Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by NyroFan, May 2, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I guess everyone knows that when you get a jury duty notice you have to attend. Not always so. I sent all of my papers to the rheumatologist and asked him to 'take care of it' please.

He filled out all the papers and I did not have to make that long trip every day for who knows how long.

He wrote a letter with the paper that said I was unable to atted due to illness.

Just another tid-bit of info in case anyone did not know there were options.

nyrofan
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

My Dr. just wrote a note on a script and I took it up to the courthouse. The girl made a copy of it and put it on file. I don't think I will ever be called; do you know Nyrofan? Is this permanent?

This is GREAT information and glad that you posted it for everyone.

BlueSky555
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

BlueSky:

I believe it is permanent.

nyrofan
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was to FAX my Medicare Card or, I could have sent my disability letter from SS to get a permanent waiver from jury duty.

Love, Mikie
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Our forms in this county used to ask if there was any "physical reason" why you couldn't serve.

My DH wrote that he "physically had to have his a** at work to support his family!" He was excused!

They can't ask that anymore because of the laws we have now, but I thought that was a pretty good reply!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  6. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I had the situation a few years ago and got off with a Dr.'s note. If it really hurts you to sit for an extended period of time or travel a long distance for who know how long it is our duty in a way to stand up for persons with FMS and CFIDS and other diseases that we can't perform certain civic duties even if we want to. I was working at the time and would have been paid by my employer no matter what but I would not put myself through it because I know I would suffer. Also with a lot of FMS sufferers comes IBS and when you gotta go you gotta go. Take care - Bobby
  7. painandagony

painandagony New Member

and her doctor wouldn't write her a note. He said there's no physical reason she can't sit jury duty. she's had cfs for 10 years, has only had this doctor the whole time, etc. She went in to see him and finally got it worked out, but it shouldn't have had to go that far.
  8. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

My husband received a jury duty notice last month and I sent back a reply stating that "he was the only breadwinner with a steep mortgage payment every month and had to be at work". Did the trick! He was excused.

9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My psychiatrist has gotten me excused from jury duty now for over 8 years. In fact, I wonder if they have gotten the point yet?

The anxiety and the pain would bury me!

Hope all take advantage to this service.

Sue
  10. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Here in Calif. when I first became an atty there was a statute that listed 2 dozen occupations that were excused from jury duty including: attorneys, undertakers, and train engineers.

They took that statue off the books some decades ago. Then there was a period where I would get excused w/ a dr.'s note.

The new policy is no notes from anybody and no excuses. You report the first day. After that you are on call and don't have to go to the courthouse till you are advised by phone. So for most people it's a one day inconvience.

But for most of us that one day would be very difficult.
  11. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I was called to jury duty a couple of years ago. I wrote a letter explaining that I was disabled, and I was released. The letter they sent me said it was permanent, but that I would have to "renew" it every 3 years. No problem!

God Bless.
  12. suemorr

suemorr New Member

I decided to check out the subject of jury duty since I'm going May 17 to get ideas as to how the rest of you made out. I'm not looking forward to it. I hate getting called, but I didn't want to cave in to the fibromyalgia. Stupid, huh? Well I'll find out next Wednesday how smart I was. Since I was only diagnosed Dec. 2004, and postponed my jury duty from last June, I figured I should give it a shot. But as someone said here, with the anxiety comes the pain. I have a terrible time even walking, never mind all the other stuff that comes with this. :)

What kind of juror will I make? Well, when I'm working, I have a certain place where I put my pills so I'll know whether or not I've taken them. Today, with both the Disalcid and the Zoloft, I remember taking one of each but not both pills, yet both are gone. I guess I did take both. Jeez, the poor defendant who would be counting on me. :)
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

in live in marin county, california....i called up they sent form me to have dr. sign...and i mailed it back...received letter stating i was exempt , i beleive it was for a year...so i could still be on the jury prospect roll...

if they don't mind me laying on the floor or falling asleep that is cool w/me...on some pain meds every now and then...

i would love to be on jury duty...but i am afraid i do not know if i could be unbiased on some cases...so i would just tell them the truth...

law has always interseted me and that is one of my regrets in life...not pursuing law school...

hang in there guys you will get off duty one way or another...

jodie
  14. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I did jury duty about 15 year ago. So I knew when I got my latest letter to show up for jury duty that I wouldn't be able to do it.

I would have been very sick by the time the trial was over. The first time I felt like it was my duty and I still feel that way. But... I want to be at my best. Just like I would want someone to be their best for me in that situation.

So I asked my rheumy if she thought I was able and she didn't think I was either. She faxed a note to the court with my ID number on it and that was that.

One of the main reasons I don't think that we should do jury duty is the brain fog. My memory is bad also. It takes a lot of mental energy to take everything in.

Hugs

Jodi
  15. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

When you receive your notice to be present for jury duty, the only way out of it is your over the age of 65, have children under the age of 5 and are a stay at home mother to those children or you are mentally or physically handicapped and have to have written proof or you are a convicted felon. If you don't show up, you get a warrant for your arrest and in my county they will put your rear in jail for it. I never get called, married to an attorney and am a paralegal so they don't want me.

TxSongBird
  16. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I had a summons for jury duty last year. I asked my PCP for an excuse so I wouldn't have to attend. He gave me a note on his perscription pad that said I had FMS systematic (whatever that is) and wrote permanent on it.
    I received a letter that was permanent, if I ever get called all I do is send in a copy of the letter.
    I was very happy about that, as just going to work every day is bad enough, with pain and all.
    Cindy
    I live in San Bernardino County
  17. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i was excused from jury duty not based on fm but based on having bipolar disorder. i think that they except a lot of medical reasons for people to be excused.
    rachel