Judging Others

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skyeone, Apr 28, 2006.

1. skyeone

skyeone New Member

My mother gave me this, just before she judged a few people as well as myself because of various illnesses!!!

Heavenly Father, help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-yr-old college student, balncing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student lans for next semester.

Remind us Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job!) is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last wee, this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us, the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity.

Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive, show patience, empathy and love.

I just thought this would be something that a lot of us can use in various ways, to share with those who judge us as well as to keep in mind for ourselves in order to not judge the next person quite so quickly. I know I have a bit of a problem with that!!!

Hugs to all,
    Skye
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

That is such a great reminder for us all. Thanks to you and to your Mother!!

Kathy.
  3. SusieQ13

SusieQ13 New Member

I'm feeling very emotional this morning because I feel really rough and when I read your message - I had to stop myself from crying. Thanks for sharing this - it true that we are all judgemental and equally are judged by others. Sadly it's the way of the world these days.

However, it's food for thought and we should all try to be more patient with people.

Take care

SusieQ
  4. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Thank you for your comments Prickles, Kathy, Donnaeil, and Susie Q. Yes I will let my mother know that this little prayer was appreciated!

Hugs to all,
    Skye
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Your mother is a wise woman and so are you. We never know what circumstances may be behind someone's behavior.

Years ago I was leaving my office in a great hurry at ten o'clock in the morning and a co-worker said to me, "It must be nice to come and go as one pleases around here" with a very sarcastic edge to her voice.

That remark cut me to the bone because I had just gotten a phone call that my dad who was dying of cancer had taken a turn for the worst and was not expected to survive the day. I was on my way to his hospital bed.

Every time I am tempted to judge someone I remember that incident and how crummy it made me feel.

What a lovely prayer and thank you for posting it.

Michelle
  6. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Thankyou Skye,
    Your mom is a very wise woman who raised an even wiser
    daughter.

Our eyes are not always open.

The pain that most of us suffer can make us less tolerant to the pain around us.

And we each have our own pain,in so many levels.

God bless you!!
    Jordane
  7. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

These are some of the lyrics to a song by Mark Wills called "Don't Laugh At Me". It's impossible to watch the video without crying, and the original post on this thread reminded me of the song:

I'm the cripple on the corner
    You've passed me on the street
    And I wouldn't be out here beggin'
    If I had enough to eat
    And don't think I don't notice
    That our eyes never meet

I lost my wife and little boy when
    Someone crossed that yellow line
    The day we laid them in the ground
    Is the day I lost my mind
    And right now I'm down to holdin'
    This little cardboard sign...

..so

Don't laugh at me
    Don't call me names
    Don't get your pleasure from my pain
    In God's eyes we're all the same
    Someday we'll all have perfect wings
    Don't laugh at me

I'm fat, I'm thin,
    I'm short, I'm tall
    I'm deaf, I'm blind,
    hey, aren't we all..

My son was a newborn when this song came out, and the image of losing him and his father and totally losing my mind, really stuck me.

I've never looked at someone asking for help the same way since hearing this song. We never know what others have been through that has lead to where they are..

julie (is free!)
  8. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Thank you so much for those song lyrics! I've never heard the song myself, but I can just imagine how moving it must sound, and the video must be even more so. How true the words, if all humanity could just keep that in mind!

Thanks again,
    Skye