Jude or Mikie, Is Long term memory loss linked to fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JTyre, Aug 24, 2006.

1. JTyre

JTyre New Member

My long term memory is horrible. Fmaily and friend will talk about things from my childhood and I have no memory. Sometimes they can trigger a memory for me but for the most part I can only remember bites and pieces and not very far back in years. Does anyone know if this is linked to FM? When people refer to fibrofog are they referring to short term memory? I have trouble w/ short term and long term. If it is linked will my long term memory come back when the phosphate clears?
    Thanks,
    j.
  2. JTyre

JTyre New Member

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I believe we have two things going on, Fibro Fog and memory/cognitive issues. When I started the Guai, the Fibro Fog almost immediately went away. Before that, I actually felt as though I were living in thick pea soup fog. I couldn't walk through the condo without hanging onto something.

Memory and cognitive problems seem to come with both FMS and CFIDS. Once the fog was gone, I started to try to keep my brain in training. I do crossword puzzles, read, and am learning Italian. My memory is improved, but when I've relapsed with my CFIDS, it's bad.

fMRI's and SPECT scans will often show lesions in the brains of people with our illnesses. These are different than the lestions in MS patients. I do believe that if one can recover, the memory comes back. One lady here recovered from a severe case of CFIDS and all her memory returned. She said she thought it was lost forever and was very happily surprised that it came back.

At some point, the Guai should help with both the fog and memory but I do think it's important to try to use our brains as much as possible. Try doing things with your nondominant had for a while. That is an excellent way to improve cognitive function. Vitamin B-12 is very good for brain function. Fish oil is another excellent brain food.

Love, Mikie
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi- I can not answer your question but I have the identical problems. Not much long term memory, more like little clips. When they say "do you remember when" 90% of the time I have to say no.

Short term isn't much better, I have improved some since starting adderall. My brain fog and coginitives issues have improved.

But some days nothing works, I have to look at my ID to see what my name is,lol.

I brought this up with my neuro on my last visit and said I have been like this all my life, and replied, "then you have had fibro all your life".

I hope you find something that helps you. Carla

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2006]