Just diagnosed - looking for tips - Candida?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hi there,

I was finally diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with FMS, Chronic Myofascial Pain, and Reactive Hypoglycemia. I've had the symptoms for about 15 years. I can relate so much to everyone's frustration with getting Docs to listen and family to believe. I gave up on Docs too until this year when I swore I couldn't stay this way.

I'm ready to start fighting this. I'm wondering what treatments you have found successful (massage, Chiropractic, etc.). I'm also looking for better ways to make life easier (household chores, shopping, etc.). I did give up cute shoes this year and after many pairs of shoes have found 2 pair that I can wear. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my purse. Would a backpack be less painful? I pretty much shut down by around 2 or 3 in the afternoon but my family needs me to keep going. I have an intense need to take a nap at that time but I've read that naps can make my night sleep worse. ANY tips for simplifying the day to day would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also curious about Candida. What test rules that out. Has anyone read anything about the relationship between the mercury in dental fillings and Candida?

Thank you for being here.

[This Message was Edited on 02/04/2006]
  2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I hope you feel better real soon! A fanny pack might be a good solution to carrying a purse. It is easier on the body because it is worn around the waist and is easily accessible. I get sleepy in the afternoon too, sometimes there is no avoiding taking a nap.
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but if you need a nap you should take one. A little light nap, even an hours sleep will rejuvenate you.

As for it affecting your sleep at night, you will probably find that you dont sleep well anyway, nap or not.

I always nap when I need to, I really have no choice and I do feel better afterwards.

love
    Rosie
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hi Prickles!
    I just read your profile and noticed your struggle with sinusitis. I've had that struggle too and have had surgery for deviated septum (hoping to relieve the pain). My frustration was that I rarely showed a serious sinis infection but I felt the pain and I have a great deal of trouble breathing through my right nostril. The intense face pain episodes started in 1990, a few months after being in a serious car accident. I thought I had a brain tumor. The episodes come in 4 to 8 week intervals and are completely dibilitating. I've had CT scans MRI's and EEG's - all normal. I've also had normal X-rays of my spine. I've also been to the ER more times than I'd like to admit. And I was hospitalized during my last pregnancy but they couldn't find anything wrong with me so after 5 days they sent me home. My CFS started that year as well. I remember sleeping 2-3 hours every afternoon. I've been to so many doctors that I've lost faith in them. Interestingly, I graduated from a medical university and never got the help I needed. It feels soooo good to hear people relate to my struggle. I have always felt alone in this. You begin to think you are a hypochondriac and this is all in your head. Especially since I've also struggled with depression and anxiety. I've been told I needed to pray more, have a better attitude, I'm sure you've heard it. Let me tell you, nothing is much more destructive to one's spiritual life than to be told that their pain would go away if they just prayed more or gave it all to God. After all the prayer and giving it up the pain remains and I no longer believe it's because God is withholding His mercy or blessing from me.

Wow! I rambled a lot more than I intended. I obviously have a lot to say.

Thank you for understanding.
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

it truly is a great feeling to have a name to go with the terrible symptoms you've been feeling. I have been diagnosed with FMS/CFIDS for 8 years or so. When I was first diagnosed I felt like you, ready to take charge and start feeling better. I think you have to go through the stages of grief with this illness..I can't remember what they all are right now, but some of them are denial, anger, acceptance. It took me many years to get to the stage of acceptance. I now have peace even though I am not healed yet.

The one thing that I have found is that you have to experiment. What helps one person, doesn't necessarily help another

For instance, lots of people have benefited from Acupuncture...it sent me through the roof and I tried it twice with different doctors. I've tried lots of different prescription drugs and supplements, exercise, water therapy, massage, biofeedback, and other things I can't remember now.

What seems to help me the most is...lots of rest..don't push myself if I can avoid it even on good days, walk a little when I can, mild stretches, avoid stress, 5HTP and Magnesium help with sleep.

I have lots of fillings in my teeth and I was diagnosed with Candida. I saw a nutritionist for treatment, but you can find information on web. I can't remember the website (can't remember a lot of things these days haha), but the site has a questionnaire that you take to determine if you have Candidiasis. I went on a special diet for 4 months and it helped a little with my symptoms at first. I still avoid sugar, white flour and processed foods, alcohol and caffeine.

Take care of yourself and I wish you peace and wellness. This is a great place to come for support and information.

Blessings, Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2006]
  6. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

Oh my gosh I could relate to so much you had to say.

I also had surgery last year (related to my sleep apnea) called uvulapharyngoplasty. It was 5 procedures, they removed my tonsils, my uvula (the thing that hangs in the back of your throat), shortened my palate, shaved off part of my tongue (in the back), and corrected my deviated septum, I know really gross.

This has been such an uphill battle for me, when I found this site it was such a relief, really good people here.

I was diagnosed with Fibro/CFIDS in October/November, and have been struggling for years.

Now what my Drs are focusing on are my hormones and also any infectious diseases. I haven't had any of the labs done yet hopefully I'll get some answers.

Anyway, welcome, glad to meet you!!!
    And as your name says, yes there is always hope!!!
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thanks for the input on the grieving process. I actually have a friend who is a grief counselor so I will ask her about the different steps of the process. I am also seeing a therapist now who is in constant communication with my doc so that should help as well.

I think you are right. I have had emotions all over the place and grief has definately been one of them. It's strange because I've been living with this for 15+ years but now that I've been diagnosed I have all kinds of emotions.

It's a relief to finally name the invisible monster I've been fighting but it's depressing to know I'll never stop fighting it. It's like I have to mourn the life I'd hoped to have and accept the life I'm living.

Thank God I have the best husband. He's been with me long enough that when the diagnosis came he agreed with it right away. He is so supportive and helpful but even he can't really understand.

It's so good to know there are others like me out there.

Thank you,
    Sofia
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

9. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Full spectrum lighting has, along w/ the adrenal/combo glandulars I take has cured me of 20 yrs of severe SAD, without meds.

The light lamp works on the pineal gland to suppress inappropriate daytime melatonin which we tend to overproduce in the day and underproduce at night when we should. I do a session w/in the hour I wake up, and then another at 3:00-4:30 afternoon, whenever I feel the heavy fatigue coming back. Works like a charm and perks me right up again, every time too.

Jeanne
  11. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thank you for the Candida info. I have the strong feeling that it's a big part of my problem. I'm going to look into it this week.

I have also noticed that spending some time outside is healing. My husband and I will sit by our firepit in the backyard in the evening and it always calms me.

I have noticed that my symptoms have worsened over the years but I thought FMS was not supposed to be degenerative. Maybe this could be the Candida. Maybe it's just because it went undiagnosed for so long so I wasn't treating it.

Sofia
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You don't seem to suffer from depression, so you are fine. And I havent' heard you complain of excessive afternoon fatigue, so again probably fine. But up north here, I can go outside every chance I get, which I was, but it only helped a bit. Still 20 yrs of slowly sliding into depression every season, there just isn't enough sun, day's too short and it's too high. So the light is the remedy for it, and a great one too.

I've heard lightlamps can be used for sleep disorders too, even in the absence of depression, since they can affect ones circadian rhythm. Mine is a better too, I don't need as much sleep, as in I'm not a slug all winter needing to sleep 11 hrs a day and still being exhausted. And I wake up earlier and get to sleep earlier too, getting less sleep, but feeling much more energitic for it.

jeanne