Jury Duty while on SS Disability???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Dara, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

I received a summons for jury duty about a month ago. I wrote a letter notifying them that I have been determined as disabled according to SS. I also let them know that I have cognitive & memory problems due to fatigue & depression and am unable to sit for more than 15 to 20 minutes at a time, sometimes less.

Much to my unpleasant surprise, I received a letter from the Courts today telling me that they are unable to approve my request to be excused.

This jury is supposed to last six weeks, or longer. The schedule would be Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm, sometimes later. This would mean that from the time I left home until I got back, if it ended at 5pm, I would be gone from 7:am to 6:00pm. Now, if I could keep that kind of schedule I would be working.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, were you finally excused or did you have to serve? I am not trying to shrug off of my civic duty, but really, I think this is ridiculous. I know if I were on trial for anything I sure wouldn't want someone like me making a decision as to whether I'm guilty of something or not.

Half the time I'd be falling asleep, other half I'd be in the bathroom (IBS). This has "really" got me stressed out.

Any suggestions????

Dara
  2. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Hi Dara, When I was summoned I had my Dr write them a letter stating I could not do jury duty and that took care of it. They did not question it at all.
    Good Luck!
    Darla
  3. SueQ

SueQ New Member

Hey Dara,
    You have to have your dr write you a letter confirmingthat you are unable to serve. My dr has the forms and he just filled in the blanks. Hubby delivered it to the court house and I have been removed form the roster .
    Good luck.
    Hugs, Susan
  4. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Hi,

When I was called for Jury Duty, I asked my doctor to write a note to them. That excused me.

It is ridiculous. More force used upon us.

Don't they have to talk with you first, before they put you on a jury?

I just asked my husband what transpired when he went, after being called. He said first, you make an appearance and wait. Sometimes things are settled out of court, and no need for the jury. Other times, after appearing for the duty, when you are called up, you answer questions from the attorneys. If both like what you say, you're selected. If either one doesn't like what you have to say, then you are not selected.

If it ever came to that with me, I know exactly what I'd have to say. I will not sit in judgement of anyone, according to how I was raised and my religious beliefs. If they felt that was a cop out on my part, so be it.

With the conditions we have, and they choose to ignore our physical conditions, I'd be darned if I sit on some jury and be in pain because I had to urinate, whatever. Not that I can sit or stand in any one place that long anyway, but if I had to go to the bathroom, and had no way to do it, I'd go right smack there in the chair. I've already been extremely embarassed by mishaps, in public places, and had no control over it. One more incident, isn't going to damage me any further. Let them go get the mop!

Some of these situations forced upon us, are just insane. It has nothing to do with "civic duty" from my perspective. We are judged all the time by others, and it isn't a comfortable position for any of us. That court is judging you with it's reply.

I'm sorry .. I get upset with the idea of being forced to do something, when I know I can't. If what I say, falls on deaf ears, then they will have to deal with the mishaps, take me to the hospital, whatever. They were informed. They are also responsible for any negative outcome as a result of their ignorance, including paying the charges for an ambulance.

Try the doctors note.

Love,
    Tunes

5. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I really enjoyed the jury duty I was on but I was feeling better than. We were on a case and got to decide how much money to award a gentleman. Talk about a power trip, it was all in our hands. I also was interviewed for a murder case (wife hires student to kill husband) but was not choosen. This was interesting, very tiring and you do have to be able to focus and remember way to much if your FM/CFS is more than just a minor problem. We awarded the guy 1/2 a million dollars so I think you need to really be on your toes mentally and physically to do jury duty. People's whole life is in your hands.
  6. monicacat

monicacat Member

I've been called for jury duty three times since I've been ill, all three times I sent in a note from my doc., I've always been excused.

I wish that I could serve as I think it would be fascinating.

Monicacat
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

This is either the second or third time I've been summoned for jury duty, each time my doctor has sent in a letter to dismiss me and they accepted that. I guess I was just silly to think they may have kept that letter on file to permanently dismiss me from being called in the future.

I do agree, I think it would be great to serve on a jury. This one must be something "special" because it is referred to as a "special jury panel", I think it could probably turn out to be very interesting. If there was anyway I could do it, I would. I am sure that SSD would be interested in knowing how I could do this and yet be unable to work everyday!!

I am hand delivering a letter to my doctor this morning to ask him to write yet another letter dismissing me from this and all future jury duty requests.

Thanks again guys, what would I do without you???

Dara
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

So now I don't have to worry about that anymore. I really do wish that I could serve on a jury. Never done it, when I was healthier I used to get upset because everyone I know got the summons to appear and I never did. Since I've been sick I've lost count of how many times I've been summoned.

Dara