Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Meese, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Meese

Meese New Member

Has anyone had a problem being excuse from jury duty? I presented a letter to the judge from my local doctor and he would not excuse me. I then had a letter sent from my Fatigue doctor and am waiting to hear from his office.
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN ALSO YOU CAN BE EXCUSED NOT ONLY THAT MY ONE GIRLFRIEND WAS CALLED ABOUT 3X AND JUST NEVER SHOWED THEY NEVER EVEN CONTACTED HER ABOUT IT CHARLENE
  3. paige51

paige51 New Member

I have been called for jury duty three times since I have become disabled. Was excused each time. I have served on Jury duty and know that it requires a lot of concentration.

In all fairness to the person being charged, I knew I was unable to serve effeciently and asked to be excused.

What lawyer would even consider someone like me to serve.

good luck
    paige51
  4. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

I sent a letter from myself, telling them with pain there was no way I could sit for hours. I was excused no questions asked. I sent it in as soon as I got my letter that I had to serve. They wrote back right away. I had served in years previously, before I was "sick" and I menioned that too. They said I may be called again and that if I were, to just send another letter to be excused.
    Good luck. Pattie
  5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

My daughter forgot to show up for jury duty once, and she had to do a day of community service with some pretty rough characters who were serving for much worse offenses.

If I get called for jury duty, I will just call them and tell them I would not be a good jurist because of all of the meds I have to be on. I wouldn't want "me" on a jury if I was the defendant.
    Mini
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Driving a few minutes wears me out and I have a hard time walking and sitting.

I would think a letter from you along with maybe a letter from your DR should suffice?

This is a great thread. I have never been called to Jury Duty (I am 53). But if I ever do get called it will be nice to know how to handle it. I live in a large city and would have to go downtown everyday for a couple of weeks? I could not handle a stressful 30 minute drive like that.
  7. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I asked my PCP for an excuse to Jury Duty, he wrote it for permanent excusal. I recieved a letter that excused me completely from duty. All I have to do is send a copy of the letter if I get called again.....I know I could not sit for hours at a time......
    Cindy
  8. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I live in a small county and when I was received the summons for jury duty all I did was call. I told the clerk that I had a chronic illness and was mostly housebound. She asked if I worked (I didn't) and if I recieved disability (told her I was in the application process). I was excused by her right then.
  9. novitality

novitality New Member

Don't you hate that! I'm so, so tired of it.
  10. Meese

Meese New Member

Thanks for your responses. I haven't heard from the judges office yet. I plan to call in the morning. I got so emotional dealing with this judge. After he read my letter he looked at me and told me "I think you can do this". It was another person telling me there was nothing wrong with me and not understanding. I plan to talk to a lawyer to see what my legal rights are if he doesn't excuse me. I'm tired of being treated like this.
  11. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi, i have also had "the summons" 3 times since being sick! I did remind them that due to my high levels of pain meds, my opinion would not be legally binding, in addition to the fact that i couldn't predictibly be there when needed, could never sit still for more than 30 minutes and would be quite the distraction with my legs up on the juror in front of me, etc. THEN--there are the MULTIPLE bathroom breaks needed, with no warning and need to go quickly!
    I also was excused 3 times, and felt this whole thing would have been something to mention to the ALJ ( couldn't even make the easiest $9/day D/T symptoms!) but my aaty. didn't agree that it was importane. --L
  12. forfink

forfink New Member

Boy this is a great question! Thanks.
    I did get called 2 times in the last 6 years and I drove 45 minutes each way to get there, during morning rush hour, was excused because they did not need me. I was so nervous I would get called that it put more stress on me. I new I would be in awful pain if I had to sit around all day. And then the fear I might have to do this every day for a few days........

Next time I think I will get a medical excuse, the stress it caused me was so awful, I'd rather not put myself through it. You know if I were normal and felt great, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Think you all would agree?
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I sent copies of my letter of disability and my Medicare Disability card and was excused. A letter from my doc would have been acceptable too. I e-mailed the court and told them I cannot sit for very long and that I have cognitive and fatigue issues. No one would want me on their jury.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's good to ignore those things. Anyone here know what the consequences might be?

Love, Mikie
  15. Meese

Meese New Member

Thought you would want to know I talked to a lawyer this morning and I have no legal rights. The judge has the authority to determine if I can do this. The lawyer advised me to appear or I would be arrested. I still have not heard from the judges office so I am assuming he is not going to excuse me. The lawyer said I do have the legal right when the lawyers ask if anyone feels they can not serve to the best of their ability to raise my hand and state I have Chronic Fatigue, etc. Will this illness ever get respect?
  16. I was selected for jury duty and mentioned it to my rheumatolgist and he said no it was not a good idea for a person with fibro to sit that long and gave me a letter, so I did not have to go. Thank goodness. And this dr. is a funny about things like handicapped parking he won't give me one, but he gave me a letter excusing me from Jury duty, go figure.
  17. Meese

Meese New Member

Finally got a call from the Judge's office and they are excusing me after receiving a letter from my Fatigue doctor. Thank heavens!