaluronic acid is a lubricant and a structural element. In the illustration, you can see a cross section of a typical joint. The synovial fluid and membrane prevent bones from grinding together. For those who have had hip replacement surgery, it is a good idea to ingest hyaluronic acid to keep the artificial joint(s) well lubricated.
    Hyaluronic acid consumption is believed to enhance the production of all types of collagen in the body. For example, Hyaluronic acid is used to bind collagen with skin fibers called elastin. So no matter which type of collagen you take, you should also include hyaluronic acid in your regimen.
  9. jaminhealth

Since I've been doing SO MUCH reading and research on this collagen issue, I have found info that says we need to take in 60-80 grams of protein daily and I figure with the collagen I'm getting at least 35 grams with just it, then there is my protein foods.....this is just 3T give or take of the collagen protein.

The nail thing is really really interesting, as the lines have gotten so bad in recent years..... which indicates arthritic condition for one thing...the lines are smoothing out....the collagen is working on the nail health. yikes, this is so good...
  10. jaminhealth

I check GLH reviews about every day and found this one from today to be of interest....

Found this interesting, I'm not testing myself and going off GLH/. jam

((I have been taking this for month, twice a day. Wondering if it was really helping, I stopped taking it for a week. Results are, yes it does help joint pain! I would say I have 80- 90 percent relief. Being in the North East with one storm after another all winter, barometric pressure takes a toll on my joints , along with the bitter dampness being on the ocean. If I forget even two doses, the joints let me know . The other plus is this Gelatin curbs my appetite! I have been dropping lbs, back to my normal summer weight. I noticed I had more energy the first week.))