Just 2 simple little questions....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeavenlyRN, Feb 10, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I have heard through the grapevine that should not be posting our e-mail address in case we want to "talk" with someone offline.

1) can someone explain why

2) how does a person go about getting hold of someone if those 2 consenting, responsible adults (who by the way, have certainly already signed HIPPA paperwork) want to contact one another?

Thanks from a curious person who is not trying to cause any trouble! :)

2. Juloo

Juloo Member

The rule is in place for a couple of reasons if I understand correctly. First, it is so your email address can't be grabbed and used by people you do NOT want to use it. Second, sometimes people come on and post an email address that is actually being used to advertising purposes, and the site doesn't want that.

I've heard that you and the other person can get in one of the chat rooms at the same time and exchange the information there. That way, if no one else is there, the information stays private.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
  3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Thanks for the explanation (sounds reasonable) and the information about the chat rooms. I haven't even tried that yet, but I will now.

Thanks again.
  4. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Okey dokey. I went to the "chat room" section. It asked for user name and password. I put in the user name and password I use to get on to the message boards. It told me that that username does not exist. Well, that was pretty hurtful, since I'm sitting right here in my jammies!

Anyway, then I then went to "register." The little green thingee lit up when I clicked my cursor on it, but then nothing happened.

What's a gal to do?

5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I wouldn't take it personally. Probably some sort of glitch. Maybe try again a little later. Stranger things have happened.

Good luck,
  6. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

HeavenlyRN.....I think this is overkill.....we want to talk privately and this site just squashes our opportunities to get to know each other better....

as long as I am complaining, I really hate the new format where our profile photos don't accompany our posts....that used to help me remember people better and it was fun to see people's pets, kids, and special interests......

I wish I could make some friends and share personal information without putting it on the message board for everyone in the world to read....
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think not only is this rule to protect us but understandably Pro Health. If someone gives an email address and something unfortunate happens, they can be liable.

I did like the board better when we had to sign in to read the responses. Now that anyone can read the posts and replies, I have removed any private information from my profile.

It's not a biggie for me but I think it would be nice to have PM. It's probably very complicated as well as expensive.

So it looks like going to chat may be the best option.

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2010]
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I totally agree, having the Private Messaging option is SO wonderful! The sites I've used also have the option to have PM on your account or not. Some people don't like to be messaged.
    also you could block certain users.
    It would
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I really don't see what difference it makes if a person signs in to read or not. The same person that you don't want reading your private information can very easily register, sign in and read.