Juicing Suggestion for my CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by turtlesyndrome, Dec 5, 2006.

1. turtlesyndrome

turtlesyndrome New Member

I recently watched Dale Figtree's DVD "Joy of Nutrition." Rich Carson said "Dale Figtree has done more to help my health than any other practioner." I purchased it on Pro Health's web site. In it Figtree has a great juicing recipe. I added a few extras to it and voila! I found my new favorite juice.

Here is the list of things I juice:

CARROTS - no more than 4 oz of carrot juice per serving . (figtree says that too much Beta Caratene is not . good for the liver)
    BEETS- no more than 4 oz of Beet juice per serving
    . (again because of Beta Caratene)

PARSLEY
    CILANTRO
    BELL PEPPER
    CUCUMBER
    CELERY
    ZUCHINNI
    DANDELION GREENS
    LEMON
    GINGER
    APPLE

I make between 24-32 ounces and I split it with my Fiance.
    Figtree suggests not adding fruit, but I only add a little apple to it to make it taste better.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/06/2006]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Sounds wonderful and wonderfully healthy. Will try it and get back to you on it. Thanks.
  3. cobie

cobie New Member

Thankyou for that, I was thinking of purchasing her dvd but havn't got around to it. What else does she say ?
    cheers Cobie
  4. turtlesyndrome

Well Dale Figtree PhD. really emphasizes eating a lot of fresh organic veggies, nuts, and (if I remember correctly) at least one raw meal or it's equivalent per day. Which is probably the foods a lot of people could use more of. Figtree explains some of the benefits from many of the foods.

The video is broken down into 4 sections: Juicing, Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Besides the raw foods, she mentions to eat a lot of cooked veggies aswell.

She also puts garlic in her juice, but I prefer to eat it seperate, because the taste is so overpowering. I put about 2 med/large garlic cloves through a garlic press, and then I add a little juice or water to the pressed garlic, and then I drink it rapidly like a shot.
  5. spacee

spacee Member

I have printed it out. I think I can find everything but the dandelion greens and the ginger but I will ask at the supermarket. One of the disadvantages of living in a rurul area.

I never thought of lemon.

I agree with not so much carrot too because of the sugar though. I have a friend with MS who was on the Hallelujah diet which is ALOT of carrot juice. She got candida.

I have started saving some of the pulp to eat with the juice for fiber. It isn't bad at all.

Spacee
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2006]
  6. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I notice some (varieties of) carrots are sweeter than others- that might make a difference if you want to avoid spiking the sugar level. Think I read that when juicing to fight cancer the largest portion of the juice combination should consist of carrot juice. Seems like it was 80% but can't be sure.
  7. LASurfer

LASurfer New Member

Well, I feel like a dork, I noticed this thread just after adding a new post to ask Rich what his drink consisted of.

Here's the scoop on why beets should be taken very moderately: they are full of sugar, even more than carrots. Too much sugar, even from vegetables, is not good for the pancreas, especially if some of the pulp has not been added back into the juice before drinking it. Not only is too much sugar at once bad for the pancreas, it can aggravate yeast or bacterial infections.
  8. turtlesyndrome

Juicing vs. eating whole veggies:

Simply stated of course, according to the DVD "joy of nutrition" Figtree says that juicing is just an addition to eating lots of raw and cooked veggies. Figtree does explain it in more detail.

Now this is just my opinion, but I think there are certain veggies that have nutrients that are only available when consumed raw, however, I would rather have many of them in the form of juice, because of the taste. I mean I tried eating many raw veggies, like Zuchinni, parsley, dandelion greens, beets, ginger, lemon, and the taste and or texture is just too much for me. So that's one reason I juice. Although I do wonder if I could be benefiting from all that left over pulp!

Thanks for all the great comments!
  9. turtlesyndrome