June 5th Bible Study

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Lms526, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

"Heavenly Father, I pray that You would reveal the truth of your Word to each one of us. Please speak to us and help us to be open to whatever You wish to say to us. May we rightly divide Your Word of truth. May we bring You honor and glory through this study. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Okay, the passage I have selected this week is Ephesians 6:13-18 Below is the text from the New Living Translation

Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere

Discussion Questions.

1. How do we put on the armour of God? What are the consequences if we don't?

2. What are some of the fiery darts of the enemy? Do you think Satan targets Christians in general, or do you think he chooses specific darts for specific people according to their sinful tendancies and weakenesses?

3. What do you think it means to pray in the Spirit?

4. Paul tells us that we are to be persistent in prayer. Do you find it easy or difficult to persist in prayer? When you find it most difficult?

5. An online dictionary gives the following definitions for persistent:
    a) peristing especially in spite of opposition, obstacles, discouragement etc. persevering.
    b) lasting or enduring tenaciously.
    c) constantly repeated; constantly.

6.How do you think those definitions can be applied to our prayer lives?

7. Do you pray regularly for other believers? If not, why not?

Well...that should do it. I think it's should spark an interesting discussion. God bless

Lms526

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2007]
  2. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

just bumping this back up to the top.
  3. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

just bumping it up. Hanginthere, I'm not sure what happened to your post. Did you delete it?

Lms526
  4. 143alan

143alan New Member

This is a really great scripture but one I've heard so many conflicting teachings on. As straight forward as it seems it's interesting how many points of view can come out of it. Of course this is just my own as well.

1. I heard Charles Stanley preach on this one time and he talked about putting on the armor of God each morning as he woke up he would invision in his mind actually putting on armor as if it were clothing and he would review each peice as he put it on and pray and meditate on each one. He refered to it as being just like our other clothes and how as believers we are naked without it. That teaching stuck w/ me more than any other I guess and I have often meditated on it in the same way. I would think about what each piece means and how it protects my body.
    2. I think the fiery darts are those things that Satan knows will bother us and may cause us to lose our way, things that make us lose our patience with other people, or problems in life that make us feel like God doesn't love us anymore. He loves using those darts that make us question our relationship with God especially because if he can get us doubting God he's on his way to victory over our soul. I think Satan uses the darts that he knows will work on each individual such as if someone has a problem keeping their finances straight, then that's the area he targets, if someone has a problem with addiction then that's the area he targets more. I know Satan isn't after Christians in general. The ones he knows he already has he doesn't have to work as hard to keep, it's the Christian that he has to work harder to get. I heard a teaching one time that said, if you're not being attacked by Satan, it's because he already has you.
    3. I've never really understood what it means to pray in the spirit. There again I've heard it taught that the holy spirit that was sent to live in each believer prays on our behalf when we can not and that this is praying unceasingly. So, is praying in the spirit prayers that we consciously know and understand or do we need to know at all or just have faith in the spirit who is praying on our behalf?
    4. I find it difficult to be persistant in prayer. There again one of Satan's fiery darts because he knows this is an area of weakness for me. I believe though that any communication with God is prayer so when I'm just thinking about God and the beauty he creates I'm talking to him. If I'm thinking about a horrible situation in my caseload and how bad I wish I could help outside the role I'm able to I'm praying for God to intervene and help the people. So in reality in my mind I am praying persistantly. Another teaching I've heard on this talks about persistant praying as continuing to pray on a situation until you know that God has answered your prayers with a yes or no.
    5 & 6 - The definitions to persistent can all apply to our prayer lives in any opinion we have about these scriptures. Persisting especially in spite of discouragement I can identify with. Those who feel that prayers have to be constantly repeated can identify with that one.
    7. No, I forget. Just that simple.

Thanks Lms for taking the time to bring us the Bible Study every week. I know it involves a lot of planning and researching on your part and I appreciate it whether I get a chance to respond or not.

Take Care
    Nancy (Manager)
  5. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hi everyone,
    Here's the wrap up for this week's study.

Lms526