JPach007 Question for you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mistyd96, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

Hi! I start vet tech school on Monday. I am very nervous about making it through as 70% is clinical, we will be doing hands on at an animal shelter. Then I plan to work full time as a licensed vet tech. Can you tell me all the ins and outs of doing this job with this dd?

Thank so much!

Misty
  2. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

I've been meaning to post this same ? for jpach007 since I read that she was a vet tech in another post a couple of days ago.

I am thinking of switching from Xray tech (w/ people) to vet tech. But not sure if I can really do either.

Any info on day to day stuff you do jpach007 would be apprecaited.

Jpach007, also so sorry to hear on your earlier post that your boss is being such a jerk. Hopefully you can knock some sense into him (literally & figuratively)....lol!

Jen
  3. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

4. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi!
    Well, lets start with the hands-on stuff...
    2 years ago, it was not as difficult for me, but now, I am so sore all the time (trying to get big dogs to go into the cages, picking them up, holding them). The Vet I work for actually trained be before I took the test, so I did real well, and it was a breeze.
    The memorizing part(written part)...luckily, alot of the questions are scenerio based so you can just think through it.
    I really love my job. I just wish I felt better doing it.
    What do I do all day..
    We board animals also, so the first thing we do in the am is feed, medicate, walk all the dogs, and clean the cages.
    I get real bored answering the phone and going into exam rooms, so I get to do all the surgeries. The Surgery Vet tells me which animal to get, we put them on a table about waist high, take temp, check color of gums, hydration, and usually draw some blood to check for all internal organs working properly. Then I will hold the animal while the Vet injects Pentothal into the vein and then I intubate them, shave the area, clean it, and trim nails, then we carry them into surgery. I monitor,record all the vitals, and assist when needed. I do dog and cat dentals also.
    We also do large animals and farm calls. Horses, cows, bulls, pot bellied pigs, goats. No exotic birds though.
    I think feeling a baby calf inside the cow was the coolest thing! Also helped deliver a calf or 3.
    On weekends, we each take a turn walking, etc. of the animals boarding...thats tough for me because the big dogs pull me, and I'm by myself. The sweeping and mopping every evening gets a bit tiresome for me also, but I usually just do one or the other.
    I think I covered most of my day! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I'd be more than happy to share with you!
  5. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

Can you give me an idea of the salary range of a licensed tech?

Thanks,
    Misty
  6. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

7. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I think the pay really ranges depending on location. Because I am in a small college town, we hire alot of students for cheap..$6.00/hr
    While some of your bigger cities like Austin, TX, you can get $10/hr
    My boss has told me that he actually prefers to hire folks untrained, so he can train them himself, then he pays for the school.
    Dont be nervous! You'll do just fine. You really have to love working with animals and it will come natural...You'll see
    :)