Just a quick writing tip - Skip some lines :)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tgeewiz, Sep 23, 2009.

1. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

I just tried to read a post. It was 20 lines long and all 1 paragraph. Although I interested in the topic, I just couldn't focus enough to read it.

So, just a quick writing tip - if you have written for 4-5 lines and are not on a new paragraph yet, it is time to hit the enter key and skip a line.

I'm not the "language police." It's just that us tired folks have a hard enough time concentrating and this will make it easier on everyone. In addition, you will likely get more replies to your post.

Incidentally, the 20 line post above did not have any replies.

Thanks and happy writing! :)

2. Tiffanie1

Tiffanie1 New Member

Omg Thats me!!
    I am super sorry!! I get to rambling and well..ya I didnt skip any lines Dang it!!! Thanks for the kind reminder:)
  3. Straightarrow

Straightarrow New Member

Do you know how to use the edit feature? You can edit your post and break up the paragraphs and that would help us to be able to read it and offer advice.

I'm in the midst of applying for disability myself.

4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Could you explain how to use the editing feature? I tried to edit a post the other day but it broke up the entire post. Thanks, GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2009]
  5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Thanks for starting this thread.

I have the same problem with reading long paragraphs. You've given good advice!

Have a good evening.

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

This is an issue which has more to do with our cognition than it does with any existing rules of writing -- long, dense paragraphs are perfectly fine, often wonderful, but, sadly, now incomprehensible to many of us.

To make it all even more complicated, we each also have our personal quirks. I cannot easily read posts with short lines, for instance.

For me, the fewer times I have to scan to read a post the better - too much back and forth quickly brings on malaise so I avoid reading those posts (even when written by a poster who's writing I enjoy, alas) but I can see how they might be very helpful for others who have difficulty scanning long lines.

Thanks for starting this most helpful thread, Tim.

Peace out
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your help. I would have never figured this out for myself. I am printing this to keep 'cause I know I won't remember it!

This is a good subject. I have to skip some posts because my eyes won't focus and I keep reading the same line over and over when the posts are long with no paragraph breaks. GB66