Juicing is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Callum, May 7, 2006.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm fairly new to the board, so forgive me if I'm visiting a tired topic. I've noticed people talking about juicers. What is the benefit over eating the source? Is it a cleaner way to absorb the nutrients? How costly are juicers? Are there any supplements that should not be combined with the juice, such as protein?

Thanks in advance for your advice - I've gained a great deal from reading other's posts.

Bill
  2. Callum

Callum New Member

Will try it!
  3. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

A couple things to point out about juicing though.

It's very expensive especially when using the organic vegetables which you really should use.

If you just use carrot juice and fruit juice you are getting a huge sugar (or glycemic) influx with every glass so if you have yeast problems or sugar metabolism problems be very cautious. Green vegetable juices don't have that concern but don't tast quite the same =P

Finally, if you just gnosh on vegetables all day you get the fiber benefits as well so a balance between veggies and juice is good - in other words, eat your veggies as well as juicing some.

Gretchen
  4. anniec345

anniec345 New Member

My brother who has CFS feels calmer & a little more focussed when he drinks the broth I make from organic vegetables. I always use as many greens as I can put in - collard greens, kale, swwiss chard - PLUS organic onions, organic carrots, and organic daikon radish. Those are the always things - it's good to put in some dried seaweed, too, because it has so many nutrients (if it's big and slimy, I take that out because nobody I know likes the texture). I use bottled spring water, too.

NO SALT, NO SPICES. It tastes bland, but the onions and carrots add a little sweetness.
    I boil it all in a huge pot, serve it as a soup. The thing is, the vegetables by then have already given up all their nutrients to the water - so the broth is what counts. We eat the vegetables, too, for the roughage - but if you want the nutrients, just strain until you have the broth. YOu can freeze it in ice cube trays so you can defrost what you need.

When you heat it up, don't use the microwave, just heat in a pot. You can drink it cold, too.

I got this recipe from my N.D., and then I heard Tom Monte suggest the sea vegetables (seaweed). For my brother's CFS, there's nothing that you can always count on to feel better, but this helps a lot.