jury duty

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rinaldo, Aug 2, 2006.

1. rinaldo

rinaldo New Member

Hi I was summond for jury dudy on Aug 24, I would have to take a bus downtown and appprox 700am. I have fibro and chronic fatigue. I dont know how im going to get up. My Doctor wont give me an excuse. anyone else have to go to jury dudy.
  2. chickadee

chickadee New Member

explaining that I sometimes had diarrhea and many other problems that would make an extreme hardship for me to try to serve.

I received a letter back excusing me. I am sure Judge didn't want anyone that might have to excuse herself to go to the bathroom. It's worth a try!

Peace,
    Chickadee
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Call or write to them explaining to them that you are ill and that your type of illness is unpredictable. They will very likely excuse you, it is worth a try.

Kriket
  4. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Rinaldo,

Why does the doctor refuse to give you an excuse? That seems hardly fair...I was called to jury duty and I asked my doctor to excuse me...I only thought it would be that one time....I got a permanent excuse...

Do you have a chiropractor? he/she should be able to give you an excuse.....worth a try. I hope it works out for you..
    Cindy
  5. wkirk87

wkirk87 New Member

You should report your doctor to some authorities of some sort. I don't know who, but this is unacceptable of him/her. For Christ's sakes, calling it 'chronic fatigue' is bad enough let alone outright claiming it isn't even a real disease. In fact, since you can get disability checks from the government for having CFIDS/FM (of course barring income limitations), the court has to recognize your (your choice still) inability to serve. I'm curious if someone could sue a doctor for malpractice over this. If they're not listening to their patients nor trying to keep at all updated with medicine, they sure as **** aren't a 'doctor' and thus shouldn't be allowed to call themself one.

I'm sorry if I'm feeding into your anger. If you can't serve you can't serve and the government won't punish you for it. My mom got out of it by saying she had to take care of me and my brother when we were kids, and my dad even got out of it by saying he had to take care of our dog recently. There are millions of people who can't serve for tons of reasons including disease, poverty, responsibilities, etc. and the government knows it and is understanding. Your doctor's just a ****. I HIGHLY recommend you find a new doctor. You need a doctor who will actually listen and adhere to your problems, otherwise you'll be stuck with them forever. Good luck!! (hugs)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2006]
  6. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I had been summoned for jury duty when my son was about 2 years old or maybe younger. When they send you the letter saying you've been summoned, they usually send info on what to do if it's going to be a major inconvenience. At the time, my husband worked full time and JJ was not in daycare. I was a stay-at-home mom with nobody to watch my son. So, I wrote them a letter saying that I was a SAHM and had nobody else available to watch him. The court then sent me a letter a short time later which excused me from jury duty.

Hope this helps,
    Kim
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

and can't sit for too long. It is true, I am always fidgeting. I always get excused........Patti
  8. Daisys

Daisys Member

I've been called several times, and every time the doctor wrote an excuse for me. Several different doctors thru the years have all without question done that for me.

If they had refused, I would have written a note explaining that I get sick if I have to get up that early more than a day or two in a row, especially if I can't have naps. They don't want to pick someone who can't stay for the entire trial anyway, so it's a favor to them to let them know ahead of time.

It looks like your doctor doesn't understand your illness.
  9. mary124

mary124 New Member

I had to go to jury duty twice. Once was ok was there for a whole week, wasn't picked. Had no problems with my illness (I have Interstitial Cystitis - IC) the other time I was in a huge flare and I told the Judge that I had a health issue explain to him that I was always in the bathroom and he excused me.
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

I just called my psychiatrist and said my energy is very low, having headaches every day, will you fax me an excuse? He said certainly. I faxed it to the courthouse. No problem.