Just diagnosed today..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pauliana, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Pauliana

Pauliana New Member

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting. After several years
    of aches,lots of tenderness,pain,stiffness,lack of sleep, IBS,acid reflux, low blood pressure, you know all the miseries, I finally got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by my new Doctor..I've been to many doctors for these many symptoms, but none would say Fibromyalgia until this morning.

He told me he wants me to walk, take a yoga class and
    see him in a month.. He gave me a prescription for
    the acid reflux but that was it. He says the pain won't go away but exercize will improve many of my symptoms..Am I on
    the right track here??

Thanks for any guidance you can provide..

Pauliana

2. prsonlfailur

prsonlfailur New Member

i'd say get a new doc.

i was just diagnosed yesterday. he encouraged me to keep walking, gave me flexeril for sleeping, wellbutrin, ultracet for the pain. when i told him i'd gotten my first migraine last week, he gave me medicine for that, too. he also gave me a pressure point injection.

can't say i feel like i used to, but i do feel better already.
  3. 2girls

2girls New Member

Hi Pauliana - Welcome!

My doc said the same thing - exercise, which by the way, I and many others were no stranger to prior to FM. Yes exercise is good and can help eleviate some of the pain but the key here is moderation. Personally, the only exercise that is helpful for me is walking (aside from the regular housecleaning, gardening, etc). Stretching is also good.
    You need to find something to help you sleep - either natural supplements or rx.
    There is some excellent information right here on this board. We are all learning what works best for us as individuals and sharing the wealth..
    Hoping you find what works for you,

2girls
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi Pauliana--and Welcome to the Board! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I, too know, in a sense it can be a relief to be able to name your enemy.

This is just my opinion, mind you, but I believe you should find a Doctor who is more aggressive in his treatment, and especially initially able to schedule more appointments, sooner.

I see a D.O. who specializes in Fibro, CFS, and MCS. He uses conventional meds (prescriptions) and vitamins, supplements, and various alternative treatments. I have both Fibro and CFS. My initial appointment lasted 1 1/2 hrs. We addressed a multitude of symptoms, set up for testing, etc.

As you know the symptoms are wide ranging, and each needs to be addressed. My Doctor, addressed the sleep issues with
    supplements and prescription meds, set me up for stool testing (for the IBS symptoms) checking for Candida overgrowth, and parasites (also given meds and supplements for IBS), addressed the pain issues with meds and supplements, addressed and prescribed meds and sups for blood pressure. Discussed diet and lifestyle changes. I was seen in two weeks to see whether meds, vitamins, and supplements were making progress. At that time some were discontinued, and alternatives put in place.

In FMS there are so many body systems and functions down. Each one needs to be addressed, and an individual treatment protocol worked out. I have been seeing my Doc for eight months now, and we have repaired many of the downed systems. I can always schedule an appointment in a weeks time, and if an emergency, right away. He has even phoned me. This takes a physician willing and able to take the time, and effort required to tackle these disorders aggressively.

In my opinion, you are not getting a fair shake, and deserve someone who is willing to work harder and reach farther. These disorders can be improved, and progress can be made.

Best wishes,
    LL
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad you have found our board, but sorry to hear you have this illness.

For Pauliana...............
    As for that exercise, do be careful, most of us cannot handle strenuous types of exercise. I walk, and use a Nordic Track for five minutes a day.

Also do as much gardening as I can, and all of us do our housework, which is also helpful.

As for as the meds, the less you can deal with to me, the better off you are!

I take mainly supplements for Fibro, I have had this for over 20 years and have been on the meds merry go round for a longtime, finally quit them and tried the natural way. Most of them I am allergic anyway, not to mention some of the side effects.

Please read all that you can about FM, and you will be able to make some informed decisions for yourself.
    It does sound like you have a doctor that will work with you, which is about the most we can hope for at this time. No one has all the answers concerning Fibro or CFS!

Some of us do well on meds, others don't. That will be up to you and your doctor.

Again welcome to the board!

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 03/28/2003]