Just diagnosed with cancer...should I start doxy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hello all

I have been lurking for quite a while, hello to all of you. I have CFS/Fibro and was just diagnosed with an aggressive cancer Monday. I have tried some antibiotic therapy in the past for the weakness and fatigue with promising results. Both Zithromax and Cipro produced about two weeks of clear benefit, then a moderate amount of Herx. My question is: is now a good time to start doxy? I understand that it is bacteriostatic and not bacteriocidal, therefore I wouldn't expect a herx reaction. My surgery and chemo will be soon - is this too much at once? What can I expect in the few weeks after starting doxy? Thanks for any input. Diane
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I'm just bumping this up to the top for you till someone can give you some advice. I know there are others here on doxy or who have at least tried it, so they might be able to help. I haven't tried it but it sounds like you're body will be going through enough from the chemo and surgery, so personally I wouldn't start anything new.

I wish you the best of luck and the least amount of pain and suffering. I'm sorry about your new diagnosis, as with the CFS/Fibro, everything just gets so much worse and harder to deal with.

Good Luck ~LISA
  3. dd

dd New Member

I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I don't have any suggestions but I will add you to my prayer list. I am so sorry about your new diagnosis.

I am sure there are others that will come along shortly with some answers.

Peace,

Debbie
  4. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Thanks for your replies to my question. My doctor who treats me for CFS thinks that the doxy may help keep lyme &/or mycoplasma under control while my immune system is depressed by the chemo. It makes sense to me, but as most of you know, starting ANYTHING is difficult. I mainly want to know what kinds of symptoms people have had when they start it. I would need to start right away since my surgery will be as soon as possible. To those who have used it, did you start at the top dose or ease into it with a lower dose?? Thanks , Diane
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I would consult with the oncologist and go with his or her suggestion. IMHO, keeping in mind that I have no medical training, I would think that keeping infections under control while the immune system is depressed could only help. There are major dieoffs with the Doxy even though it doesn't directly kill bacteria and thus, Herx effects.

You are in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  6. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I do not have any advice for you but I thought I would bump this for you. I am sorry to learn of your diagnosis. I will say a prayer for you and pray that the cancer is healed quickly.

Welcome to the board. ..Sherry
  7. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I'm not sure I understand why there would be herxing with doxy. Maybe because the immune system can kick in and do some killing of its own???

Anyway, I haven't technically been diagnosed with Lyme, but my CFIDS doctor tried a therapeutic trial of antibiotics to see if it would help with my severe weakness. I felt great for two weeks, then had a crash and felt just as bad again for a while. WHile I never attained the official CDC diagnosis, I had more bands show up on the Western blot (I think that's what it was) after initial treatment, and after more extensive treatment, all the bands disappeared. She just re-tested me for Lyme and mycoplasma, although I certainly have more pressing matters to consider right now. Thanks for all the good wishes. I really believe that they will help me! Diane
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

While the Doxy doesn't directly kill bacteria, it starves them out through a process which keeps them from continuing to receive the proteins they need from their host cells. When they come out into the bloodstream, they are vulnerable to the immune system. Mycoplasmas cannot live forever inside host cells. Eventually they must come out in search of new host cells to infect. If they are starved out in large numbers, they will die off in large numbers.

The Doxy prevents them from replicating, and eventually, they will die as their numbers decrease. That is why the initial Herx is usually the worst one.

Love, Mikie
  9. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I would contact your Oncologist.
    I will be praying everything goes well for you!

Susan B.