JUST CAME OFF A NEW FIBRO WEB SITE AND THE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, Mar 30, 2003.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

DOCTOR THERE FIRST SUGGESTED TO TAKE BENDYRL FOR SLEEP BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING ELSE. I KNOW THIS DRUG AT 50MG WILL REALLY HELP PEOPLE SLEEP BUT HAVE NOT TRIED IT SINCE HAVE FIBRO. HAS ANYONE HERE TRIED THIS FOR SLEEP AND IF YOU HAVE WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME.?????
    SOFT AND GENTLE HUGS,JANICE
  2. Karrot

Karrot New Member

I'm pregnant so the only thing I can take to sleep is Benadryl. I was on Ambien before and was a little scared to try something so simple. I CANNOT sleep on my own. I know, I've tried. I've tried everything natural - just doesn't work. I have chronic fatigue perhaps a little bit of fibro. Point is - the Benadryl does help me sleep. And I don't get a groggy morning after either. But that is just me - find out what works for you.

Good luck,
    Karrot
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

before I started the Ambien, and yes it really does work. Only once did I have a problem with it, it worked in reverse on me and I was wide awake and "wired" all night.

Dara
  4. yayapriestess

yayapriestess New Member

I have used Benadryl off and on for years, and still take 25mgm most nites, not alone, and it sometimes helps. 50 mgm has an adverse affect and I am awake and wired all nite.
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

It is one of the safest drugs you can buy. Unfortunately, I have been using antihistamines for over 50 years, so none of them make me sleepy. It does however, work wonders on my grandson and the idiot puppy, both of whom get car sick and sleep almost all the way to our destinations. I also have a schnauzer with dermatitis and a cat with hay fever who also use it. Talk about a great, all purpose drug!
    Kathryn
  6. starstella

starstella New Member

and i have been one myself, just remember it is an antihistimine. my doc said he'd rather me use the ambien then the benadryl. if you have a dry eye problem, your benadryl might be contributing to it. the benadryl does work great dosent't it? except for the handover effect.
  7. KayL

KayL New Member

hypes me up, rather than makes me sleepy. If I took Benadryl for sleep, I'd be awake all night. That happens to me with most meds though, I react differently, or don't react at all.

Karen
  8. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

to the Benedryl, and wound up in the ER. They gave me some Vistril to counteract the effect's.
    At the time I thought they were Nut's, giving me another Allergy med when I was already having a bad reaction to another one.

Turns out the Dr. knew what he was doing, the Vistril helped me out of that bad experience, it could have even been an Anxiety attack, who know's? but the Vistril works great for Anxiety also, and it works for my Histimine Problems.
    I didn't start taking them on a regular basis till 3 years ago, and it has made a Big difference in my Life.

I know it also boot's my Pain med so that I don't have to increase the dosage. Still works after 3 years.
    I have tried the Ambien, had Weird dreams, and I had a nasty temper after trying the Halicon. Poor Hubby.

I get wired, by most sedativies, but I find that if I can't sleep, I can take a Xanax and get at least 4 hours of rest/sleep. Nothing has ever worked for me in the sleep department. I don't want to experiment now, so I stay with the Vicodin, Soma and Vistril at bedtime, and if I'm lucky I might get some sleep.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon

try the Childerns strenght first, and see if that helps. Some get by with that strength without being wired.
  9. baby-bear

baby-bear New Member

Well..here's what I did. I have always used 25 mg. of benydryl to sleep...but...THEN...when the FMS and chemical sensitivity hit, I could not sleep. So...I upped my dose to 75 mg. and I also take 2 ZMA's bought here on this sites store. I still wake up sometimes and when I do I take calcium to go back to sleep.. Its a vicious cycle for me but it works. Calcium knocks me out if I take it really late..but if I take it instead of the other then I wake up by 11 pm or 12pm and thats it. The night is ruined, so I had to juggle everything to find out what works!! Also I tried the Ambien 5 mg. and it was great at first but I started reacting to it so that ended that!! Love Pammy
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I take 50 mgs. Benadryl 2 hrs. before bed to help me wind down, and another 50 mgs. at 3 am when it wears off, so I can sleep the rest of the night. I also take .25 mg. Xanax, and 400 mgs. magnesium, and I take a high blood pressure med that calms the nervous system too (Catapres) and take a double dose or it 2 hrs. before bed. Sometimes all that isn't enough, and I have to take Phenergan too... a strong prescription antihistamine.
    Some people have paradoxical reactions to drugs, meaning they react the opposite of expected. That is what happens if Benadryl hypes you up. It may also happen with other drugs, and is a good idea to tell all new docs you've had this problem.
    I have read that Fibro pts. can take up to 300 mgs. Benadryl, but that sounds like an OD to me.
    Klutzo
  11. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Catlady,
    I also use Benedryl. I use to take only two and then I guess I built up a tolerance to it so I also take 2 tylenol PM. I have been doing this since I stopped taking the Elavil last year for sleep and gained 30 pounds. I will never take that stuff again. I relize I should watch the liver thing but still haven't gone to the doc to get checked.
    Have a great day,
    Sandy (Cass)
  12. Smokeymar

Smokeymar New Member

I have taken 100mgs of Benedryl before bedtime for several years. It helps me sleep and my legs don't "cramp" like they used to. I had a friend that was on 300mgs of Benedryl, but the 100 works fine for me.
  13. ReneeRN

ReneeRN New Member

Hi, I use several different products. Calm Forte by Hylands a homeopathic formula that I have also given to my daughter since she was young. Also Zoloft, Soma, and Ultram, sometimes I use just zoloft, but other times it takes all four when I'm stressed out and have muscle spasms and increased pain. Exercise also helps when I'm up to it. I hope this helps. I hope to get off the anti depressants when my Candida is under control. I'm also ordering Phase 1 Noni Juice which is suposed to help with pain, antifungal/antibacterial and boosts immune response.
    God be with you, ReneeRN
  14. toots2

toots2 New Member

I ciannot take benadryl but will suggest you might try trazadone. I sleep 8 hours straight without waking up. It is safe, effective and non addictive. I notice many here take it too. Just a suggestion in case the benadryl does not work for you either. I cannot take anything with an antihistamine and I think benadryl is in that category. Toots
  15. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

LORD, I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE MEDICAL FIELD TOO LONG, I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER HOW TO SPELL THIS GENERIC OF DESYRL. I HAVE TAKEN 50MG OF THIS AT NIGHT AND HAVE SLEPT PRETTY GOOD BUT IT GIVES ME A HANGOVER EFFECT. TAKES ME AWHILE TO GET AWAKE FROM THIS DRUG IN THE MORNING, BUT MAYBE I WILL TRY IT AGAIN SINCE I HAVE THE FIBRO, MAYBE IT WILL WORK BETTER NOW. THANKS AGAIN. JANICE
  16. seaview

seaview New Member

works the best for me. You can buy just the generic brand
    of the ingrediant in Benadryl( I will not try to spell it)
    I buy mine at Longs and it actually says sleep aid on the label. I take 150 to 200 mgs at about 6 pm and then take ZMA at 8 or so. I usually am asleep by 11 or so. I pay 5.99 for a bottle of 100 at 50 mgs a tablet. Cheapest of anything I have used. You will just have to see what works best for you as you can see by the other posts that everyone is different. Blessings on your search to find what helps you.....Kathleen