JOYFULLY, do you live in Austin? I do too

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Oct 27, 2006.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Joyfully!

My name is Erika. I posted the same thing in Elyse's post about handicapped parking because I saw your response there. Somewhere in the back of my brain, I remember that you live in Austin. I do too (Round Rock) actually, although I lived in Austin for a long time. (It's like one huge city anyway!) I've been trying for eons to meet nice folks in the Austin area that have fibro.

In fact, I even tried starting a support group, but it didn't work out because the social worker at Round Rock Hospital who was going to facilitate it got too busy to help us out (among some other factors). I'm hoping that I can find a way to start it up.

At any rate, if you are interested, I would love to hook up with you in the chat room so that we could exchange email addys. Let me know!

Warmly, Erika
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Hi Erika,

I don't live in Austin, (I live in PA), but I saw your post and wanted to write anyways. A close friend of mine lives in Austin and I have been there a few times to visit. (she's normal and healthy-lucky!). Everytime I go there I can't believe what a great city it is! I am so jealous.

I live in a boring area, but it really doesn't matter because I usually have no energy to do much anyways. I have CFS, not fibro. If I lived in Austin I'd probably just be frustrated at all the cool fun stuff there is to do, that I wouldn't be able to do!

One time my friend MADE me go to - whats it called? a famous old time country dancing barhall.. the Broken Spoke? I was so tired I felt like I would DIE, but it was a neat place.

I hope you can start your support group. There must be other CFS and Fibro poeple near you!

BigMama2
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

4. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Erica,
    There is a new post from Kadlhopper new in Austin who is looking for a doctor. She sure needs some support and is feeling like giving up.

If you and Joyfully could get in touch with her, I'm sure it would warm her heart.

Gratefully,
    ~~~
    LadyLew
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2006]
  5. ladykew

ladykew New Member

BUMPING for Kadlhopper !!!!!

LadyLew

~~~~

6. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Sorry, I made a typo....It's Kadlhopper.

THANKS!! I don't see too well...ya know how it is..many symptoms with these DDs.

~~~LadyLew

7. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Bump for Kadlhopper
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Here's who I see that I would highly recommend. Some of these folks, I don't know if they are seeing new patients. These docs don't "specialize in fibro" (few docs do), but they do have knowledge of it and are quite competent. The ones I list below I would send any of my friends and family to in a heartbeat. (I now live just outside of Austin, in Round Rock, so some of the docs are there, but some practice in both Austin AND Round Rock, but some are worth the short drive to RR.)

Internal Medicine: Dr. Frederick Fung, North Austin Medical Center Located at Parmer & Mopac (In Austin): 901-4009 (a total sweetheart and knowledgeable!)

Dr. Shawn Maloney, urologist, Urology Associates 244-0161 (Round Rock, TX and I think he sees patients in Austin also) older man, competent, thorough, nice

Dr. Adam Horvit (SO NICE and VERY competent!), Neurologist (I think he practices in both Austin and RR): 388-5042 or 218-1222

Dr. Mark Maunder (gynecologist)- just switched to him after ending a terrible relationship with a previous gyno which came as a shock. Came highly recommended from a friend who's had ovarian cancer, so she's VERY picky. He's FANTASTIC. VERY THOROUGH and INVOLVES THE PATIENT. 244-3698 (he's in RR)

*All of the RR locations are off of 620.

I know of a rheumy too but I don't see one anymore. I'd have to go look it up. The rheumy I saw wasn't the "best one", but he was good; there's an even better one, and I can go find his name and number if you need it.

Hope this helps and best of luck!! Let me know if you have more questions.

All the best, Erika
  9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I dont' think that we live very far apart. I'm very close to Avery Ranch Subdivision. My PCP is on Wyoming Springs Road behind RR hospital!
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I think it's YOUR dog that's bothering me. KIDDING! I live in Cat Hollow. Sounds like we're a stone's throw away from each other. That's so cool! Who knows, maybe we've even bumped into each other before? :)
  11. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hey, Zenouchy. There is no way that the picture in your bio came from Cat Hollow. Ha, ha. I drive through the Cat Hollow subdivision on the way to my PCP! I'm in a subdivision close to Avery Ranch!

Do you know the doctor in round rock that is supposed to be good with CFS or FM? Darn, I cleaned my hubby's office a couple of weeks ago and got rid of an old desk calender that had the info. on it.

That is the trouble. I keep stuff for an eternity and never use it. THEN when I throw it out----BINGO! THEN I need it!

There is another person posting on this board who recently moved to Austin too.

I know there used to be about 6 people in the Austin area. Once, they made plans to get together. Only one of them showed up.

[This Message was Edited on 10/30/2006]
  12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Joyfully,

Thanks for your post. I don't know of a doc that truly specializes in fibro and have been looking also (and coming up short so far). I have great docs, but they aren't experts in our illness. My docs seem to have bits and pieces of info about fibro that they learn periodically, and they openly share that info with me, but that's about it. From what I can gauge, I don't think it's a common area to specialize in generally speaking, but hopefully more docs will start doing so as the illness (unfortunately) becomes more common.

That's cool that you live so close. I think people have a hard time hooking up sometimes because their health gets so unpredictable with fibro....at least I know mine does, but I still try to get out and socialize too when I feel well. We can try to get together sometime soon and meet if you'd like. :)

The pic is of Los Cabos, MX. Got to take a trip there with my hubby a few years ago when he qualified for a trip from work. It was heavenly.....ahhh, take me back! :)