JulieisFree Xyrem vs. Ambien

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gretchen12, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Hi Julie,

Can you tell me the difference between Xyrem & Ambien.

BTW, I just feel you must be a Democrat from reading your posts. I am a Democrat in the heart of Bush country which can be difficult.

Does the news re this war in Iraq bother you like it does me? There are times that I have to turn it off as it upsets me so very much. I hate this war and this administration. Better stop now or I will go into a rant.

Gretchen
  2. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Hi Gretchen,

I can't tell you the exact difference between Ambien and Xyrem, except that Ambien is a medication that is supposed to help you sleep and Xyrem is a Central Nervous System depressant.

PWFM/CFS usually have CNS's that "idle" high all the time. This means that no matter what kind of "sedating" medication you take, even if it knocks you out, the "high-idling" CNS will prevent you from getting level three/four sleep. This is the sleep that most PWFM don't get long periods of due to the Alpha/Delta intrusion sleep disorder.

When you go without this sleep for long enough, your health deteriorates and virtually everything in your body is disrupted. A downward spiral develops and until you fix the sleep problem, it's hard to fix anything else.

I took Ambien for a couple of years when it first came out, but it didn't help my FM/CFIDS symptoms.

I won't get off a a rant here...but I am NOT a democrat! I'm more of an Independent - I have little use for either party!! LOL!

On social issues and personal rights, I'm fairly in the middle (although I have ZERO tolerance for ANYONE who hurts a child), but on foreign policy I am very conservative.

My mom had an office in the Pentagon on 9/11, right where those savages crashed the plane. It took her 18 hours to get a cell phone signal out to my sister to let her know that she had NOT been in her office that morning. When we didn't hear from her, it was hard to imagine that she wasn't dead. It was the worst day of my life.

I don't think we are fighting the war in Iraq correctly, but I do believe that fighting extremism (in any form) is one of the most pressing issues the free world faces. I'm not a huge fan of the current administration, but I see it as the lesser of two evils.

I agree with Darryl Worley, who wrote the song, "Have You Forgotten?" about how people have started to forget how evil the attacks of 9/11 were:

They took all the footage
    off my tv
    said it's too disturbing
    for you and me
    It'll just breed anger
    that's what the experts say
    If it was up to me
    I'd show it everyday

Have you forgotten
    how it felt that day
    to see your homeland under fire
    and her people blown away

Have you forgotten
    when those towers fell
    we had neighbors still inside
    going through a livin' hell
    and you tell me not to worry 'bout
    bin Laden
    Have you forgotten?

Have you forgotten
    all the people killed
    Yeah, some went down like heroes
    in that Pennsylvania field
    Have you forgotten
    about our Pentagon
    All the loved ones that we lost
    and those left to carry on..
    now you tell me not to worry
    'bout bin Laden
    Have you forgotten?

I will NEVER forget that day..and I have too many friends in the military who think that fighting over there rather than here is the better way to deal with the problem - not that there is a "good" way..

julie (is free!)
  3. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the information re Xyrem. I Will certainly bring this up with my dr. & see what he has to say, although I feel like I am fighting this on my own.

Also, I Understand & respect your position on the war, espcially in view of your personal experience. How horrible to not hear from your mother for so many hours.

I had a very good friend who was a bond trader at Cantor Fitzgerald who died in the World Trade Center. I talked to him every day and miss him so much. He was so very bright and such a wonderful human being. My heart aches every day, as I will always miss him and his collegues.

The horrible loss of life is what is so terribly disturbing
    and to see children caught up in this suffering. It does make me wonder where this is all going. Maybe with this disease life seems all the more precious and how futile to waste any part of life on suffering.

Thanks for your reply.

Gretchen
  4. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for understanding my feelings about fighting terror, and accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your friend.

Wasn't C/F the company where only the CEO survived? He was taking his child to his first day of school and was late that day, so everyone who worked for him was killed? If that's right, I remember sobbing as he was interviewed over and over. What a nightmare for everyone.

I'm sorry that you don't have doctors that you feel are "on your team". Without the unwavering support of my neuro and rheumy, I don't know how I would have gotten through the last 14 years.

I think that everyone with these DD has lost so much that we value things more than people who haven't been through this kind of thing. Losing your health, loved ones, career, home, and everything else that goes with it is the most heartbreaking aspect of the whole thing IMHO.

However, it has taught me to be grateful for the GOOD things that I have in my life. I have been blessed with amazing doctors, family and friends who love me, and finally, a return to good health.

I wish the same for everyone here!

julie (is free!)

'cause when your soul is bleedin'
    what you're really needing'
    is the kindness of strangers... - Radney Foster