Just Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lisa2007, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Lisa2007

Lisa2007 New Member

I and a 47 and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last week. My doctor put me on a muscle relaxor to help me go into the deep sleep that is needed to help muscles restore themselves. Over the weekend my condition grew worse and I can barely walk. My muscles are jerking and I am exhausted. I have a call into my doctor.

The only one in my family that knows about this is my husband. I am afraid to tell my family because I am afraid they won't believe me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Help!!!
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

Sorry to hear you have FMS. I also have it and Osteo Arthritis (OA). I take a muscle relaxer also. Did the DR not give you any pain meds? I take tramadol/Ultram and just started on Neurotin. Many of us also take other meds based upon our situation.

Yes the "FAMILY" thing is rough. My Dad is finally starting to "get it" somewhat ... but I am treated as a crazy witch by everyone else. It can also affect your friendships/social life. Someone will probably place the "Letter to Normals" on here for you ;-) .

((((((((((( We Understand ))))))))))) Welcome to the board Lisa.
  3. Lisa2007

Lisa2007 New Member

You know it is like a silent prison that you are in. You are held captive by this thing. I have all these emotions going on right now, guess I just need time to process everything.
  4. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I am Lisa, too, and am 43. The muscle relaxer did the same to me, until I started tweaking the dose by cutting the pills down. It was just way too strong to start off.

What are you taking, flexeril?? Cut them into fourths and try that or even more if you have too. I promise it will help you not to feel so "out there" and yet, hopefully, still provide you with the rest and relaxation you need. I have gradually worked up to needing the full dose now, after about four years on it.

Work with your doc until you find a combination of meds that will help you. Also.....research research research! There are alot of herbal supplements that can help also. You have a great resource here to tap into. Go to a good health food store and ask someone there.

Try not to worry about your family and friends right now. Concentrate on getting healthier. Print out some info on Fibro and give it to them. Let them read about from the experts instead of trying to give it to them by mouth. (Just my suggestion.)

You have a great place to learn here. Welcome and blessings to you!
    Maia

5. Lisa2007

Lisa2007 New Member

Yes, I am on flexril. I will try your suggestions, maybe this will help. Lots to learn. If I can find a support group in my area then my husband and I will attend.
  6. Poppy2

Poppy2 New Member

I also went through a stint a while ago where I could hardly walk. Super painful, and it took quite a while for my leg muscles to get better, still have a hard time with them. I also cut my doze of muscle relaxer back, or else find it impossible to function. Try to do gentle exercises of some kind, as it will help. Good luck poppy
  7. bluewing

bluewing New Member

Lisa, you're lucky to be diagnosed. It took 45 years of pure h... before I knew I wasn't alone, I had never heard of it. One clue I can give you is whatever you do one day will have to be paid for the next (my experience.) And after all these years, not many of my relatives have (nor want to) any idea of our suffering. But if you want to try to explain to special ones get some copies of a good description of fms and give them one.

This is the best place to get understanding...and your doctor will be able to help you more, just keep your appointments until you feel he is doing all he can. There are things to make it somewhat better for us.

I have fms, cfs/me, arthritis and d. disc disease. And I still have hope that one day we WILL get meaningful help. Yes, we definitely will!
  8. Kazah

Kazah New Member

welcome!

this is a fantastic place, use it. I truly don't know what I would do without it.

It's difficult when trying to explain to people what's going on as it can be so different from day to day or minute to minute but there is lots of info on the site and in this chat room to help you out.

I only 'came out' to the majority of people I felt needed to know after visiting this place. I had been hiding it for 10 years or more. It was like a wieght lifted because at least people know that there is a reason i'm not going out etc.

I think the problem is that you can explain this but unless you have it it is impossible to understand and it can be very frustrating that just because you haven't been out for the count in pain that day you must be feeling better! They can't help it - they don't get it but we do and we're all here to help.

good luck on your quest to feel better.

kazah
  9. Lisa2007

Lisa2007 New Member

I watched your video. I understand, thank goodness I now know that there are others that understand too. I do a lot of writing and have written something about my diag with FS. Thank you for being dilegent to share your story and resources about FS. I am going to give some of them a try.

Blessings to you...