jostaberry, aronia, fruiting honeysuckles, currantXgooseberrys

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Jun 21, 2007.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the above or similar unusual berries. I got a bit carried away this year and ordered some from Raintree Nursery and Wayside Farms nursery.

They are all supposed to produce "abundant and delicious fruit"!

Unfortunately, I now have to wait at least a year to find out what they are really like. :(
    Cheers, Mr Bill

Oh, and also a bush that is supposed to produce chocolate flavored berrys.
    (I don't have any kids or pets, so the plants are my big "interest".)

I still wonder if I should have ordered Lingon berries and about thirty other type plants....but I had to stop somewhere.

[This Message was Edited on 06/21/2007]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I've heard of is lingon berry. It's jam is big in Norway, but I don't find it especially tastey.

There's an orchid w/ a faint chocolate aroma. Name is Sharri Baby or something like that.

Do all these berries grow on shrub-size plants like raspberries?

Hope they all turn out to be wonderful.

3. therealmadscientist

It is "Leycestria Formosa" a plant from lower himalyan mountains. It can be called "Himalyan honeysuckle" though I don't think it is a true honeysuckle ("Lonicera")

Supposed to be a multistemmed , six foot high semi-evergreen that has small berries....I think singular like blueberries... that turn brown and taste like dark chocolate.

I guess that Luther Burbank and Johnny Appleseed were some of my childhood heroes.

I'll let you know if something exciting happens with the plants. Your Mr Bill
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Used to work in "beautiful downtown Burbank". But as you probably know, Luther Burbank actually lived closer to you in Santa Rosa.

My son went to Sonoma State near there.

I went to visit my brother in Porland one June. There were lots of fruit stands selling berries, many I'd never hear of before like the Tay berry.

Oct is another good time to visit. The fruit stands are selling apples; varieties one can't buy in the supermarket.

5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I saw this unusual bush this spring and it produces little edible blueberry type fruit. You have to have two types for pollination, so I didn't do it. But it sounds great! I saw it on Springhill Farms site.
  6. therealmadscientist

Tayberry is new to me. I guess its a cross between a blackberry and a raspberry. Guess I'll put it on my list of things to get.

I think "Honeyberry" is a name that is being run up the flagpole that means a fruiting honeysuckle. Does sound a bit more exciting than fruiting "Lonicera". Raintree nursery has 4 varieties, I think one or two self fertile, but tends to be sold out. I got two varieties from them.

The plants I mentioned are all supposed to be bushy sized. Thanks. Your Mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2007]