Just Curious..How Did You Name Your Children?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Jun 17, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

On Father's Day, I was sitting around the dessert table with my parents, hubby, three teenage daughters, my nephew, my sister, etc. and we started talking about names because my 23 year old nephew insists that his first daughter will be named Alice after my mother. My daughters chimed in, saying they wanted to do that too!! So my mom started to explain to them all the people in the family that were named after other relatives. One of my twin's is name after our godmothers, and my youngest's middle name is after my sister; thank God she was a girl because the twins begged me, every single day of my pregnancy, to pretty please name the baby Gaston if it was a boy!!! Her first name is because we liked it, as is the other twin's name.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about how people named their kids. Was it the meaning, biblical or otherwise, family tradition, or just plain liking a name that helped in your selection? Did you choose a very different name or something more conservative? Please post about it--it will be fun to see how people made their name selections for their children.

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Interesting idea for a post....

This might sound very silly but when I was in about 2nd or 3rd grade, a friend of mines brother had begun kindergarten and was crying so hard because he couldn't spell his name.

At that moment in time, I decided that my kids would have easy names that they could spell, but of course that I liked as well.

I still remember the kid's name and how to spell it...because we all worked so hard on the playground trying to help him out.

3. Juloo

Juloo Member

When I was pregnant, I really knew it would be a boy. I just did (the sonogram only confirmed it). My husband and I had an agreement -- if it were a boy, he would get to name it, with me having veto power. Any child coming after would be my choice of names -- intending taking turns.

We only ended up having the one son, but my husband named him the Anglicized version of my Hispanic father-in-law, but chose a different middle name. Since my husband's family is Catholic, it's pretty much a given that the name would be Biblical. But we do know that instead of being named after New Testament Joseph, my father-in-law was named after Old Testament Joseph. Also, because of the Hispanic tradition, my father-in-law would tell our son that his real surname was our last name followed by my last name (ie Garcia y Smith). We weren't actually using this nomenclature for him, but he got confused and kept going around telling everyone his real last name was my last name -- making it look like my husband wasn't his real father! (We've got that straightened out finally, thank goodness!)

Naming is really interesting. In studying genealogy, the custom in some old-world European cultures is to name the first boy after the paternal grandfather, the second boy after the maternal grandfather, the first girl after the maternal grandmother, and the second girl after the paternal grandmother. It's a nice tradition, but can make for a whole lotta Johanns, Willems, Annas, and Margarethas!

I wasn't going to do that for a girl, but we had a list of female names from both side of the family that I was going to combine.

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

so my three boys are all welsh names. Throughout our family the same male names have reigned since about 1600 and before.

5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Juloo et al -

I found out after doing genealogy aaout those German naming practices and all the Johannes or Johanns and Magdelenas ( etc. etc.)

Yes, may as you said had Johann or Johannes (John) as their first name but many times it was never used. It was like their baptismal name and the middle name was the one that was used Talk about confusing when you are trying to do geneaology and figure it all out. My husbands name is John as was his father John Frederick. JF's father 's name was Johannes (I think his middle name was Philip) but he went by John as he was now in the U.S. From there theri were also other Johanes who I think used their names Jacob and August. The girls were not to bad but Magdelena used Lena , Margret or Martha in other census'.

On my mother's side in CZ. there were lots of Annas .She came to the US as a child being orphaned and was called Anna and later Ann. Ruzena (Rose) was my mom's sister's name as well as her mother. Her father was (Jan) meaning JOhn.

Well I was named Marilyn (Der of Mary) we are also Catholic Rose after my aunt and grandmother. Never knew my grandmother as she had died very young ss is her husband in WWI.

My children are Lori Ann - I had a friend named Laurie and I loved it and thought I was being very unsual with the spelling. Hoewever come to find out I wasn't really. Ann was after my mom.

Karen - I just liked the name with the middle name shortened from Elizabeth to Beth. We have a long surname and so wanted to make it easy for the kids.

Susan - I just liked the name with the middle name Marie ( form of Mary) that I thought went sell with the first name.

Lynne Marie - was sort of a mixture of my name with Marie as the middle (der of Mary).

Bet you cana't guess the name of our son - John of course and Charles as he middle which was my father's and brother's name..

My son and his DW are trying to get pregnant without to much success. However, I think he said he will break the tradition of another John (-: !!

Yes, this is all very interesting but nowadays I am not sure how people are naming their chidren. Our eldest has twin boys Carson Josef (the Josef is the CZ spelling) and Ethan but I cannot believe aI cannot remember his middle name. Their only daughter and our oldy grndaugther out of 8 GK is MEEGEN - not very traditional at all with middle name Lynne like my other daughter. MEEGEN's name will be mispelled and misopronouced all of her life(-: !!

Our other garndsons are Daniel John - for each grandfather.
    Corey Christian, Jacob Leonard . Jacob is biblical and very popular at this time I think. Leonard was after his dad's uncle.

Other GK's names were Zachary Evan.. Zachary Evan. The first is biblical but not sure tht is why they picked it esp the dad. And another GS is Dylan Jay. I think they just liked the name Dylan at the time and Jay is his dad's middle name I think.

So sorry so long !! To many kids and grandkids.

YES IT IS ALL VERY INTERESTING. Keep on posting everyone.

Hugs and blessings,

6. sisland

sisland New Member

Great Post! My Mom's Name was Alice Marie!,,,,so i named my first Girl 'Tanya' Pronounced (Tawnya) Marie,,,,,Middle girl got her Very own Name,,,,,,lolol,,,Janell Christine,,,,,,,,,,,Youngest, Kymberlie Jean ,,,,Her middle name is after my Aunt Jean,,,,,,,,

I Had boys names picked out for all 3,,,,#1,,,Joesph Marshall,,,#2,,,Lucas Kyle,,,,#3 Luke Austin,,,,,,I'm hopeing for a Grandson,,,,,,someday,,,,,,,so i guess we just named them after Family members,,,,

Although the Boy's names were all my planning,,,,,,,I think it's Neat to have Traditions Honored with Names,,,,Biblical or otherwise ,,,i've always love the name Grace,,,,,,,Glad you got to spend time with your Gals!.,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My brother's first and middle names are Barry Brooks. He got that name because at the same time he was born, Eve Arden (whose most famous role was "Our Miss Brooks") had a boy and named him Barry.

My mother read about it in a movie magazine, and that's the story. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say, that's the legend.

Couple years ago I read Eve Arden's biography. There's not a word of truth in the family legend.

Eve married an actor named Brooks West. (You can see both of them in the movie Anatomy of a Murder.) The couple adopted a boy and named him Douglas Brooks West. No "Barry" involved.

So far as I know, my mother never read a movie magazine in her life.

Aside: What are the odds Our Miss Brooks would marry a man named Brooks?

8. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

But I know I was named after Hawaiian surfer at the last second.

My girlfriend has 4 aunts ALL of their names begin with the letter "M" (the grandmothers name begins with M as well). So including her mother that's 6 women that have names starting with "M". The fact that they all look pretty much the same doesn't help matters much either(half japanese half caucasian). They are all married and they all have children except for one couple. I'm in luck with the husbands though... there's two John's, Dan, Micheal, and Peter.

oh the sisters have a brother too... greg...(random!)
  9. painterZ

painterZ New Member

my ex and I adopted a baby girl who, at the time was detoxing from heroin, crack, cocaine and alcohol. She was also HIV+, which she is no longer since the meds they used allowed her to seroconvert at about four months old.

Her first name is Zoe...it means "Life" in Greek. We're not Greek but that little baby needed all the help she could get. I liked it too because "back in the day" it was unusual...not anymore...but she's still my "life" and I have her name tattooed on my ankle (which by the way she hates) :)

They're all precious no matter what their names are or how they got them. Sooo greatful they're here!!

10. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Jed, Troy & Lee. No Connotations, We just liked those names.
    For a girl I had picked out "Jessica Marie" but NO girls were in the cards.
  11. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

I names my kids either after family or for biblical reasons.
  12. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

My older sis was in nursing school with a girl named Jennifer. I just loved that name and decided then and there if I ever had a daughter (i was only 12 @ the time!)that would be her name. Next daughter was named Amy Elizabeth,(My mom's name is Elizabeth) I just really liked that name as well. Baby daughter is named Kristen Louise. Middle name came to mind due to a trip to Lake Louise, Canada. It was so pretty, it just seemed appropriate!
  13. greygodess

greygodess New Member

The sons names are Jake, Joshua, Luke, and Seth. All biblical but didn't really start that way. The grandkids are Malia, Kiana, Kylie, Abigail, MacKenzie(boy), and Delaney. MacKenzie is my mil's maiden name. I had wanted to name one of the boys Caleb but I got alot of flack so I backed down. Godbless
  14. findmind

findmind New Member

One daughter was named Blanca Rose, cuz she was sooooo white, and I love roses!

Second dau. named after a woman who was a 2nd mother to me during my teen/early adult years, with the middle name of her Paternal grandmother.

My grdau is named after both me and my husband.

My grson has his father's name, the first of which is the name my brother and father have as their middle names.

Most of my family have named their children very traditional Southern names.

15. jmq

jmq New Member

daughter was adopted and I knew she would be my one and only so it was so hard to pick a name. I had a name finally picked out and then my Mom passed away. Well, that was it...she was named after her.

My mom however picked my brothers and my name from a nursury rhyme...Jack and Jill. Yes she did!

16. poets

poets Member

I named my son Adam after my cousin who is like a brother to me. I liked the name really well. My daughter is named Angela, which means "angelic" and as far as I know she's the only person in the family who has that name. (It was the perfect choice.) I'd always liked it.

17. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

my parents named the 5 of us with names beginning with the letter J. Apparently sticking with a same-first-initial theme was pretty popular in the 1950's and 60's because I've met some others who grew up with similar all-S or all-T or all-some-other-letter siblings. I hated it.

We named our daughter a name that we both just liked and agreed on. But our son was more difficult. The tradition in my DH's family (Scottish descent) is to give the boys Scottish names. That was hard because I didn't really care for a lot of the Scottish names we found -- but we settled on Ross which is a little unusual but not outlandish.

18. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Interesting to read about all the naming theories!

My 3 sisters and I all have sort of unique names, just not very common...not weird or anything. No family names were passed on to us.

I named my daughter after a character in a book that I had read several yrs before she was born. It's very unique, but short and simple. I don't want to share it cuz I have a thing about not wanting anyone else to use it! Her middle name is Louise after my mom.

My son's name is Dylan James...Dylan cuz I just always liked it ( dh says it's after Dylan Thomas, I say Bob Dylan..LOL ). James is after my dh.

One of my sisters used my dad's name as a middle name for her son, the other son has my BIL's name for his middle name.

My sister's name is Jill, she hated it cuz of the nursery rhyme and was teased. My parents also named her kind of weird, her name is Pamela Jill, but has always been called Jill. It has caused all kinds of mix ups all her life. People call and ask for Pamela all the time! My mom also has always gone by her middle name, I don't know why people do that.

My dh is a James Jr. which I hate cuz he gets mixed up with his father (mail etc.) who is not close to him.

My father didn't have a middle name at all!
  19. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

hermitlady - our sons have the same name! My oldest however was named after my brother who I adore!
    Funny how you don't want to share your daughter's name..like people don't call her by it..can't be a secret. Just made me laugh, in a cute way. =)
  20. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed reading all the responses and waited awhile to respond myself. Thanks to everyone!!

It's so funny how very much we all have in common name-wise. Sis, I think it's so funny that your mom's name is Alice too. And a cat named Lucky (re other post). How about that!!

Granni, we have so many names in common, it's not even funny--my daughters are Elizabeth Marie, Jennifer Lynn, and Marissa Susan (named for my sister Sue). And Jam, my Jennifer, spelled the traditional way, always gets J-E-N-N-I-F-F-E-R. I honestly don't know where people get the extra 'F' from!

Kina, it's so funny, I had toyed with Lisa Marie for My Elizabeth, but also decided it was too 'Elvis'. And you selected Jennifer, my other daughter's name. How about that!!

My hubby's Italian family followed the tradition of naming the kids after the grandparents, so half the people in his family are either Vincent, Michael, or Maria. When I first met him, his cut-up of a cousin (named Michael) was making me laugh at a family gathering where he would just occasionally yell, "Hey, Michael" just to see how many people would turn around!! Meeting all of them reminded me of that scene in 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' when the father is introducing his family, "This is Diane, Nick, Nikki, Diane, Nick.."

This was a fun post!! Hopefully we'll get even more replies!!