just diagnosed and concerned...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ivey, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Ivey

Ivey New Member

Hi everyone. I had an appointment yesterday with a rheumatologist who diagnosed Fibromyalgia with an associated movement disorder. She put me on 10mg of amitriptyline at night and alprazolam (xanax) if the jerking should start up again. She wants me in water PT 3x a week for 3 months and is hopeful that within a year I should be feeling better. My "problem" is that I don't like the idea of taking anxiety and depression medication for what I've been told is "not in my head." I don't understand why I would be given meds for anxiety? Also, has anyone else done this kind of PT and has it helped them? Any response would be really, really appreciated as I am so confused! Thanks in advance! Ivey
  2. wle

wle New Member

My dr did not put me on PT but due to the fact that we have a pool at home and I told her that I excersied in it several times a week she did suggest in addition to the excersies I already do that I should just "walk" in the water as well. I find being in the water so relaxing. It really puts me in a better frame of mind.
  3. Dadto3

Dadto3 New Member

I don't think you shoulkd be tooo over concerned about taking the meds because fm has to do with the neurotransmitters in your head so it might help. I am on meds personally but the problems I face is my fm seems to affect my moods now and my sensitivity to noise and some other things. Just try to keep an open mind about it and remember that just because you have fm doesn't mean that what works for me or someone else will work the same for you............
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

for both CFS and FMS. It's supposed to help with sleep. I was on Nortriptyline for awhile (same family) and it didn't do squat for me.

Another thing that seems to work well is Klonopin, which is a seizure medication. Dr. Cheney thinks our brains are in a constant mild seizure state which can eventaully cause brain damage.

I don't think you need to be concerned too much about the meds. But you may want to call your doc and ask why he prescribed the meds, and give you an explanation you can understand.
  5. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

Hi Ivey,

I take antidepressants for FM pain and sleep ploblems. I also take them because the 8 years of living with this dd can really reek havoc on you emotionally.

I also agree that you should have an open mind and you'll also find that a high percentage of FM suffers take AD.

Would you please explain what associated movement disorder is? I've never heard of it before.

Rachel