Just diagnosed with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by buddwoman, Mar 20, 2006.

1. buddwoman

buddwoman New Member

Hello, this is all new to me and I hope someone can help me understand. I have been having extreme pain in my legs, feet, knees, neck, and basically all over. My doctor started me on Amitriptyline 25mg and I was a zombie and couldn't even drive. Now I am on Cymbalta 30 mg and then in a week start on 60mg daily. I also take Naproxen 500mg twice daily. I honestly do not see these meds changing anything, plus I am not sleeping at night. I sure would love to hear some suggestions. I was told about something called Synthovial Seven. Any input sure would be appreciated. All I know is I pray I don't wake up in the middle of the night to walk down the hallway, I hurt that bad! I am very depressed and could use some advice.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

You have come to the right place. There is so much information and support here. You will learn a lot. It's tough at the beginning to try to find your way through everything but one step at a time.

Tackling your sleep disorder is one of the most important things. This is so common with Fibro. Ask for a sleep study and then hopefully, you can get a med. that will help you sleep. You may need something stronger for pain but see how the Cymbalta does when you raise the dose.

Take some time to read old posts; you can search topics at the top left of this page. Ask all the questions you want. Somebody will be able to help.

Kathy.
  3. buddwoman

buddwoman New Member

Thank you Kathy and Bet64 for the nice welcome. I have been reading some of the posts, and I have alot to learn.
    From what I understand, it never gets better, only worse.
    This scares me because I take care of my 83 year old mother and right now I am very tired and weak myself.
    I also am using the Lavender Oil at bedtime.
    I wish I could stay up later and read all the messages out there, but it is 10:30 now and I am heading for bed.
    I am sooooo glad I came across this board tonight!!!

Barb
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

Just wanted to welcome you to this website also. I haven't been here long and I have found a lot of support. Just hang in there. We are all in the same boat and are always here for each other!! You are not alone. welcome!!!!!
  5. CarolK

CarolK New Member

I'M sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with FM.. but I am glad to see that you have found this Board.

You will find lots of help and support here and lots of very good information to help you.

Come here often and when you need some understanding hearts to listen to you, well there are plenty here to lend an ear. You will find lots of support and lots of good information.

And don't be afraid to ask lots and lots of questions... that's how this board works... when someone asks a question we all learn. You will also find lots of good coping stratagies and ideas to help you through your difficult days.

Also make use of the library for some good articles... and remember that you can do a topic search to find certain subjects discussed in the past.

All in all there is a wealth of information here and I believe this is one of the best (if not thee best) FM/CFS boards on the internet today.

Soft hugs and a very warm welcome to yiou Buddwoman!!

Blessings... CarolK

PS... be sure to live one day at a time... don't borrow worries from tomorrow... learn to "live in the moment" and not take life so seriously... and most of all LOVE AND LAUGH MUCH!
  6. msmac

msmac New Member

Amitriptiline is the best sleep med, did you try it at night only? It will take Cymbalta a week or so before you feel better. I loved it, but it got tooo expensive.
  7. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I was just diagnosed 3 1/2 weeks ago. However, I am happy to report that the changes in my medication are helping me function.

On the prescription front, I was already on Cymbalta as part of my bipolar cocktail - Cymbalta 60 mg, Trileptal 600 mg, Seroquel 600 mg.

My docs added 50 mg Flexeral bedtime to relax the muscles and my Seroquel dose was upped to 600 mg. I also added Valerian root (500mg capsule) and Melatonin 3mg at bedtime. I take all of my bedtime meds approximately 90 minutes before lights out and go to sleep when I can't keep my eyes open any more.

Seroquel is useful because it is a non addictive antipsychotic drug with sedating effects. Prior to Seroquel, I used trazodone. For me it works as a mood stabilizer with the bipolar.

During the daytime my doc added Adderall - I take 10 mg when I first get up and 10 mg at lunchtime and if I absolutely need it I take 5 mg around 3 pm. This has made all the difference. My fatigue level was so high that I was in jeopardy of losing everything I hold near and dear. I just couldn't get out of bed to live my life.

Now I can function. It is my personal experience that getting this support to keep me functioning is healthier for me. I also radically changed my diet and boosted my supplement intake (multivitamin, acidophilus, NADH, CoQ10, L-carnitine, Biotin, melatonin and valerian). Exercise is returning as useful also.
  8. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Welcome Buddwoman! I don't have much to add at this time (not doing so hot), but as you can see, there is a great deal of information shared within this community. You will learn so much hear, as I am, and will become more knowledgeable in your illness and the bonus: make lots of friends! Take care!

Prickles - my gosh! Are you sure you're only 20? I am thankful for all the information you post and your knowledge is very helpful. I've had this crud for over 6 years, but have learned SO much more from everyone here than I have from ANY of my doctors. Thank you so much!

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  9. loops1988

loops1988 New Member

hi there,
    i have tried every medication that my GP can think of and nothing has worked.
    i have had accupunture that didnt work,
    i have physio every week but not working
    i am due to try hydrotherepy which i hope will work
    i have done yoga which hasnt worked
    i have tried natural rememdes and herbs (not worked)
    i just hope to god a cure is found soon i cant cope anymore.
    i manage to sleep with my electric blanket on all night but i wake up and im not refreshed at all
    i wake in the middle of the night because i have numb legs and arms and cant get comfortable and i sleep during the day more then i do at night.
    i lose concentration so easily and i have started to lose control of my bladder.

hope everyone has found someting that controls there pain.

louise
  10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Hang in there, it sounds hopeless but some do get better! If you find some underlying infections like Candida or bacteria infections or other things that can be treated you will feel better. It takes time, patience and endless dr visits.
    Keep us posted!
  11. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

HI WELCOME ABOARD, THIS IS A WONDERFUL PLACE TO LAND. LOTS OF INFO. FROM THOSE WHO SUFFER ALSO. I AM USING XANAX A SMALL DOSAGE AND 50MG. GRAPE SEED EXTRACT TO REST AT NITE. ALSO AM DOING ION THERAPY TREATMENTS ON MY FEET AND HANDS AND FEEL BETTER THAN I HAVE IN YEARS. LOOK FOR SOME ONE IN YOUR AREA FOR THE ION TREATMENTS AND YOU CAN BUY THE MACHINE FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. IT IS TAKING TOXINS OUT OF MY SYSTEMS YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE. GOOD LUCK, HUGS VERTIE