Just A Reminder

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have so many new people that I thought this little reminder might be appropriate.

We have a number of very knowledgeable members here, some who are medical professionals and some who do a lot of reading and research. Their contributions are invaluable and all the combined wisdom here has made all the difference in my own treatment and healing. I am forever grateful to this website and our members for helping me.

I just want to emphasize that even the experts researching and treating our illnesses cannot make any absolute statements regarding the cause(es) or treatment(s) of these illnesses. We all react differently to different treatments, meds, and supplements. About all we can do is read, research, work with our docs, and try different things.

When we post here about what has helped us or what we have found through research, it is only our opinions and best educated guesses. It is not meant to be medical advice. Each of us needs to make our own decisions with our docs. It is fine to read all the posts, ask questions, and answer questions for which we may have opinions or experience, but we need to keep in mind that no one has absolute answers. It is good to be wary of anyone claiming to have absolute answers, because at this point, no one does, not even the experts.

Love, Mikie
  2. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hi Mikie,
    Your words of wisdom here are well said. It is the framework I adhere to when I come here. The members here have sparked ideas I would have never thought to pursue and I do appreciate the input here highly. I never do anything until I research it myself and receive consul from my sources and feel comfortable about what I am doing. We all must take personal responsibility for our treatment. This is serious business... our health ... it demands our best efforts. God bless you. Good to have you back.
    CelticLadee
  3. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

you have brought this up. I find it annoying when I read opinions disguised as statements of fact. It would be nice if we could be sure that, say, candida is a problem for all of us, or that we all have stealth infections, or that there is a genetic predispostion to these illnesses. All we can do, though is make educated guesses. Ultimately, these illnesses are largely 'black boxes'. Noone knows what causes them nor even what they "are" on the most basic level.
  4. baybe

baybe New Member

As Mikie said much of what is said is opinion. Personally, I think listening to opinions and keeping the channels open is how science is eventually made. I like to hear what is being said and how people are trying their own reasoning and skills of deduction, it helps me to seek answers and ask questions of those who are on the science end.
    My only wish is that members here don't get so upset at an opinion and just let it be or join in with their own concepts. Even an unfounded opinion opens the mind to a whole new way of looking at things. The knowledge and courage here makes us an incredible "Think Tank", just as long as we keep in mind what is fact and what is people working out the answers. Maybe we could have a Message Section just for sorting ideas and alternatives out, so it does confuse us with what we know. All learning starts with a theory , mostly based on observation. We are the best observers of ourselves. I thank you all so much for keeping the learning and research open on all levels.We are our own best advocates. Thank you
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are right; we are a big think tank and this is where a lot of our healing starts. Every once in a while, after reading someone's post, I have an "Aha Moment," and another piece of the puzzle fits together with what I have learned.

We are all brainstorming here and I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from raising any possibility. On the other hand, it is important for those new to our illnesses to realize that there are no rules or absolutes for us.

Coming here is like looking at all potential possibilities. One learns to sort through them and pick from those most likely to apply. When we are new at this, we have to start somewhere and try new things. It is disappointing when something which has worked so well for others doesn't work for us, but then we take note and move on to something else. Eventually, we have our own treatment protocol designed just for us. It all takes time, but if it weren't for this board, I would not have even known where to begin.

Love, Mikie
  6. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

and supplements that I finally just quit and refused to try anything new.

Now with the help of this board I have gradualled in several supplements like CoQ10 and B+ and have found them to be of enormous help.

I am also, thanks to the advice of PatPalmer, drinking LOTS of water. I cannot tolerate tap water but I find I can drink any amount of Dannon bottled water. My husband found some on sale and bought home DOZENS of bottles. He has been very heartened by the improvement he sees in me.

Often I start the day by saying, "It's baaack" but overall I'm lots better.

Thanks everybody,

Sandra.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Glad you have been helped by the info here. It has been a Godsend for me.

I drink Aquafina bottled water, but I really hate the plastic bottles. The clear ones are safer than the cloudy ones from what I read. I had a good water filter installed under my sink and the water tastes really good. It runs the water through two filters and then through an ultraviolet light to kill anything not filtered out.

Some time back, Shirl introduced us to her water and salt treatment. I know you drink half your body weight in ounces of water; If you weight 140 pounds, you drink at least 70 ounces of water a day. You take sea salt, but I don't remember how much. Perhaps Shirl will see this and tell us again. Many have stated they felt better after using this approach.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For the Mon. morning crew.

Love, Mikie
  9. Rocinante75

Rocinante75 New Member

Mikie, I read your response to Mrs. B. What is Co-Cure and how do I contact them and how do I get their list of physicians? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It is 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt throughout the day.

If you want to read about the 'watercure', get the book; 'You're Not Sick, You're Thirsty!' by; F. Batmanghelidj,MD, it is amazing how many of us are dehydrated and all the ills it causes.

The book is only $14.00 and worth its weight in gold. It changed my life drinking water and the sea salt. Or, get a copy from your library.

Shalom, Shirl
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Go to our Home Page and click on Doctor Referral.

Love, Mikie