Juicing for Health

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Recipes For Patients' started by ProHealth, Dec 8, 2006.

1. djreg5

djreg5 New Member

When using the frozen juice, do you set it out of the freezer the night before so it will be thawed for morning? I know heating destroys important nutrients, so I'd think it would have to thaw gradually, not in the microwave. Just curious. I'm freezing juice to take on a short trip, and am wondering about having it thawed for mornings. Thanks.
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I was throwing a bunch of garlic cloves in my juice, but it was astringent tasting.. and it overpowered the flavour of the vegs, so I've cut back.

Two is probably enough for me.

This juicing thing was tough going at first. I thought I would never stick with it, but it's growing on me.

Thanks y'all and esp. Rich for starting this thread.

Delia
  3. victoria123

victoria123 New Member

My favourite juice will always be carrots, celery, continental cucumber & a large granny smith apple. It is just soooooo refreshing. I always drink ANY juice within half an hour or so. I never juice fruits - I prefer the fruit eaten whole to get the fibre.
    Someone mentioned beets (we call them beetroot in Australia)- always include them as a small percentage of your total juice, they have a very powerful effect on the body, so should never be taken alone or as a major ingredient.
    Despite buying a new, top of the range juicer 18months ago, I still can't get parsley (or any other small leaf herb) juiced effectively. So will keep fresh herbs for the salad bowl.
    I forgot to add.......
    Check out books on specific juice combinations - many people don't know that certain combinations work well together & others should not be mixed.
    Certain combinations have a synergistic effect (ie specific ingredients COMBINED may increase the therapeutic effect a hundred times as opposed to the therapeutic effect of a single fruit or vegetable on it's own).
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

because they were in the fridge ...going off.

Yuk, is all i can say. First and last time.

Delia
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have tried many different juicers over the past 20 years. We started with an Acme, then got a used NorWalk but it was a real pain to clean so we sold it to someone doing cancer therapy. Next we bought a Champion and used it for years but after all our kids were gone it was just so heavy and took up so much space that I quit using it.

Now I have an Olympic Juicer (centrifugal). It's alot like the Acme but smaller and fits better on my countertop. I use my VitaMix to make green drinks, but for carrot and other fruit/veg juice combinations I like the Olympic.

My green drink recipe is 1/2 head of red leaf lettuce or 3 cups of spring greens, 1 tomato, 1/2 green pepper, 2 green onions, 2 radishes, 1 carrot, 1 Tbsp oil (olive or sunflower), and salt to taste. I add enough water to the VitaMix to get a puree.

Jan
  6. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

Very Cool post all!

I have been trying to get hubby into eatting better as he never intakes veg at all!

He mentioned juicing a while back and I have a champion juicer it was my moms however I am in Ohio and it is in BC Canada! Gotta get it here somehow or just get a new one lol!

Anyhow will be making hubby read this post so please let us know the developements of where you are all at!

Have you noticed weight drop or other health related benifits? That will help motivate him lol!

Is there juicing books for diabetics as well? He is diabetic and I would hate to raise his sugars too much but there must be a balance somewhere in it somehow!

Blessings Brenda xoxo
  7. WD50

WD50 New Member

I thru out all my juicers and went and bought a ,Osterizer blender.Cheap investment.My mother has had one for 40 years.
    I need the fiber any way.
    The magic 6: Apple, carrot(peeled only forparisites), spinach, parsley, celery, lemmon.

Allways drink within 15 minutes. The enzymes and chlorifil dye quick.
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

This works great for oranges. I haven’t tried it yet for other citrus, but I think it would work just as well for grapefruit, lemons or limes.

Cut a slice off each end of the orange so you have two flat surfaces. Stick a fork in the top end so you have a handle. Cut down the sides of the orange from top to bottom making sure to leave ON as much of the pith (the white stuff) as possible. Go all the way around the orange until all the peel is off.

Note on the pith: The white pith contains pectin and bioflavonoids which help the body to absorb vitamin C and are powerful antioxidants, and they strengthen the body's capillaries, assisting circultaion and enhancing the skin.

[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2007]
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I read that gem on a raw food site. It makes sense to me.

But I will still always add a granny smith apple to any juice concoction I come up with!

My current favorite is:

4 Carrots
    1 Celery stalk
    1 Granny Smith Apple
    handful of flat leaf Parsley
    1" Ginger root
    1/2 Beet (sometimes I leave this out)

Put into a pre-chilled glass and drink. I like drinking it through a straw. That way the foam dies down and I can easily drink it at the end. Yum!
  10. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi all,

I'm thrilled to say that my Omega juicer arrived last Friday. I have been juicing away for myself and my family. Everybody loves the juice.

I've been making Rich Carson's recipe for myself. The first day I noticed an immediate change in my urine. It's really light. I was quite surprised at the immediate shift. I've also been quite fatigued since starting. I'm wondering if the juice is stimulating a detox. Any thoughts on this?

11. fogger2

fogger2 New Member

Curious as to how your juicing your leafy vegetables such as spinich, kale, parsley, etc. I never received much green juice from my Jack LaLanne and it broke in record time. Purchased a top of the line cast iron Breville with two speeds. Some say to roll them up in a ball first but this hasn't worked for me. You are supposed to use a low speed for green leafy veggies but that is not working for me either. Any suggestions how to juice these items without them quikly spinning into the pulp bin?
    Thanks,
    Trish
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2007]
  12. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

How did your blender do with all those veggies? What kind of blender do you have? And how did your final concoction taste? Have you been doing this daily? Thanks for sharing!
  13. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

you don't use immidiately? Does freezing destroy the must-needed enzymes? I find juicing a phycially taxing activity. It involves standing, which is difficult for me, so I prefer to do it occasionaly and freeze the rest.

Also, I have hypoglycelmia. What is a good, nutritionally, tasy juicing recipe that doesn't go overboard with the sugar content?

Thanks

P.S. It is so cool that Rich says his stiff and achy joints went away. When I worked at a health food store, one of our customers couldn't stand up straight. He started juicing and fasting. Eventually he could stand up straight. He lost the pain and stiffness, lost weight, and had an abundance of energy. He also went on a candida destroying cleanse. So cool. But the sugar content always seems to both me.
  14. aimee11

aimee11 New Member

i don't really have a recipe..but i have had a Jack Lalanne juicer since august..i have used it so much, and didn't have a problem with sugar..I have asked the doctor, they said ok, its fructose....I understand the breville one, is better, just more expensive..I can always order an extra blase for mine, when it needs sharpening, from the company. I only use fresh fruit, and around the holidays, bought fresh cranberries. In the summer, the fruit was in abundance, and i would just put all kinds in there, and my complexion looked great, from the rush of vitamins. I am totally in awe of Jack, who was 92 in September, and he was a pioneer in exercise and healthy eating
  15. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

According to the book "The Green Pharmacy", by James A Duke, Ph.D., the following foods contain glutatione (would be good to include in jucing recipes):

Vegetables:

Broccoli
    asparagus
    cabbage
    cauliflower
    potatoes
    tomatoes
    pursale

Fruit:

avocados
    grapefruit
    oranges
    peaches
    watermelon

I know whey is promoted for it's glutathione content, but whole foods which contain it may be just as good.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2007]
  16. bjfoster

bjfoster New Member

I never used the outer part of the melon for fear of ingesting mold.
  17. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I just got started. I have a Breville JE900 Juice Fountain. Single speed. Here's what I've learned.

I don't have the energy to juice every day. So I store in the fridge in a 48 oz juice jug. I also keep an adjustable drafting chair in the kitchen so I can sit down while I'm juicing.

With parsley, I found I can get more juice if I run it through a second time. But I'm not going to bother redoing in the future.

Anyway, Breville is pretty easy to use and take apart. Easier than I expected. And I'm glad to be juicing. So far I'm only doing celery, cucumber and parsley. I like the taste. I plan to try adding cabbage.
  18. kcdragon39

kcdragon39 New Member

My Aunt in California has been taking Mangosteen for her Fibromyalgia since December and she has improved dramatically! My since she told me about it last month and all the other stuff it helps my family has been taking it also. We are doing so well I signed up as a distributor to get the stuff at wholesale!
  19. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Hi Iam from Australia and have been diagnosed wth FM for 12 months now, had to give up work. A dr named Sandra CAbot has written a book called Raw Juices it can save your life...... 1 carrot, 1 small lebanese cucumber, 3 celery sticks, 1/2cm of root ginger n 3 slices of pineapple I am going to try this its recommended 2 glasses daily but unfortunately wont be able to afford this with or without a juicer, I will let you know how it goes
  20. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

HI Harmony, I am an Aussie girl too. I too have been diagnosed with FM. Your fibro juice sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes....