Juloo, Anyone treated w/ DHEA? Results,Experiences PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAAnnieB, Dec 21, 2005.

1. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Juloo & All,

I have been using a compounded Rx DHEA cream for 3 weeks. So far, I've noticed NO improvement in any symptoms. In fact; I've been worse! I realize this is probably a coincidence. The pharmacist assured me that it takes awhile to reap the benefits of the treatment. (Months?)

My questions for you:

1) Anyone else treated with the DHEA Rx cream? Juloo, you mentioned trying DHEA in the past in your FFC post of 12/19?

2) Did it work? What benefit(s) did you experience?

3) How long did it take to feel a diffrence?

4) Once your DHEA level was increased; did you stop the Rx or do you still use it for maintenance?

5) Any negative side effects from DHEA?

Thanks bunches!

Blessings & Hugs,
    Annie
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2005]
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I haven't started it yet. I tend to stagger starting new supplements and meds -- trying a new one every two or three days so I can tell if I'm having side effects.

I'm going to start testosterone first (the cream came in the mail today), then thyroid, then cortisol, then several supplements, including the DHEA.

Sorry I couldn't help yet, but I'm sure others here have used it and will reply!
  3. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Juloo,

Here's why I thought you had tried the DHEA in the past...from your post:

"She's prescribed the following supplements:

Maitake, Chelated iron, Liv52 (to help the liver clear out), Omega 3s, and DHEA and Pregnenolone. I'm going to have to go slowly with the last two because I've taken them in the past and after a bit I get premenstrual symptoms that worsen."

Were you referring to the Pregnenolone? What is that? It sounds like a hormone-type med/ supp.

I have been prescribed Testosterone Rx cream for my low Testosterone blood level & zippo libido. I started it; but stopped when I got the DHEA Rx from another Dr. I was afraid that if one of the treatments started to work; I wouldn't know which one it was! And these compounded Rx's aren't cheap, are they?!

I'm very interested in how the FFC's are treating people & the progress they hopefully have. I have an appointment in January with a Dr. who treats like the centers & Dr. Teitelbaum. Good luck with your treatments! And Merry Christmas/ Happy New Year! Let's hope we hear better news about effectively treating these DD's in 2006!

Hugs,
    Annie
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2005]
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I definitely could have been a lot more clear! The pregnenolone (and later, 7-Keto) were supposed to boost the low DHEA problem I have. I was told that, for women, pregnenolone is the preferred way to boost it, and that straight DHEA would be a more appropriate supplement for a man who needed to boost it.

When both the pregnenolone and 7-Keto gave me side effects, the alternative practitioner said I could try plain DHEA, and that some people only respond to that, but that I should watch for side effects with it. Shortly after, I found out I could get in to the FFC, and I stopped taking all supplements so that my bloodwork would come back with good baseline results.
  5. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Thanks Juloo!

This hormonal stuff sure is complicated! I am hoping that the new Dr. I'm seeing in January has a really good knowledge of hormonal testing & treatment. Several members here go to him & have spoken highly of him. (Dr. Powell, Sacramento, CA)

I wish you well on your road to better health. Keep us posted on your progress...

Blessings,
    Annie
  6. sdown

sdown New Member

I have been taking DHEA for 4 years for Addison's disease which is adrenal gland exhaustion. Some people who suffer from CFS have Addison's. I take 25 mg a day. If I get the flu or an infection I take 50 mg a day. Ive had no negative side effects. Its all been good for me. I also take cortef (steroid medication)for my adrenal glands.
  7. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

When I was first diagnosed with cfs, one of the first things the doc. recommended was DHEA, because my levels were very low. I took the tablets for about 2 years and then tried the trouches for about 4 months. My DHEA levels returned to the accepted normal range, but I did not feel any different. Because they were so expensive, I stopped taking them.
  8. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi sdown & jfrustrated,

Thank you for your replies. Maybe treating with DHEA simply raises hormone levels & doesn't really FEEL very different to the patient?

Sdown, you mentioned that, "It's all been good for me"...In what way(s)? Do you feel better taking the DHEA? More energy? Less pain? Better libido?

I guess I'm in need of some encouragement!

Merry Christmas!

Hugs,
    Annie