Just curious how many have tried this? And did it work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dooker, Nov 23, 2006.

1. dooker

dooker New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have only made a few posts to this board, and reading it has really opened my eyes. I once believed that chemical exposure was the only cause of CFS, but I can see now that there appear to be other causes. I was self-diagnosed with CFS - had many of the symptoms - and found that eliminating chemicals from my life and discovering what foods I was allergic to significantly reduced most of my symptoms. Maybe I never had CFS to start with, I'm not sure.

I am just wondering who else tried this, and if it made any difference for them? By eliminating chemicals, I mean:

1) Avoid processed foods, sugar, alcohol, salt, coffee from my diet, and eat more organic foods.
    2) Complete and total avoidance of almost all chemicals, including cleaners, fragrance soaps, shampoos, fabric softeners, new plastics, new vehicles, formaldehyde.
    3) Avoidance of most stores and malls (when possible)
    4) Removal of carpeting in the home, and using the best furnace filters available.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
    Mike
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Do a search on her "My Road to Remission". She did a "chemical cleansing" and a total food change. She has improved remarkably.

Good luck in your search. Just keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for another, so if something isn't helpful...keep searching.

God Bless...and happy Thanksgiving!

PS: It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile. Just as you want to get to know us, we want to get to know you, and that's a good way to start.

GB
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I have to do these things to feel okay. If I eat just a smidgen of the wrong thing, I know it right away. We are all over-stressed and over-toxified, so anything that cleans you up is very helpful. I don't have carpets since I'm in a warm climate. And I don't go to malls because I can't walk that far, yet. Once I went to the airport to get something when I thought I was feeling okay and got stuck way inside and had to be carried out! karen
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mike:

I do not doubt your claims, but there is someone on this message board (can't think of the name yet) who claims that exposure to Gulf War Syndrome caused many of her symptoms.

For whatever reason, I seem to believe her. I have done some research and I would not rule it out.

I would do some more searching before making any changes right away.

And...do not take my advice: it is only food for thought!

nyrofan
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Recent research has turned up several mutated genes in PWC. This suggests that we are genetically prone to these illnesses and that any number of triggers can set them off. A person can recover from these triggers only to get sick again down the road when one or more other triggers set things off. Common triggers are toxins, pathogens which cause chronic infections, stress, trauma, and even childbirth.

I am the one who believes that I have GWI which, I think, is the same thing as CFIDS. There is a common pathogen with a high rate of infection in both groups--mycoplasmas. I got sick Dec. 24, 1990 while living next door to a military facility where soldiers were receiving vaccinations prior to deployment to the first Gulf War. I believe a soldier with an active mycoplasma infection made me sick out in the dense holiday shopping crowds. I was very sick and left crippled for months. I eventually recovered but was never the same. My health continued to go downhill. My own mycoplasma infection was active when I saw the doc and it showed up in a blood test. I was not adequately treated and the infection went chronic in my body.

The good news is that I found Dr. Nicolson's website on GWI and mycoplasma infections. I followed his protocol and it took 2 1/2 years but the infection is basically under control. Like with Lyme, mycoplasmas plant cysts deep in the body and they can reactivate if one gets sick or injured. I keep Doxycycline on hand all the time.

In retrospect, I can look back into early childhood and see omens of things to come. I overcame a lot of triggering events but as we get older, it becomes more difficult to recover. My Mom had FMS, I have FMS and CFIDS (or GWI), and both my daughters have FMS and other accompanying conditions. I do believe it is genetic.

I'm glad what you are doing is working for you. Try to reduce stress in your life and keep your immune system as healthy as you can. Look at your family to see whether there are others who suffer from immune conditions.

Love, Mikie
  6. dooker

dooker New Member

Thanks to everyone that replied! I really do appreciate the feedback, and feel very lucky that I've found a way to feel better, and wish the same for everybody here.
    Mike
  7. millennia

millennia New Member

Welcome to the board. I don't have the willpower or the resources to try those things. I'd rather eat sugar and be sick, than live a long healthy life without it. I think that shows just how addictive a substance it is. I need to go to SA, Sugar anonymous.

Just a quick tip from an old timer, if you put a more detailed subject, you get more responses. Something along the lines of, "Anyone try eliminating toxic substances?" or something like that, might get you twice as many responses.

We're all so tired and/or in so much pain, we often don't bother reading something if we don't know that it applies to us.