Jole-about your computer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I thought I would take this off the porch. What is your operating system, Windows XP- Vista, ect. What is your home page? What browser do you use- Internet Explorer, if so which version. or maybe Netscape or Foxfire? I use Internet Explorer and don't know much about the other ones. But try some of the things below and let me know what happens.

Can you type in your browser bar on top a new address or copy and paste on to it.

FOr instance if you copy and paste a youtube link or like to my website?

http://home.earthlink.net/~ckball/

go up to the top bar and click on the current address in it and delete what is there, then paste or type the above address in it. THen let me know what happens. I may not be able to figure it all out tonight as I got too hot shop vacing my shed. I had some unwanted residents and had put decon out and it was all gone but I had all kinds of turds everywhere on the shelves, in the drawers oh it was nasty.

So I am going to eat then soak in the tub. But probably will have more time tomorrow, I am sure it is something simple.

Do you know how to get to "Internet Options"- go to "TOOLS" then go down to "Internet Options" when the window opens click on the "advanced" tab. Then click on "Restore Defaults". You may have to restart your computer after that.

Who is your ISP provider? If this doesn't work you may be able to contact them and they can get you going but something is not right, has it ALWAYS been this way? Maybe you have a virus. We will cross that bridge IF we come to it. So try these things first and let me know-good luck- Carla
  2. jole

jole Member

Thanks for getting back to me...this has me really stumped!

I have a Windows Vista...Yahoo page..Internet Explorer...

Yes, I can get to your site by typing it into the browswer bar on top, just not by going through Yahoo. I thought maybe it was the settings and checked to make sure Yahoo was still my primary and not default setting, and that's okay. It just seems like everything through Yahoo will come up with the very first search, but when I click on the one I want, that's when it freezes up.

I tried the restore defaults...that wasn't it.

Our internet provider is through our phone company, so I may have to give them a call if you don't have any suggestions.

Our grandson was here over the summer, and I'm not so sure he didn't mess something up that I'm just not finding.....he's 16 and a heck of a lot smarter at computers than I am....lol....

By the way, I'd forgotten about typing your site into the browser bar...before I went through the Yahoo search. (Told ya I wasn't real sharp when it came to computers!! And this fog doesn't help any either....) Every time I see what you did to your home it makes me want to cry with ineptness...such talent you have!!! I love your home...so cozy and comfy looking, and I could spend days looking at all your creations, not to mention your scenic views!

Hope you got rid of your critters! We use to have them in our old house. What a mess...yes, and we had little kids in there at the time. Don't miss those days at all. Don't wear yourself out!!

Thanks for taking time out for this.........love ya!..............Jole
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2009]
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

I would have to say the grandson has done something but if the other things didn't help maybe trying using another search engine like google and see what happens.

I understand about the fog, I can learn something and then not do it for a few days or worse weeks and I have to learn it all over. My memory is shot and has been for several years.

Thanks for the kudos about my house, but it really is not quality work, I cut many corners and still don't have baseboads in my bedroom or my studio, kit cabinets aren't stained after 2 1/2 years. That would be the wall with 4- 2ft x 7 ft panty cabinets screwed together.

It has saggy and sloped floors, it is sorta a metaphor of me, nice looking at first but look closer and it is falling apart-lol. Lots of duct tape, drywall mud and wood glue holding it together-lol. But I knew this would be my last home so made it to suit me and no one else, I love color so used it.

I just learned everything as I went along, same with the art, you never know what you can do until you try it, just because you have never done it doesn't mean you can't try now.

I will check a few more things out tomorrow but I feel it is a box checked or unchecked in the advanced settings in the internet options. You can run a maintenance on it too, that just hit me. I would go look now but afraid I will get timed out and need to run my bath.

But go to your control panel and look under system and there should be a place to run diagnostics and maintenance, been awhile since I have been there. I'll catch ya tomorrow or maybe call the GS and ask when what to do,lol- Carla

I came back, try a system restore back to a date before your GS came. If that doesn't work, either your provider or the gs :) nite-Carla[This Message was Edited on 10/01/2009]
  4. jole

jole Member

You're right, so simple...but I just couldn't think that could be it. I really didn't want to try switching home pages because our email is through yahoo. But when I switched over to Google it works perfectly!

Now I wonder why that is? Oh well, at least it works, even if it is a little inconvient. So now I can at least look up a few things on my "down" days.

Thanks Carla, I really appreciate all your time.......and know where to go when I have another problem..haha......hopefully not!!!

Loved your metaphor...think that fits a lot of us..lol...but yours was sooo descriptive! I would relate it more to my body...the sagging, creaking, falling apart (just not leaking yet...) lol...Yes, our house has a few unfinished projects also...trim in our bathroom has been down since the shower was put in 4 years ago. Can't always get hubby motivated, and my arms don't allow me to do that stuff....you go girl!!! I'm proud of you!!
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I am glad it worked but you still need to know why yahoo freezes up but at least you can look at more on line now.

Yep I am sagging, sloped and have the occasional "leak" once in while, aww maturity gotta love it-NOT! I would try to Restore back to a time before your GS came and that may fix all your problems. Your very welcome, I try to help when I can. Hope you are having a good day! Carla
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

I am glad it worked but you still need to know why yahoo freezes up but at least you can look at more on line now.

Yep I am sagging, sloped and have the occasional "leak" once in while, aww maturity gotta love it-NOT! I would try to Restore back to a time before your GS came and that may fix all your problems. Your very welcome, I try to help when I can. Hope you are having a good day! Carla