Just Curious

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Feb 4, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Is anyone else senstive, annoyed or nervous when someone:

Taps their foot
    Taps fingers on table
    Pops chewing gum
    Chews food with mouth open
    Whistles songs
    Sings to self (including humming)

Please feel to name any other habits that bother you...

Just wondering if I am the only one who goes off the deep end.

2. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am so sensitive to noise of any kind. I do the same with phone ringer Dianna.

Also, to go in a store and hear this child cry the entire time that I am there...or worse yet....is the child that is yelling at his mom the entire time.

I want to walk up and say..who is the parent here?

I will say one thing that just SO irritates me these days...it is to see my daughter-in-law twirl her hair at ends!! It drives me nuts!!

Am I just being an old grouch?
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

does. Also my husband tends to take a year to get to the point when he tells you anything. I want to jump out of my skin when he's doing a business call on the phone and doesn't get to the point and does all that hummm and hmmm and uh stuff!! I feel bad for the person on the other end! I can't take any kind of loud confrontations between people including my husband and myself. I also HATE bright light first thin in the morning or most any time. would live by candle light if I could.
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'm neurotic about it. I can't stand noises! Chewing is a big one. But anything loud or sudden or just there sometimes. The clicking of our motion detector drives me nuts. Blenders, vaccuums, toilets undo me. It's tuff with my kids because their noises can really trigger me. ANy tips on that?
    Sofia
  5. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I am the same way. When I got sick I stopped talking because I could not even stand the sound of my own voice. The sensitivity got better over time, but now that I am in a major relapse, noises bother me again. Having a boy in the house however means I am bombarded with an assortment of noises I would like to avoid. I think it is sometimes hard for others to understand.
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

to all the above and loud noises plus smells
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Wow....am I ever. My husband taps on the table in Restaurants,while waiting on our food. He whistles constantly. Kids screaming in the store,it enough to drive anyone crazy.
    Shirley
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Somehow I am getting a huge laugh out of these posts. I can just imagine MamaR's face when her DIL is twirling her hair!!

Or the look on livnlife's face when she wants to jump out of the car, too funny.

Bambi, my husband also takes forever to get to the point. He is from Japan and in their language, the "subject" is usually at the very last of the sentence or something like that. Anyway, same here, he will go on and on and you have no idea what he is talking about. I can't stand it and usually have to say, "get to the point".

I also cannot stand bright lights anytime. Before I had blinds installed, I could never go in my living room during the day.

Maybe I do sound like a grouch, but I can't help it. I have to add some more here.

When we are in a restaurant and people allow their kids to really act up. I mean yelling, screaming, throwing food all over. Then they get up and leave a huge mess all over the floor to be cleaned up. We see other families where the kids (even toddlers) are quiet and well behaved.

I am sorry if I am offending anyone here with kids, I know it is just part of life - I wish I could not notice.

9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Don't you ever tell your husband to knock it off? ha ha!
  10. lease79

lease79 New Member

Yes, drives me utterly bonkers. Having 4 children I can zone out to a certain degree, but alot of the time just a single noise like tapping, or humming will send me nuts!!
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Once I was in Nordstroms and they had a free gum ball machine for a sales promotion. This lady allowed her 5 yr old son to keep turning the knob for gumballs until they were spilling out all over the floor. I watched and watched.

She knew and just let it go on. The salespeople were too afraid to say something.

Finally, I went up and told the little boy to stop it. She came up and I told her to make him stop, that people were going to trip on the gumballs. She started screaming at me in a language I could not identify. I just walked away.
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have the same problem with my husband. He is from Japan and I think it is normal for the subject to always be at the end of their sentences.

I listen and finally say "get to the point"!!!!! I just can't handle it. He knows it is very irritating and is so good natured he laughs.

Maybe if I was a normal person none of these things would bother me.

As for me, I try to be very aware of my own habits that might upset others. I certainly don't think I am perfect, my worst bad habit is not listening and interrupting others.

(I have worked hard to change that).
  13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

SEE THE OLD "I LOVE LUCY" show. Rock Hudson was the guest.
  14. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

Whistling husband does this - I hate it! I think that I should like someone to be happy and whistling but I cant help it. It gets to me. If I ask he will stop and then he must forget cause he starts doing it again.

Kids out of control and the parents letting them walk all over them screaming and asking for candy.

Tvs too loud, even when its to soft and I cant hear it , that bothers me,

When my husband and I go some place he always drives, when he drives he slams the car into gear really hard and the clutch and just over all drives it really hard and it drives me nuts. Plus he will say that he DOESNT do it when he knows he does.

ok LOL i will stop now.

15. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I used to blame those giant irritations from noise on PMS .. but since it happens almost EVERY day I guess I can shift the blame to FM and tag along problems now ? haha
    I used to feel bad that it bothered me so much .. guilty that I had to SAY something to make certain noises STOP !
    Now I might even get my hubby to read this .. it ties in with the some times horrendous startle reflex I have (I read that is an MVP proble) my husband or son would SUDDENLY appear out of no where .. yes, I did NOT here you come up the stairs AGAIN .. I would be on the ceiling !YIKES !!
    Thanks you guys !
    Fudge : )
  16. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

your right about the kids, if mine ever showed me up in a restuarant i would jump up and down on their heads!!

manners cost nothing and at the table i expect good manners from every body. i even knock my husbands elbows out from underneath his chin at the table.

no even in macdonalds i would expect good kids!
  17. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

and then some!

Funny thing is, i use to love to hear my phone ring, knowing someone wants me! Well i don't like talking on the phone anymore really, it's better when i don't get calls , i really only want the phone for emergencies or 411, when i want to call a store or something. If i call any family, i quickly want to get off the phone, but they don't know that, i fell i would be rude to let them know, so i just let them say what they need to, and to make sure their doing fine, then i just want to go.

I use to be so sociable, i still am time to time. It's weird how i change around, i'm strange i suppose.

luv, saph
  18. MamaR

MamaR New Member

to Dianna on the t.v. commercials.

Unless it is the little green insurance lizard (geco??can't spell it).....I just love him....he is so cute.
    My hubby said that I spent too many years with the preschoolers!!! Oh well, it's still cute.

And when I saw the PMS story from Fudge....I thought... MMMM....
    it's a wonder one of the guys hadn't chimed in on that one!

19. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I can't handle exessive stimulation of any kind. Loud noises, bright light, smells.

The light thing has become a family joke.... one day I finally realized that my mood takes a huge dip when I'm in direct sunlight. I seriously get CRABBY. Now my family kindly offers their sunglasses whenever they see I've forgotten mine.

Humming and singing doesn't bother me at all though, probably because I do it constantly myself. It's that whole "song on an endless loop in my brain" thing.

When doctors DX us they should hand us a Fibro Survival kit that includes sunglasses, earplugs, noseplugs, and full-body armor to prevent painful touching.
  20. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I sure agree with a fibro survival kit. Maybe someone here could make and sell them, lol.

So funny.