Just a comment to read on HHV6A

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicaz49, Jan 30, 2007.

1. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

hhv6 is one of the viruses you need to have high antibody levels to in order to qualify for montoyas valcyte study.
    I was just researching on the internet and found a "fact for the day".

hhv6a is commonly found in 4 groups of people.
    Those with multiple sclerosis, those with cancer, those in people with AIDS and people with CFS!
    Nice isnt it?

I mean look at the severity of all those groups! Its tough cause we are sick but have no where near the support or resources as the other groups. Sometimes i feel so sick and i know people w/ cancer that look and feel so much better than me. Its amazing.
  2. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Interesting. Do you care to share the site? or is it against board rules? I think it's okay as long as the site is not promoting or selling something.

Foxglove
  3. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Does anyone know what percentage of the Population have HHV-6?

Is it like EBV where 95% of the population get it by the age of 30-40?

I tested negative for HHV-6 in 2005 and I have CFS.
  4. jess

jess New Member

Hi, I have hhv-6 and EBV. I was wondering what is considered high? When I was tested all they said was it looked like I was exposed to HHv-6 at one time. What does that mean? I have antibodies to it. I don't think it goes away on its own. Jess
  5. winsomme

winsomme New Member

swedeboy

i would get tested again for HHV-6. maybe have a different lab run the test. the positivity for it i think is even higher that EBV because one form of the virus is aquired in early childhood.

the trick part is that there are two variants of the HHV-6 virus. there is HHV-6A and HHV-6B.

the B variant is the common one, and the A one is the one that is suspected in CFS and MS too.

the problem is that there is no reliable or even commercially available antibody test to differentiate the two.

the other main ways of testing are culture and PCR. they have so far have not proven sensitive or reliable enough to be used.

so we are left with antibody tests that also are not absolute especially for CFS.

if you are going to Montoya i would definitely have him retest you for HHV-6. it's not perfect, but it might get you into his study.

also there is a group of virologists in MIlwaukee, WI who study this virus almost exclusively and were quoted in a book a few years ago by a well respected science reporter.

i can't remember the name of it at the moment. but if you google "Institute for Viral Pathogenesis" you will find the researchers and i think also the name of the book.

thanks
    bill

6. winsomme

winsomme New Member

okay so the book is called "The Virus Within" by Nicholas Regush, who i believe i read passed away.

and the web site is:

www.ivpresearch.org

thanks
    bill
  7. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I was tested at Immunosciences lab for HHV-6. I was also tested for it again a couple of weeks ago (again by Immunosciences lab), the results should be in any day.

you said "the problem is that there is no reliable or even commercially available antibody test to differentiate the two."
    So then how do you test for HHV-6A and HHV-6B then?

How do you get a test. So, you can have A and not B, and you can have B and not A, and there is still no way to differentiate the two?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am a little confused.

What is "PCR" I have seen it before but I don't know what it stands for.

If one is positive for HHV-6A do you still need to have the HHV-6B tested. Where can I get the HHV-6B test at? Is it different from HHV-7 or 8.

Thanks, Sean
  8. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Thanks for all the great info!
    I went to the website: http://www.ivpresearch.org/cfs_paper2.htm
    and I read the article on CFS and HHV-6. However, I didn't see anything about HHV-6A or HHV-6B. I am not doubting their existence, I would just like to know more about them.

I was also negative for CMV.

As soon as my CFIDS Panel 1 and 2, and Molecular biology of CFIDS panel test results arrive I will havemore up to date info on my HHV-6, CMV, and EBV tests. All the tests are from Immunosciences Lab in Beverly Hills, Ca.

In the past I tested negative for CMV and HHV-6, but I have high antibodies for a past infection of EBV.

Peace and Love, Sean

9. winsomme

winsomme New Member

sean

i don't know that i can give a huge insight here except that the antibody tests right now don't tell you if it is the A or B variant.

the B variant causes a childhood disease called Roseola and it infects almost the whole population as far as i know.

the A variant is not fully understood, but it suspected to be involved in some way in CFS and MS. this is only a theory, but the research is building.

PCR tests are tests that look for either the DNA or RNA of a particular virus. they are not hugely used and especially not for HHV-6 because the have not shown at this point to be sensitive enough - meaning you can test negative but still have the virus.

as for antibody tests, make sure they are doing IgG and IgM.
    you might be negative for IgM but still be positive for IgG.

IgM is only positive when you first are exposed to a virus, but then go away.

Montoya i believe is using IgG for HHV-6 in his study, and i don't think he is making any pronouncements of A vs B variant. and that may be because there is no reliable way at this point to verify one way or the other.

i think i remember you saying that you are going to see Dr Montoya. i think it would definitely be worth it to have him test you for HHV-6 at the lab he uses just to make sure.

also make sure the tests that you have had done are for IgG.

i would be happy to give any other thoughts i have on this so please keep asking and if i have info i will certainly add it.

thanks
    bill