just curious....any artists out there? Or those who create?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, Aug 20, 2012.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I try to paint almost daily since it really takes me out of my pain. I had been working/playing in watercolors for awhile but have switched back to using oils and I feel like I've come home. I can paint for hours on end and forget myself. It's not until I'm cleaning up for the night that I start to realize I'm in pain. I guess this means this is what I'm supposed to do.
  2. sunflowergirl

I really understand about the bad back. I've been wearing today a large wide neoprene "belt" with a pocket for a frozen pack.

And how great that your art work is scattered around town. For me I find I have less pain when I'm standing.....hence.....I work in my studio. By the way.....have you tried any neoprene for your back or knees? I hurt my knees years ago....You know jogging thru the pain....bad move on my part. I wore a neoprene knee brace for almost a year. I was at joannes fabric store last week and found a small amount of printed neoprene, which I bought. Think I'm going to sew up a sleeveless vest to wear under my clothes.

I have several "novels" started but after I sit at the computer for longer than 30 min. I REALLY hurt. I'm happiest when I'm creating something....anything.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2012]
  3. sascha

sascha Member

i started using watercolors- am now working a lot with gouache water color paints. that's exactly right, that i lose i myself in the process. is so worth while. i'm slow with productivity. love it when i finish a painting, but the process itself is endlessly fascinating.

many days i'm not up to it, and of course life intrudes and i have to take care of things - but always- back to painting. what sorts of things do you do? for some time i've been focusing on birds and water around San Francisco. i'm not into 1:1 realism. it's one of my main goals in life to make progress in painting. Salome
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have been tole {Decroative Painting} and have been doing it for several years. I have been painting Welcome Bears, and dolls, and I find that it is relaxing to do.

I am so blesssed that i have some thing that helps me to get thru teh tough days.
    HUGs to you all
  5. sunflowergirl

I've used guache years ago....loved it since I could keep covering up what I didn't want. Same way with oils.....if I don't like it...paint it out.

I'm back to working/finishing a still life of flowers with some cut limes, a pomegranite, and a large abalone shell in the foreground. Think old Dutch style painting. Sky and clouds on one side, moving to heavy shadows and darkness.

I've tried my hand with abstracts. Sometimes they turn out interesting but most of the time they don't. I've got some watercolor paper called Yupo paper. It's a love/hate relationship with it. Watercolor does it's own thing on it.....it's very hard to control but it does some wonderful things. But......I have turned out some really interesting abstracts using it. If you're interested in more painting, do a search on the website for short films.....you know the one.....starts with YOU....Some people are just gifted painting abstracts.

I've promised my son I would go out looking for a gallery by Sept l5. I've set myself a goal. I've sold in a few galleries before but there's so many, many talented artists out there and the economy is bad.

Tole painting is something I could never, ever do. I'm not good at following precise directions!

I really highly recommend to anyone to find some type of artistic outlet for their pain. I don't know what I would be doing if I didn't paint.
  6. Kittyweird

Kittyweird New Member

I am a recycling artist. I have always been involved in art, but once the Fibro

became so bad that I cannot work outside my home, I have turned it into a small

business. With the help of my husband, I do Art & Craft shows. Although I am

not able to work on projects every day, the days I do work help to take me away

from my pain, as long as I remember to get up & stretch every so often. The

only good thing to come out of having Fibro is that my art has improved so much.

I do have a Facebook page for anyone who is interested in seeing what I do- Deeconstruct,

Recycled Fun.

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2012]
  7. moi482001

moi482001 Member

You are so right sunflower. I went on disability for fibro in 2000 and didn't get a diagnosis until 2002. It was then that I decided that I needed to paint. I had been painting on every surface I could find-rocks, wood, aluminum siding, walls etc. I started taking courses and have never stopped. My preferred medium is oil but enjoy mixed media which is faster with acrylic. I can spend 4 hours painting and feel I'm in my painting. When the pain digs in, I stop and really do not do a good job of cleanup. Luckily, I have a studio to keep the mess hidden away.

I believe pain disappears when we paint because the creativity required to complete a piece of art transports us to a different place. And thank god for that. It is impossible for me not to paint 2 to 3 times a week.

I give my pieces to admirers and have sold some pieces but do not enjoy that side of this hobby. I am grateful to everyone who love my paintings. I also believe that I am meant to do this and have felt like even before I go sick.
  8. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Another artist checks in.

I am a artist, I work in water colours, acrilics and mixed meda.

Some of my best work are impressionistic or abstract.

I lay out a general pattern and go crazy from there, great fun!

When I am in the zone my pain fades away, later on my back might give me grief but I love the freedom I get from losing my mind in my work.

Just love sloshing that paint on and watching something apear from nothing.

I use Yupo paper too, it takes acrilic inks very and the colours are breathtaking! Cheers Denamay
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I make Christmas ornaments from beads, shells, charms, fishing weights, broken pieces of jewelry and misc other things I find at yard sales, thrift stores and stuff people give me. Part of the fun is the "hunt" and recycling things. I'm always on the lookout for things I can re-create.

I also make window hangings from beads that I call Window Stars.

Part of my projects I give to family & friends for gifts and part of them I give away to people who need holiday decorations. I have donated things for holiday fundraisers for various animal shelters too.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

All the kind folks over on the Chit Chat Board would love to read and respond to this thread. Our Chit Chat Board is for interesting topics to help us discuss things other than our illnesses. It's nice to get away from our medical issues now and then. Everyone over there is so sweet and always welcome new members. If anyone hasn't visited on the Chit Chat Board, I welcome you to post and make some new friends.

Love, Mikie
  11. gsullivan

gsullivan New Member

I used to paint with mostly acrylic paints years ago. It got expensive and I stopped. I do poetry and thinking of putting a book of selections together. I am working on 4 crocheted baby blankets for three of my nieces one is carrying twins. I sometimes have to stop because my hands hurt. I used to play guitar but because of my hands I can't do it anymore. I spend a lot of time on my computer but that even causes a problem on occasion. I want to maintain my current skills and would welcome any suggestions.
  12. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

but my camera and I are sewn to each other. I have a Canon T3i, and if anything catches my eye, or gives me an idea, I just snap away. I love to play with light, objects and just build stuff to photograph. My animals groan inwardly when they see the camera! I also love to loom knit. I am almost finished an afghan I started on a year ago. The yarn I used comes in "colors" of different mountain ranges. I did two skeins of each, in long strips, then knitted the strips together. I'm doing the fringe now. It weighs a ton, but hey - this is Alaska! I like the looms best because I don't drop stitches. Sometimes, though, when I get really into what I am doing, I don't realize until AFTER I have finished - "OMG, I HURT everywhere!" I have sat in snowbanks, crawled under bridges, waded into rivers and walked over frozen lakes. And wondered if I had lost my mind and did Ansel Adams suffer this much to get a shot? Then, I look at them and think of how happy they make me, how I saved a little piece of beauty just for me. And I know I'll do it again!

Soft hugs,
  13. sunflowergirl

Stacy.....I also love to use my camera. I love to do still life setups.....using dramatic lighting. Anything ordinary like a cut apple, some grapes on a dish or even something dug out of vegetable bin looks wonderful with the right lighting. I keep saying I'm going to paint it. I'm especially excited when we've had a storm and there will be dramatic skies around sunset time.

I recently watched an interview with an old man, who had been a boy when Ansel Adams worked. His dad carried the equipment for Ansel so he got to go along. That must have been very exciting.

Years ago we used to have the ability to post photos here.....wonder why they took that away? I would love to see what people are doing. It's so much fun to share, especially for those who can't get out easily.
  14. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I enjoy reading everyone's creative interests. I enjoy photography, painting and gardening and cooking. Although, this darned fibro has slowed me down in these areas. I really only have energy to take care of my 11 year old son and work part time at his school. This rest of the time is spent recovering. I have recently gotten back to cooking because I know how much it helps to cook fresh foods.

I truly believe that our biological chemistry does allow us to be more creative than others. We are sensitive to nature and our environment which allows us to have a much more intuitive perspective on life. I have read that many famous artist have suffered from central nervous system issues.

So the down side is that we as artists can get overstimulated very easily. Also, I do believe that our cellular structure is more vulnerable to toxins than those who are not as intuitive. Maybe our biological make up gets overloaded and tired of trying to navigate all the stimulus at one time. Which leads to fatigue and muscle pain......