Juicer Recipes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rain122865, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

Hi I am going to buy a juicer today and give it a try, what I would like is if everyone that uses one could share thier recipes with me. I havent ever owned one and would appreciate all ideas. For example how many of each vegetable/fruit/ect that you use and how many ounces of juice you get from it and if you know what its alakaline level is. Also how long does it stay fresh in the refrigerator? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

Hi I am going to buy a juicer today and give it a try, what I would like is if everyone that uses one could share thier recipes with me. I havent ever owned one and would appreciate all ideas. For example how many of each vegetable/fruit/ect that you use and how many ounces of juice you get from it and if you know what its alakaline level is. Also how long does it stay fresh in the refrigerator? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
  3. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

Ellice knows *ALL* about the juicing bit and has been keeping track of some pretty incredible information re: juicing, ph levels, when to drink juice etc.
    READ HER POSTS! and you can get most of the knowledge you are looking for right there! I have been an avid juicer too and we have exchanged info that is quite similar. Carrots seem to help us although we have CFS, some Fibro people as noted earlier on the boards cannot handle carrots...GIVE IT A WHIRL!
    I just had 32oz of mostly carrots, apple, beet and celery with 2 oz. od wheatgrass.....you may go through some detox so don't be discouraged....as Ellice says..."it took your body a while to get here....it will take a little time to get it back on track!"
    If you are looking for specific juice combinations I would look up specific symptoms and try to connect fruits/and or veggies that can help to correct those symtoms on the internet...ie...beets are used for dry skin, heart, lungs, etc.
    You get the picture!

Good luck! [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2002]
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

mostly carrots, an apple or 2, tbs or so of lemon juice.

add celery at night time, it is a natural sedative, helps sleep.

Be sure to wash them all really well, the fresher the carrots the better. No need to peel them just scrub real well to rid them of pesticides.

Jaci
  5. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

about juicing......one of the meds I take has to be taken with food...I am not big on eating so would the juice be considered enough food for a meal?
  6. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

Rain,
    I am not a big eater since I got sick but LOVE to juice. Juicing and juice fasting is considered nutritious...although it is not solid food can contain many more important minerals and vitamins that are easily absorbed into the bloodstream almost immediately in fact.

There are people who go on 30 -60 day juice fasts....I could never do that because *our* bodies also need substantial nutrients.

Rain if you will tell me what your main purpose of juicing is I may be able to help you or Ellice too, as she knows alot. If you are trying to cleanse the blood: carrot, beet, beet *tops*,wheatgrass, apple. If you are trying to cleanse and control viruses carrot,wheatgrass,3 cloves of garlic, and arugula. BEWARE OF DETOX!

There are sooooo many recipes...the best way to figure out is what *YOU* like and for that matter, can tolerate. At the beginning I had a big Chinese herb and veggie book that listed the medicinal properties for all herb and veggies and fruits......I am not Julia Childs and needless to say had a hard time getting ANY of it down it tasted sooo horrible. (And the concoction I had made seemed like it would cure all of my ailments as I had looked up each veggie and corresponded to it....YUCK!)

I stick to things I would like to eat in their natural form...carrots celery beets beet tops, oranges,apples, etc. Carrot juice is easy to do and I think works best for me,Then add on to it.
    I personally like ginger (ginger root) so I add it to every juice *IF* there's some funky tasting veggie my body needs ...like I do not like the taste of fennel...but ginger can cover it up. Anything with garlic I suggest holding your nose and downing it! Anything green is good the chlorophyll really clears the body and bitter lettuces such as dandelion and arugula help to cleanse the liver at the same time.
    Also I would suggest juice smoothies....carrot juice, apple,orange, and juices of the two too, beet juice and a frozen banana with ginger in the blender for a smoothie treat! Frozen mangoes and papaya are great for smoothies too.
    Also a great dessert for the afternoon. You should also test for *your* tolerance to sugar and to mixing fruits and veggies....some people who cannot handle the sugar from fruits should dilute it with distilled or oxygenated water, this can help with insulin levels. Also some people believe you should not mix veggies with fruits.....go by what *YOUR* body says.
    Your body temperature can be lowered by juicing so be aware of that.Please do be careful, you can lose alot of weight by juicing ( if you are thin like I am. I lost 25 pounds at the beginning of this illness and that was while I was totally raw (foods veggies and fruits) and juicing. You may wish to eat an organic cracker or some kashi which I find helps my appetite. lettuces such as dandelion and arugula help to cleanse the liver at the same time.

Also I would suggest juice smoothies....carrot juice, apple,orange, and juices of the two too, beet juice and a frozen banana with ginger in the blender for a smoothie treat!
    Also a great dessert for the afternoon. You should also test for *your* tolerance to sugar and to mixing fruits and veggies....some people who cannot handle the sugar from fruits should dilute it with distilled or oxygenated water, this can help with insulin levels. Also some peope believe you should not mix veggies with fruits.....go by what *YOUR* body says.Your body temperature can be lowered by juicing so be aware of that.

*FYI* if you soak your carrots overnite (after brushing them clean,cutting off tops and bottoms)in distilled or oxygenated water, they will yield twice the juice!

Hope this helps!!!

LLadybug

[This Message was Edited on 10/07/2002]
  7. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

what is the effects that you are talking about? Thank you for all the information you have given me I appreciate it so much. My main purpose of juicing was hoping to gain energy back. My husband is, as I type this, trying carrots and an apple...
  8. jbg

jbg New Member

I have a juicer which I use sometimes. But what I did was go to a book store and in the cook book section found some wonderful books on juicing. I have used many of the recipes in them. The one I bought was written by the guy that sells the juicer on infomercials. If you have access to a fax machine I could fax some of them to you. my email is in my bio.
    Julie
  9. diggity

diggity New Member

For those of you who are trying the juice: This sounds very interesting but I have a couple of questions. First, do you eat normally along with drinking the juice, or do you drink only the juice and fast as far as "real" food is concerned? Can this be used as a weightloss tool? and if so, is it one of those things where you go so many days on and so many days off? How do you know what all to put in the juice, for instance I read about bee pollen in one post, I am not familiar with that, is it a food? a dietary supplement? a spice? Where do you get it, what is it used for, is it only for the juice? Is juicing a healthy diet plan alone? Do you need to take vitamin supplements? Where would I get a juicer?

I know, a lot of questions LOL, but it does sound interesting and I am curious. Thanks
  10. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

To Rain: Good for you...try the juicing!

Hopefully, you if you see any of the results that many of my group of friends see, you will be pleased. Try to drink/juice green stuff too...it helps to clean the body.(wheatgrass,beet tops,celery,spinach,arugula.etc.(NOT A TASTY DRINK!...but so good for your body!) the DETOX is your body "purging" or ridding itself of toxins and old waste. When the body is nutrient deficient...which many of ours are( due to mitochondrial dysfunction)...ie the cell wall can no longer absorb or hold in "good" nutrients the cells can die (and DO) when they are not in a proper PH balance.

These toxins accumulate in your bloodstream and make you feel slightly cold or fluish...last only a few days. If you drink plenty of fluids along with you juice (oxygenated water or distilled water) the detox is over quickly and 75% of all juicers have no detox effect anyways!
    You will gain your energy back as Ellice (beautifulsimplicity) and I have ...the going may be little slow but as Ellice says "it took your body a while to get here....." just remember to re read Ellices posts on ph.
    Do not forget the ph papers this will be your ultimate guide.
    After getting the papers I see exactly what she is talking about and can combat my fatigue accordingly.

THE PURPOSE OF JUICING IS ALSO TO GET AS MANY EASILY ASSIMILATED MINERALS AND NUTRIENTS INTO YOUR BODY AS POSSIBLE. REMEMBER, IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO SIT DOWN AND EAT 25 POUNDS OF CARROTS AND 2 CUCUMBERS AND 3 STALKS OF CELERY,1/4 OF A BEET,1 APPLE,1 ORANGE AND 1/2 A BAG OF SPINACH IN ONE SITTING!.....WHEN YOU JUICE ALL OF THESE THE 30+ OZ ABOVE - YOU ARE GETTING *ALL* OF THOSE NUTRIENTS IN A FEW GLASSES.
    I COULDNT EAT THAT MANY VEGGIES IN A DAY! AND WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU ATE ANYTHING CLOSE TO THIS IN 2 DAYS? ITS ALL GOOD FOR YOU!

Diggity, I try to eat 3 or 4 small meals along with the juicing and 120 oz of water....you can do either.

Most people find that they need food along with juicing (in theory you do not) I think that being as deficient as our bodies are we should feed it as much healthy food as possible. It is used a a weight loss tool, some people will go 3 days on 4 days off. Or 2 days of each week and 5 days off....My girlfriend did 3 on 4 off and lost 20 pounds in 2 months....but she also ate salads and healthy foods along with her juicing.

I hate to "recommend" a regime from someone I do not know....so trust your ph levels and your body...listen to your body when it says: "Gosh I want ? and something substantial other than juice" and eat it!

Bee Pollen is considered nature’s most complete food. Bee Pollen contains more protein than any other natural food, along with the 22 amino acids of the human body.
    Benefits of Bee Pollen:

- Contains nearly all known nutrients, all 22 amino acids, minerals, vitamins and enzymes.
    - Great energy booster - taken widely by athletes for stamina and for weight control*
    - Natural source of protein*
    - Reduces effects of stress*

Bee products are associated with benefits to the immune, cardiovascular, endocrine, integumentary, nervous, reproductive, cellular, skeletal, hepatic, and respiratory systems*

Anti-aging - hormonal stimulant - energy enhancer - natural antidepressant - weight control - cholesterol control - convalescent aids and much more*

You can find it at your health food store or on the internet.

As far a taking supplements: I do, along with my juices.
    Just don't overdo...you will get many vitamins with all of the juices. My suggestion is to REALLY research your health...look up your particular problems or complaints and find a veggie or fruit that helps to soothe or ease it ....then juice it! The internet has all of this knowledge and more!

I have an Omega 8001, but if you are on a budget I suggest a Juiceman Jr...IF you get into juicing as much as I have you will kick yourself later for not getting a bigger juicer, especially if you juice 64oz+ a day!
    You can also find the juicers online....Omega or I think they sell the Juiceman juicers at Target and Wal-Mart.

Hope this helps!!!

LilLadybug!

PS...I try to drink as MUCH juice as I can ....so as far as "How much?" my reply is I don't know!! I started off with 40+
    oz and was chugging it...I know it kept me going through alot of rough patches! Good luck!

[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2002]
  11. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

12. diggity

diggity New Member

I'm finding this a very interesting post. I'm thinking that with four children and a husband with his own health issues that this is somethng that could benefit all of us. I don't presently own a juicer and both my husband and I have been out of work recently with health problems, so it will probably be a while before a juicer will fit into the budget, but that will give me more time to research and get ready. Thank you for all the info, and for presenting it in such an enlightening and inviting way. You've really piqued my interest.
  13. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

I have been trying the carrot juice only 20 oz. a day off and on, but it makes me nauseous. Do you ever have a problem with that and any suggestions on getting around it? The only things I am juicing is carrots, 1 apple and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.