Jump on the venting bandwagon.. Taking charge of your life...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjan9, Sep 7, 2003.

1. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

Hi, some of you guys know me and some of you don't. I've replied to a lot of you with lengthy bits of this and that. I'm pretty hot right now or rather agitated, really about doctors that seem to back off when we need treatment. I have read til my eyeballs bleed of how vicodin for cfs and fibro is commonly used for sufficient pain relief and only about 1% risk addicion. Geezz. I find that it gives me a slight boost, and read it too from research files. I don't have a history of addiction. Never abused or over took the medicine. ect. One doctor told me to tell my primary to check my blood levels and that would shut him up, cause he's only 1 in 2,000 docs that aren't afraid to prescribe the stuff to us in chronic pain. Then I finally go in after not going to see my primary for a long time and his assistant says well so many people like ( with emphasis on LIKE) vicodin and they can't help but become addicted. HE got my goat so I told him " if YOU feel better about giving me Ultracet I'll switch right now" And so I did. What the heck its not the first time I felt I had to prove a point with a dumb doctor. I had already spoke with the man long enough to see that he thought fibro is all in our heads anyway. But I put myself out there again, before the vicodin conversation. and showed him Dr. Teitelbaum's protocal for treatment. It showed provigil for energy. After hearing such good results from many on this board I expressed to him I felt very interested in trying it, that I felt it would probably help me tremendously. He laughed and said it was speed, what the airforce uses on our pilots. and all I needed was to be "hooked" on that too!!
    As I was leaving he said unfortunatly exercise is the only real way to get energy. How bout that for treatment? Can any one top that one?
    Yo
    Kjan9
  2. baybe

baybe New Member

Unfortunately, that seems to be the status quo for the American physician. It is insulting, uneducated, and inhumane. Compassion is way out of the running for these guys and gals. I see doctors as overeducated mechanics and nothing more, as a younger person I saw them as amazing human beings. I grew up with the kind of doctor that came to the house and took care of you right up to your blood test for your wedding which was something he loved to do.
    When I had to look for a new doctor a year ago, before I would make an appointment and spend the money, I would ask right up front, do you treat fibromyalgia? The ones that didn't prescribe pain meds usually said not with narcotics right away and I didn't waste my time, obviously they had a preconceived notion and weren't open to diagnosing. It saved me money.
    I am so sorry this person dismissed and as far as I am concerned demeaned you this way. I had one tell me while I was on the table in a johnny, "It will take you more exercise than you have ever seen to get in shape" at the time I was 140 pounds and 5'7" I'd be glad to be that again, lol. I had sailed on boats, waitressed, worked out regularly and done lots of manual labor for years, certainly more excercise than he had ever seen. Truly, demeaning.
    Isn't funny that the doctor didn't see anything wrong with the fact that the US gives speed to healthy tired people that are in dangerous situations , but not to people that are lacking energy due to illness. I would think you would be the proper candidate for that particular prescription, seems like that guys ethics are a little topsy turvy. Don't think I'd want his energy to be the one I turned to for support. You just sorted the wheat from the chaff, good for you.
  3. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

I forgot to mention. On his computer he only say that I had called in for my vicodin refils, cause thats all the meds I have asked for this particular point. He turns and says see vicodin refil, vicodin refil you make us feel like dope dealers. (I didn't ask for more just reg refils)
    you bet I'll not see them again.
    kjan9
  4. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

it isn't very christian.... unbelievable, and they get paid....

Hugs, Lonewolf
  5. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

I knew I could count on you guys to join it the F_N. When I came home unfortunatley I was on the verge of tears then but knew what I was dealing with before even going, And the best I could say is I swore I would never wish this on my worst enemy...but if some doctors were to get this (the ones who understand it actually do) They could see it's not in our heads but a real organically physical illness that needs proper treatment. Hope some others share their experiences on this one.
    It's curable see a psyciatrist! That really sucks!! You poor thing.
    kjan9
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

that many, if not most, people have experienced this with docs. Most everything I've ever had I've always been told initially to go see the psychiatrist down the hall before anything more than a routine blood test is done. And they really hate it if you come in having read anything!

That said, I have found a very few doctors that don't follow that general protocol in med school (women are all hypochondriacs and/or if it isn't obvious to the eye or on a standard blood test it's not real). Needless to say, they're the ones I stick with.

My husband was a psychologist - one time he had a woman sent to him by a neurologist for psychosomatic illness... she had 'unexplained' pain in her ankle. Except that her ankle was swollen. My hubby told her to keep going to doctors, at least to do an Xray as nobody had done one ... turns out in the end she had a broken ankle! And then the neurologist had the nerve to be mad at my hubby for referring her on to other doctors!

Just one of many stories that we could all tell...

LOL, Victoria

7. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

I REALLY THINK IT IS MUCH EASIER TO DIAGNOSE YOURSELF AND TREAT YOUR SELF SOMETIMES, I HAVE SO MANY DOCTORS THAT RUSH ME OUT THE OFFICE BRFORE I AM FINISHED TALKING, ONE DOCTOR TOLD ME TO HURRY UP AN GET TO THE POINT.,AS HE WAS REALLY BUSY. HE HAD A LOT OF OTHER CLIENTS. THAT WERE SICKER THAN ME. AND I WAS REAL SICK THAT DAY. SO NOW I FO TO ANOTHER DOCTOR AND IF I DON'T THINK I WANT WHAT HE IS GIVING ME I DON;T TAKE IT. OR I REALLY CHECK OUT ON THE INTERNET. THE SIDE AFFECTS AND WHAT EVER ELSE. I TAKE A LOT OF GOOD VITIMIMS. AND SOME OTHER MED THE DOCTOR GAVE ME. . MEVERTHE LESS I KNOW MY BODY AND MIND AND I KNOW WHAT I NEED/.......SHARON5650