Just a quick question, about muscle relaxers...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckzim, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ckzim

ckzim New Member

My md has me running all over the place, and I'm so fatigued I can't think straight, hoping everyone here can help me out.
    The muscle relaxer she prescribed,( the pharmcey kept, so I don't know the name of it) is not covered by my insurance. I was on Flexril, she said that was the strongest and may be why I have no energy.....OK??? (Even though I told her I hadn't been taking it, for tha reason)
    I do have a brain in my head....anyways...is there a muscle relaxer somewhere between say the from the mildest form,to the Flexril?
    I don't want the weakest, but Flexril does leave me sometimes groggy, so I only take it at night. I would like to take one maybe during the day.
    I can barley walk today as I have charly hoarses in both my calves, and I can't get them to ease no matter what I do.
    So anyone??? Help!
    HUGS
    KathyZ
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kathy:
    Many years ago I used something called Equagesic for a muscle relaxant. I do not even know if they still make it, but it really did the trick for me. These days it seems Flexeril is the 'big' relaxant and I do take that now.
    I sure wish I could have Equagesic again. Now that you brought up the subject I just might ask my doctor on the next visit for it.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I always ask for the lowest dose and then I split the tablet. After I build a tolerance to that, then I can take the whole thing.
    I alternate between Flexeril and Zanaflex right now. I tried Skelaxin, but it did nothing for me.
    You might want to try it since it doesn't seem to be as strong.
    Everyone is different so you may have to try a few.
    All muscle relaxers will make you tired/sleepy to some degree, because it is slowing your heartbeat down.
    I hope you find one you like soon.:)
    Claudia
  4. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

The muscle relaxer I take is Zanaflex. I have tried most of them, and this one is the only one that helps me without putting me to sleep.

Good luck,
    Leanne
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

The flexeral knocked me out for about 12 hours. Tried Skelaxin but it gave me horrible bone pain.

I take riboxin (?) it works pretty good. I don't take it all the time, just when my back is in spasms, like this week!

What I take is the generic and my insurance covers it. My insurance doesn't cover a lot of th newer drugs and I think this one is one of the older muscle relaxers.

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  6. leubie

leubie New Member

HEY KATHY, ask your Doc to let you try zanaflex-- start taking at night one--then every couple of weeks build yourself up and add one. I take 4 a day--morning,12,5, and 2 at bedtime. Good Luck--LOVE TO ALL-LAURA
  7. ckzim

ckzim New Member

Thanks everybody for coming to my aid...you guys are always so supportive, and knowledgeable, and sweet...I could go on and on, so a big Thank you.

I finally pulled my head out for a minute and looked for the Meicare Prescription drug coverage book...(dah Kathy?)
    It said "Balofen", and a bunch of other probley Generic names.
    Soooo..I call the doc....she won't Rx that....(Well that's just GREAT!)
    She will only prescribe "robaxin" and "zanaflex" why????...didn't she jus say that in the beginning? I'm so flustered right now, overwhelmed, can't walk, trying to consitrate...I'm trying,but it's just not good enough I guess...but I've got to keep pushing on...otherwise...who will? I am going to run these genertc names..see if any of them are roaxin or zanaflex.
    Again, thank you all...I'm on the search!
    hugs
    Kathy
  8. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Zanaflex generic is tizanidine, Flexeril is cyclobenzaprine.
    I use the generics, but when I talk I use the brand name.
    It is easier to pronounce and spell!:)
    Take care, Claudia
  9. ckzim

ckzim New Member

I should of looked here, before I went looking up all the genertic names in this dumb little book...Why I ask would the Gov put out a book with only genertic names in it? I dont' get it??? Some are brand names some are not...a Fibromites nightmare I tell ya!
    So the doc is going to prescribe the zanaflex...I hope...as the "little book of coverage" says trzanidine/hcl...don't know what the "hcl" is?? If it's anything...

Your right Claudia...spelling out those long impossible to say names is for the birds...!!!!
    But as usual...my life has to be difficult...look up the generic...then look up the name brand...then call the doc...then wait for doc to call back..then....go get the stupid thing...AGGGGGGGGUUUGGGHH. That in its self is going to be a feat..those charly hoarse are still roaring in my calves..little own go get dressed to get them...but I gotta!
    Sigh of releif about finding the Mus rel....at least there is pain releif in sight, things could of been alot worse, and I just sit and suffer. right?
    Thank you all for coming to my rescue! I surely do appreicaite it.
    Big ole hugs!
    Kathy
  10. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have taken baclofen, 10 mg, 3 x daily
    Skelaxin
    Robaxin

I have to take the baclofen as directed, taking just one dose doesn't help. It is used a lot for muscle spasms. MS patients take it and also people with cerebal palsy. It is an anti-spasmotic (I think thats what its called) drug.

Once I start to get relief, I can taper off it.
  11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I was on SSDI, and they had Baclofen on the RX list of Meds, that they would pay for, how weird that they won't now.
    Must be one of the New changes.

I take Soma, and at first it made me sleepy, but I take a half during the day, now, and it helps me so Much.
    It's on the Not Covered list too. But I just thought I would mention it, as Soma, has been the only one that didn't make me Antsy.

The Flexril, made me feel Sluggish all the time, and didn't help with the Muscle Spasm's. Hated it, the Baclofen made me feel the same way, but not so much.

Hope you can find something that will work for you.
    You can also get help with your Med.s from the Pharmacuital Co.'s with most of the new changes, they are doing their best to help keep people on their Med.s till the new system, can get to working, (if ever grrr.)

Hug's,
    sharonk
  12. vp

vp New Member

Zanaflex, or the generic version I should say....hawever you spell it is what I take every night to reduce the tension headaches I used to have in the morning. I' like it better than flexeril, not as groggy with Zanaflex.

The HCl is added to alot of drugs to increase solubiblity and adjust the pH to make them work better for us. I learned that in my Chem. class last week.
  13. marw

marw New Member

For a mild muscle relaxant I use Valilum 5 mm.
    For hard spasms in the muscles (painful) that don't respnd to heat, I use Zanaflex. But Zanaflex leaves me pretty loosey-goosey, so I don't use it unless I have to. Usually, I break the pill in half, unless it is a very bad spell.

I can't take the others at all.

Good luck to you. Hope you find the right one for you.
    Margaret
  14. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

Is Flexaril / Zanaflex stronger than valium?? Are they even close to the same?

Anyone who knows can you please answer?
  15. ckzim

ckzim New Member

for betty...(I have never "bumped" before hope I am doing it right.) Hopefully someone can help answer her question.
  16. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I use to take flexril, it was horrible, I would sleep so hard until I'd feel like I was dieing.
    I would spend the next day feeling groggy and in a stooper like I was drunk.
    I hated it. The Dr. changed it to skelaxon it didn't make me sleepy at all and worked fine.
    A nurse told me to try magnesium , I started taking it back in sept. of 2005 , since then I've only had to take one skelaxon. Go online and read about magnesium defencentcy. Its been a God send for me.I've had Fm for 17 years. This has finally brought me releif.
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Works for me and also helps me sleep.

Love AC
  18. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

My Rheumy prescribes Flexeril for me -- for five 10mg tablets a day. I can take them through out the day - or get this... all 5 at once at night. That is actually what she prefers. Talk about getting sleep! I started with one, then a few weeks later, added another, then another.... and finally found that four at night was the right amount for me to get restorative sleep.

With the RSD, flexeril was not taking care of the muscle spasms - so in addition to the flexeril, I"m taking Baclofen 3 times a day.

You would think I would be a zombie - but I am not.

When you start out on these meds, it takes a little getting used to. Your body adjusts. Give it some time. I have taken the flexeril - 4 tabs at night - for several years now.

Now that I'm taking it with the Baclofen, I have found that I can take two flexeril at night and that's enough - so I take one during the day each time I take the baclofen.

Even taking the two meds together, I'm still having terrible spasms, and am checking into getting injections into the muscles.
  19. Lalania1970

Lalania1970 New Member

I take 2mg x 2 diazapam(valium) for the muscle relax through the day. Does not make me goofy or tired then at night Dr has me on Trazadone. Seems to work good for me and insurance does pay for it. I found out with flexiral and antitrypline(?) they made my pain worse. But from what I have experience and from support group our bodies all are different so for me it has been a chance and change game.
  20. ckzim

ckzim New Member

I did get the zanaflex, covered by insurance. So far it's done nothing much...I dont' have the charley hoarse any more in my calves that's about it. I for some reason thought it would help me sleep?? It's not doing that.
    Again thank you all, for the valuable input.
    KathyZ